StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you are aware of the issues I had with my K7 Strom concerning a gear that broke on a camshaft.. My bike is together and running better than it ever has.. Have put about 500 miles on the replacement engine and it seems to be strong, quiet, and healthy..

My question is this.. Having put an engine in that now has about 12k miles on it, and the bike had 38k, what kind of effect does that have on the value of the bike? Would that scare someone off or be more appealing? Ive toyed with selling it last fall and again this year.. Thank goodness someone didn't buy it last fall, I would have felt terrible had the engine gone south on them.. It is a super clean bike and been pampered its whole life..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great timing to post this question. I can't answer it for you, but I'm in a similar situation. Mind if I piggyback on your thread? In my case, I have a mostly stock '04 DL1000 with 40k miles. The engine's had regular tunes, but is probably due for another one. It's been completely reliable. What's a reasonable sales price (farkles aside)?

Cheers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your engine feeling weak or using oil? I understand that the DL/SV engines can go over 100k rather easily.. Mine was just a fluke from what Dealers and fellow stromtroopers are telling me..

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you have documented proof of the miles on the replacement engine it would be a push/add a couple of $$ on the value. The cam gear issue is well documented here so the story could be easily verified as to why the engine was replaced. Provide leak down numbers to any prospective buyer so they can feel good about the engine condition.

If you have no documentation as to how many miles are on the replacement engine then I would sell the bike as a 38K miler and call it good. Just say the replacement engine had nearly the same miles on it. If you don't have paperwork then it is just your word to a buyer that doesn't know you. Everytime I've looked at a vehicle that has had the engine replaced it always has some unusually low mile engine with no paperwork to back up the sellers story.

No offence intended, but this would be a bike I would pass on if you don't have all the proper documentation as the the replacement engine's condition and mileage. Documentation will be everything here.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My question is this.. Having put an engine in that now has about 12k miles on it, and the bike had 38k, what kind of effect does that have on the value of the bike? Would that scare someone off or be more appealing?
Speaking for myself, big red flag, would not touch it with a 10' pole.

My feeling, they are not so rare, that I cannot find another, with a less colourful history, so unless there is SUBSTANTIAL savings, why bother.

Now, the only caveat would be how and who dealt with the re/re of the new motor.

If an authorized Zook dealer did the swap, and there was a nice paper-trail and documentation, this would go a long way in providing someone like me, with confidence it was done 100% legit, and correct...yes, that may be only a perception, but it is what it is.

If I was dealing with a seller, who did this on his on, in his garage, with beers and buds, I would be suspicious of selling motive, almost regardless of what I was told. Again, an easy enough bike to be found without the drama, why take extra chances?

Now, I also know that some people may be more than skilled to do the swap, be selling it for 100% legit, and unrelated reasons, and that buying something used, with no colourful story, could result in problems galore, BUT...it's a calculated risk when buying used items like this, and that's how I approach things like this.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I have is the documentation from the selling company. The original VIN of the bike the engine came out of, the engine vin, odometer reading and receipt..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As far as dealer installation I talked with both my local dealers who have kids doing service work.. The last time I had it in they created a mess.. I just plain don't trust the local shops.. The last city I lived in I owned/operated an ATV/ Snowmobile/ Watercraft repair shop and have done plenty of atv/snowmobile engine and complete frame swaps. Im meticulous with any bike and was very thorough where I may be keeping this bike for years to come.. I still have people call me asking if Ive opened a new shop yet.. My back just can't handle the heavy lifting and leaning over all the time..

When someone talks about an authorized dealer who has 18 year olds rebuilding and installing engines it makes me cringe to think about taking something I own there.. I was changing the fluids in my King Quad last week and went into the closest Suzuki dealer to my work to get the rear diff fluid. The manual specifies hydraulic fluid for wet brakes.. The dealer handed me a bottle of oil and said "suzuki doesn't make an oil for their rear diffs, but this is what we use".. I said interesting, I gave him the Suzuki part number and said I had what was left of a quart at home.. Then he had to do some checking to see if Suzuki actually did sell the oil.. Funny enough they did, they just didn't stock it.. The oil he was trying to sell me was GL-4 and not hydraulic fluid.. He said it will work, if it starts making noise just add a friction modifyer.. Needless to say I just shook my head and walked out.. The dealer closest to my house broke my center stand when changing a tire and said it was already weak and would have broken anyhow and took no responsibility for it.. And my chain tension was off as well as the wheel was not aligned.. Thus my wonderful trust in dealers...

I will probably just run the wheels off this thing, I was just curious if it did help or hinder the possiblity of a sale.. Thanks for the input though...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is your engine feeling weak or using oil? I understand that the DL/SV engines can go over 100k rather easily.. Mine was just a fluke from what Dealers and fellow stromtroopers are telling me..
Actually, when I said I'm in a similar situation, I meant that I'm also considering selling my bike and that I'm curious as to the value, not that I've had anything close to a broken camshaft. (That said, I'm guessing I'll need to start my own thread before long; my piggyback inquiry is likely buried. ;)

But to echo a couple other folks' responses, I'd probably stay away from purchasing yours unless the price was a significant bargain... generally speaking. From my perspective, I don't have the knowledge or the tools to do most of my own engine maintenance, so I tend to steer myself toward objects with a quiet history and toward sellers who have a readily verifiable reputation. And I'm usually willing to pay more for that piece of mind. That said, you sound like you're well represented here, so if I was in the market for a bike, I'd probably see if you have enough of a positive history in these forums to be trustworthy... but again, for me, the price would still have to be competitive.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
phlooburoo, I know I had a hard time last fall trying to sell my Vee with 34k on it.. People don't like the higher miles and there are a bunch of Vstroms out there with 1/4-1/3 the miles.. I think once it gets over that 20k mark you are either going to give it away or you have to ride it into the ground.. It looks as though I will just ride her for years to come.. Its in too good of shape and even with a fresher engine from the sounds of it its most likely worth more to me than it would be to anyone else..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Snownut, I'd say it is a wash. In fact, I don't think you have any obligation to tell the buyer that the engine is a swap. Just mention that it runs really well and sell it for what a bike with 38k on the odometer is worth.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
People don't like the higher miles and there are a bunch of Vstroms out there with 1/4-1/3 the miles.. I think once it gets over that 20k mark you are either going to give it away or you have to ride it into the ground.
Haha, you're absolutely right, which is why I tend own a bike for 2 seasons max, as by that time, I've hit the magic number for maximum resale....it's really sad actually......my 2009 Wee, had approx 20k miles when I sold it.....it was a 1.5yr old bike, like brand new still, perfect in every way, but, the silly stigma with mileage, crazy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think once it gets over that 20k mark you are either going to give it away or you have to ride it into the ground.
That's sort of what I figured. Not necessarily a bad thing, though, to keep my Strom for years to come. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After my ride yesterday I gave her a wash and wax job and just general cleaning tonight.. When I sit and look at it all clean Im just not sure I can part with her anyhow.. She really is running well, and is still in excellent condition. Im afraid I would regret selling it at this point. My wife bought me a gremlin bell so I should have a clean road ahead... :thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
People don't like the higher miles and there are a bunch of Vstroms out there with 1/4-1/3 the miles..
Not true, VStroms sell when they have lots and lots of farkles. Farkle her up and maybe get her nails painted and she'll sell in a heartbeat.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
She is unbelievably farkled...
K7 DL1000
Sargent Seat (New) 3 rides
Alaska Leather butt pad
PIAA 004X Driving Lights
PIAA Headlights
Fenda Extenda
Cee Bailey Windshield (Perfect Strom)
Givi Crashbars
Scott Oiler
Laminar Quick Cover
Ventura Light Guard
Rivco Highway Pegs
KTM Mirrors
Richland Rich Mirror Extensions
Oem Hardcase Luggage
Handlebar Heaters
Dynojet Power Commander
K&N Air Filter
Richland Rich Rear bushing Kit (new sealed bearings at same time)
Vista Cruise
Richland Rich Fork Brace
Progressive Fork Springs & Rebuild (two months ago)
New Tank Bra

[/IMG]

This picture was yesterday...
[/IMG]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is that a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS I spy on your bike in "yesterday's ride" pic? You didn't list that among your farkles.:green_lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
She is unbelievably farkled...
K7 DL1000
Sargent Seat (New) 3 rides
Alaska Leather butt pad
PIAA 004X Driving Lights
PIAA Headlights
Fenda Extenda
Cee Bailey Windshield (Perfect Strom)
Givi Crashbars
Scott Oiler
Laminar Quick Cover
Ventura Light Guard
Rivco Highway Pegs
KTM Mirrors
Richland Rich Mirror Extensions
Oem Hardcase Luggage
Handlebar Heaters
Dynojet Power Commander
K&N Air Filter
Richland Rich Rear bushing Kit (new sealed bearings at same time)
Vista Cruise
Richland Rich Fork Brace
Progressive Fork Springs & Rebuild (two months ago)
New Tank Bra
Snownut,

Where was this bike when I was looking for one in Jan and Feb? Are you on M2W

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Im sure theres still a couple farkles I couldnt think of... Cake Kat I am on m2w, I see you are friends with Mike as well.. I have been on a couple rides and bbq"s with the m2w group, and awesome group of people!! But be glad you didnt pick it up back then, the engine failure would have been yours to deal with..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is a handle bar brace I designed and made as well.. With the fork brace, progressive springs and handlebar brace its a very tight front end without a lot of vibration...

[/IMG]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I guess the interesting thing to me is when I would put a fresh engine in a snowmobile, atv, or PWC people were always willing to pay a preimium because they knew it had a fresh mill.. It didn't matter serial # matching or worries about a complete paper trail.. They just wanted to see the paperwork from the machine shop or the receipt of when I bought the engine and compression #'s. I worked on a number of $30k banshees and they could care less as long as the engine performed.. It seems strange that people would be so leary with motorcycles.. With a snowmobile in the rockies, if the engine fails you potentially could be dead. On an atv or motorcycle in the summer you can always walk out or call AAA to get a tow. I called another non suzuki dealer who is a little more reputable and ran the scenario past them.. They said they would just sell it as though it had the 38k on it and not worry about it.. They said the value of having the fresh engine counters the fact the serial #'s don't match and it would be a wash on the value.. Kind of what Cake_Kat mentioned...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts