Strom Trooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maintenance debacle took a little longer than expected. I had quite a few things needing replaced after an AK trip I returned from nearly 2 months ago.

I had to remove the tank to clean the air filter, check the valve clearances, etc. Had an incident where I stripped a valve cover bolt hole and had to time-sert it.

Today I installed the tank (full tank) and tried to fire it up. Nothing. Checked the plugs: sparks but dry as a bone. Charged the battery for full voltage; cranks better but still nothing. Can't smell fuel out of the exhaust. However, It does seem to be getting fuel to an extent. I remember I had the dreaded leak in the carb area during my trip. My assumption is there may be some gummed fuel somewhere in line or in the injector. I dumped a bottle of Seafoam into the tank a few hours ago. Figure I give it a night to soak; maybe it'll break something free.

Just curious if anyone else has an idea on how to overcome this. Search didn't seem to pull up similar instances.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Carb???? Isn't the engine fuel injected? If your battery is weak to a certain point, electrical systems will not function correctly. As a check for this problem, I'd jump the bike off with a strong battery such as ZTR mower if available. My Exmark mower's battery is rated at 320 cranking amps which is higher than the Wee's. I'm fishing here but perhaps your battery is old and can't supply the reserve amperage to start the engine so the system goes into a 'protection' mode. This is simply a starting point for troubleshooting. Also, when you removed the tank for the valve clearance job, did you make sure ALL electrical connections have been re-made?...especially at the airbox.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. I'm just use to calling it a carb. This is the first FI bike I've owned. If you notice in the other half of my post, I refer to it as an "injector" instead of a "jet".

It can't really be an electrical issue if fuel isn't even getting into the cylinder. It's a brand new AGM battery I purchased not even 6 months ago before I left for my trip.

I've checked and re-checked the wiring and everything is connected. I've checked the valve clearance on this bike 4 times already without trouble.

Seafoam trick doesn't appear to have worked.

I don't have a "carb" diagram. I was wondering if there were any ports or places I could shoot some carb cleaner to maybe loosen something up? Or, in general, just give it a cleaning.

·
Registered
538 Posts
... As a check for this problem, I'd jump the bike off with a strong battery such as ZTR mower if available. My Exmark mower's battery is rated at 320 cranking amps which is higher than the Wee's. I'm fishing here but perhaps your battery is old and can't supply the reserve amperage to start the engine so the system goes into a 'protection' mode. This is simply a starting point for troubleshooting. Also, when you removed the tank for the valve clearance job, did you make sure ALL electrical connections have been re-made?...especially at the airbox.
You don't have to use a motorcycle or mower battery to jump start it, you can use a car battery just as easy. But you are correct that it could not have enough juice to start. Just because it's cranking doesn't mean it has enough power. ANY battery that sits CONNECTED for longer than a few weeks should go on a charger and be disconnected or it WILL drain the battery, doesn't matter how new it is.

You might hav toasted your battery, but its unlikely with agm, just dont assume that it is good because its new. jump it and then come back with another symptom if that fails. No need to jump to conclusions on complicated problems when easy troubleshooting has not been done.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It can't really be an electrical issue if fuel isn't even getting into the cylinder.
Really? How do you think the injectors work?

I've checked and re-checked the wiring and everything is connected. I've checked the valve clearance on this bike 4 times already without trouble.

Seafoam trick doesn't appear to have worked.

I don't have a "carb" diagram. I was wondering if there were any ports or places I could shoot some carb cleaner to maybe loosen something up? Or, in general, just give it a cleaning.
It's not very likely that anything is gummed up enough to prevent firing. A couple months is nothing, and the injection system is pretty much sealed up. Fuel doesn't just evaporate from it like a carbureted system.

More likely plugged filter if no fuel is getting through, but would be odd if it was running fine when you parked it.

Spray some quick-start ether in the intake snorkel and then try starting. It should fire for a second if you are getting spark. If not, investigate why no spark. If it does fire on ether, then you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

Sounds like something was left disconnected when you had it apart. Check again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? How do you think the injectors work?
Point taken! lol.

Gentlemen, I'm ashamed to admit it but I noticed the problem. After two months, I may have forgotten a few things. As I was checking the battery terminals, I noticed a connector wasn't connected. I assumed it was my aux. cigarette port connector so I just moved on. Then I thought about it a little more and traced it back...helps if the PCIII is grounded. Hence, why there wasn't any fuel being delivered to the engine, lol.

Embarrassing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
won't fire

Had the same problem. It was the PCIII. I dumped my PC and got my stk ECU reprogamed with a Youshi box. Took all day, yest riding. Now it's the best it's ever run.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I did the Yosh box remap on mine too. Best mod to the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts