StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I want to replace the stock horn with a much louder unit, but was wondering if someone might tell me where it is located. I've had the plastic parts off and did not see it. Is it hidden behind the radiator somewhere?

Thx to whoever responds.
Behind the rad on the right side. Look carefully, it's there...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's not hard to see it, feel it, and unplug it. Removing it probably isn't worth the effort. I haven't added a better horn yet, but most people seem to leave the old horn in and utilize the existing plug.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
It's a challenge if you don't loosen the radiator and tilt it forward. I did mine without that step though. Lie on the ground look up to locate it get ahold of the connector and pull it out. Get yourself a length of solid copper wire fish it through from the other side hook it and pull it through (unless you are going to mount horn on the right). Leave the horn where it is. If you choose to sell bike and want your horn for the next bike all you have to do is plug it back in.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Use the original wiring from the horn.

Thx for the speedy reply Janice, I'll take another look. Is it hard to get to? I was going to use the same wires and extend them for use with the new horn since I will be mounting it in a different place for ease of installation.

mjs
I installed a Stebel air horn and used the existing horn wires to trigger it. You can make up a cable with male spade connectors and plug it directly into the horn connector that you pull off the horn, assuming that you're using a relay to power the new horn. Worked well for me.

No need to remove the existing horn, as it doesn't seem to get in the way of anything. :p

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Is there not a relay on there already for the old one?

mjs
Nope. It's wired directly to the button. Don't try that with a decent horn though.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Horn relays are SPST(4 terminals) rated at 30 or 40A.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Surely noted & thx once again Pat. I learned much today that has saved me searching for answers elsewhere. Finally a new membership somewhere has paid off. Sure it's just a "no big deal" horn swap, but good to know there are folks actually monitoring the site and getting answers quickly. I look forward to future interaction with you folks.

Kind regards to all
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Good to know & thx. What type (rating) of relay should I look for?
Just a standard automotive relay. Either 4 or 5 pins. Any decent aftermarket horn is gonna draw more power than you'd want to run through your switch without a relay. They're easy to install, the wiring is bonehead easy.

It makes me crazy that almost all the bikes come with anemic little horns that wouldn't wake a kitten. When some cager tries to kill me, I'd at least like them to know they've incurred my displeasure.

What I'd really like is twin laser cannons...

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Appreciate the added input Janice. Do you still have many of the bikes listed in your signature? I used to have a Black 94 Nighthawk 750, it came from NJ with 4700 miles and original tires - a great MC. Sold it 18 months later for the same I paid + 10K extra miles.

mjs
Naw, my relationship with my bikes has always been monogamous.

It's just easier that way... :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts