StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Power Commander III USB in my DL1000K3. I am using the M311-001 map - 02-03 Model for Completely Stock Bike. This map checks out with the computer, both cylinders are mapped the same.

I wasn't completely satisfied, it seemed to lack the old punchy acceleration, so I yanked the secondary butterfly valves.

Wow! What a difference! Bike now pulls from 1500 to 9500. It is smooth the whole way up. It is just a smidge rough at 3000-4000, a really small smidge. At 4000-7000 it's like an electric engine, then gets a bet fiesty. Acceleration is far better than brisk. I'm happy.

Gas mileage went from 41mpg to 43mpg for same riding conditions. Not bad, better performance, better mileage, such a deal!

However, there is a "fly in the ointment". I occassionally get a small backfire, especially when the bike is hot (3 bars). This occurs at low rpms, when I start a slow acceleration. There seems to be a lull in the engine just before the backfire.

I'm running the idle about 1400 to keep it from stalling. I may be able to lower it. I set it before PCIII and removing the secondaries.

Any ideas on how to fix this backfiring?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like a balancing of the throttle bodies is in order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got an '05 DL1000 set up similar to yours: stock air filter, stock pipes, and a PC USB III. I recently gave it a "secondary-ectomy", and I've got to agree. It ran great before, but removing the STPs takes the bike to a whole new level; it's magic.

As for your backfire issue, if all else is in order, you may want to try a different map. I have (what appears to be) a custom tuned version of map M311-501. I bought the bike used, and the PC was all ready installed. I recently pulled the map down from the bike to check out what version was installed. The file was named M311-501 but was different from the version off the Dynojet site.

If you want a copy of the map, let me know and I will e-mail you a copy. Again, I'm not sure who did the tuning, but I cannot imagine my bike running any better.

Rick
<><

J

·
0 Posts
Where can I get a detailed HOW TO for a "secondary-ectomy" With pics etc..

I think I should do this after reading all the PROs

Any CONs?

Thanks from a new guy.

J

·
0 Posts
When I look at the part drawings there are two sets of butterflys.

I would think the top would be the primarys and the lower the secondarys... I don't want to remove the wrong ones.

The write up makes it sound like they are the TOP most round plate/butterfly

Is this true?

Sounds like a MUST DO...

Any other MUST DOs for this bike.. (I have the teka re-map, center stand on the way, and a new WindStrom Manta)

BrianMA and I are taking a trip this coming week. He's got 3 days off and we want to see how far south we can go. LOL... Let's hope for warm and DRY weather!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The set nearest the air filter, or the top are the secondary butterflies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts