StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for (and not really finding) the official procedure for bleeding a 2009 with ABS brakes. I'd like to know if (for example) there are additional bleeders on the ABS unit, and in what order you need to bleed them.

In the BMW world, the procedure depends on the what generation of ABS your bike has. Some require powering the ABS unit. Wondering what the equivalent procedure is for this bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
The procedure for bleeding ABS brakes is no different than the non ABS. The ABS supplement in the service manual just refers to the '04 manual for bleeding.

·
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
bleeding ABS brakes

OK, thanks. I'll proceed as usual.
Did it go OK?

I need to rebuild my front calipers, and want to be prepared for bleeding an ABS Wee

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Keep in mind that if the vertical hose from the master cylinder to the caliper gets air in it, air bubbles rise, so it needs to be bled from the top. Bleed as usual, then crack the banjo bolt at the master cylinder (rag under to catch the fluid), squeeze the grip, tighten the bolt, release, correct the fluid level, repeat, repeat. It can be tedious, but it'll finally yield a firm lever. It sometimes helps to strap the lever down to the grip overnight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree there is no significant difference on how to bleed brakes with or with out abs system. To fasten the bleeding process you can use of a bleeding tool such as this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have one of those vacuum bleeders. Works great when you don't touch the master cylinder banjo bolt or let the master cylinder go dry. I still had to bleed trapped air from the bolt after putting a new extended hose in.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
soon to find out

for the seond time dealer is trying to get the correct seals for my front calipers, and after he suceeds I will be bleeding my 2007DL650A front brakes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
for the seond time dealer is trying to get the correct seals for my front calipers, and after he suceeds I will be bleeding my 2007DL650A front brakes.
As long as you keep the master cylinder filled with fluid, should be a piece of cake when you bleed the front calipers.

To make your life a little bit easier, I would get speed bleeders, especially if you replace your brake pads often. Almost all DL bleeders have to be ordered online.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
it was NOT easy

here is my sequence for front calipers

install SpeedBleeders on front calipers

1. bleed front right
  2. Bleed front left
  3. crack banjo bolt
  4. zip tie brake lever a few times
  5. ride bike around the block, including hills
repeat ALL the above after installing a MC banjo bolt with a bleeder (use bleeder instead of cracking MC banjo bolt)

finally, remove both brake calipers, left side first, suck out some MC fluid, remove brake pads, push pistons ALL the way in with C-clamps, reinstall, reset MC fluid.

Totally firm lever is the final result.

Evening Update: lever is still very firm after morning and evening commute :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
update on front brakes

Well, after comparing my front lever pull to two other bikes (a 2002 1150GS and a new Versys) - my brake lever has way too much trvel. Tme to repeat the effort.

The lever pull on the 1150GS was rock solid from the start - no slop at all !!

·
38,047 Posts
You can't really compare to other bikes. Proper travel varies. If you can't pull the lever back to contact the grip no matter how hard you try, chances are there isn't an air bubble to purge.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
nice perspective

You can't really compare to other bikes. Proper travel varies. If you can't pull the lever back to contact the grip no matter how hard you try, chances are there isn't an air bubble to purge.
I did bleed them again - a "light bleed" (I did not get out my C-clamps and compress the caliper pistons) . Its better now, but not as good as the other two bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts