StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be installing a new Clutch Basket in my DL1000 over the next few weeks. When I do that I will likely need t refill my Coolant.

I am not near my bike today (Freezing Drizzle) do I don't have access to my owner's manual and the shop manual is at home. We are in lockdown here in Ontario as of midnight tonight and I want to pick up some coolant on the way home before the stores close or all go to curbside service.

Can one of you please let me know the coolant capacity of the DL1050?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2,13 l (2,3 US qt, 1,9 Imp qt) für den DL1000
2,13 l (2,3 US qt, 1,9 Imp qt) for the DL1050

Tom
Dankeschön!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I changed out the coolant a few weeks back when the valves were adjusted.When filling the radiator, the most that would go in was 2.0 Qts. and .2 in the reservoir. 18 1000 but same specs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Any particular reason to change the coolant? Why not reuse it?

When I did my clutch basket (2002 DL1000) my coolant was less than two years old. So I just drained it into a clean bucket, and once I was finished, poured it back into the bike. I spilled a bit but I had some coolant left over from a previous service and used that to make up the balance. Oil, same story BTW.

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any particular reason to change the coolant? Why not reuse it?

When I did my clutch basket (2002 DL1000) my coolant was less than two years old. So I just drained it into a clean bucket, and once I was finished, poured it back into the bike. I spilled a bit but I had some coolant left over from a previous service and used that to make up the balance. Oil, same story BTW.
Yes I could reuse it as the coolant would be perfectly fine since my DL1050 is only 6 months old with just over 25,000 km. I don't trust myself to keep the coolant clean when draining and antifreeze is pretty cheap. For $16 Can$ it isn't worth the trouble for me.

Oil is a bit more but again for the price of oil and the chance of contaminating the oil getting new oil is worth it for me.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I am going to be installing a new Clutch Basket in my DL1000 over the next few weeks. When I do that I will likely need t refill my Coolant.
Changing the clutch? Is that a "need to " or a "want to"?

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the clutch? Is that a "need to " or a "want to"?
Totally a "Want to" .

Just changing the clutch basket because I really liked the improvement it made in my 2015 DL1000. Terry at Werks (aka @realshelby ) makes a great product and has great support. I figure I am going to do it sooner or later so what not now?

..Tom

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I was prepared to do that on my 2014 DL100 but so far, so good. All I have is minor idle hammer. (40,000k's now).

Not saying don't do it, if I'd been in the US not OZ I'd probably have done the same.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Totally a "Want to" .

Just changing the clutch basket because I really liked the improvement it made in my 2015 DL1000. Terry at Werks (aka @realshelby ) makes a great product and has great support. I figure I am going to do it sooner or later so what not now?

..Tom
For information sharing, #1 is the clutch for 1050 unchanged from the last update? and #2 Suzi says (ad copy) the rad is xx% larger than previously. More coolant or not? Thanks for sharing . TM

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was prepared to do that on my 2014 DL100 but so far, so good. All I have is minor idle hammer. (40,000k's now).

Not saying don't do it, if I'd been in the US not OZ I'd probably have done the same.
I did mine on my 2015 DL1050 at 174,400 km. It was a huge improvement and I swore I wouldn't wait so long on my next bike. I don't feel any pressing need to install it but with being in a lock down and it being wry and icy lately my riding is cut down so ira a good time to do it.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does/will the clutch basket effect warranty?
I suppose it would if the modified clutch basket caused an issue but I have never heard of that happening.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For information sharing, #1 is the clutch for 1050 unchanged from the last update? and #2 Suzi says (ad copy) the rad is xx% larger than previously. More coolant or not? Thanks for sharing . TM
According to Terry @realshelby there are some minor changes but they don't address the issues he fixes.

As far as coolant capacity goes @idewas had the correct amounts.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Tell me about this lock down @V-Tom.

How much warning? Any trips allowed? What if you go out and get caught....

I figure the USA will be in the same boat with the Commies we just elected......BTW, this is a serious question.....

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I figure the USA will be in the same boat with the Commies we just elected......BTW, this is a serious question.....
Everyone is supposed to stay home except for essential things like getting food, health care, going to work, etc. Many work places are closed and wherever possible people are supposed to work from home. (My work isn't closed although we have half staff and are now at work every other day.) There are big fines I think starting at $500 Can$ but its not like there are roadblocks or anything.

Traffic heading to work this morning wasn't really and different than the rest of this week has been as lots of people already working from home.

I will be riding to work on nice days but this week has been very sketchy with freezing drizzle every morning and the risk of icy roads and parking lots.(I only have about 500 miles in 2021 so far with les than 200 miles commuting,)

..Tom

·
Registered
244 Posts
According to Terry @realshelby there are some minor changes but they don't address the issues he fixes.

As far as coolant capacity goes @idewas had the correct amounts.

Thanks V-Tom for update. The coolant vol had me puzzled, and the clutch assy gained a lighter action at the lever compared to my 2012. If I keep it I will be calling Terry at WERX. Thanks for the latest details for the Stromnation.

View attachment 281502

..Tom

·
Registered
244 Posts

Certainly I was thinking of similar issues traveling as the weather warms. I wonder if will remain State to State for regulation/behavior modification. (nudge)

·
Registered
44 Posts

I am not near my bike today (Freezing Drizzle) do I don't have access to my owner's manual and the shop manual is at home. We are in lockdown here in Ontario as of midnight tonight and I want to pick up some coolant on the way home before the stores close or all go to curbside service.

Can one of you please let me know the coolant capacity of the DL1050?

Thanks,

Tom
Hi Tom, I have done only 1600 miles on mine and I love the clutch action (smooth and very light) I know you do a big mileage, and was curious as to what your clutch feels like as to when it was new. How many miles have you now done? And if your clutch still feels ok; what will the difference feel like once you change ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts