StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I currently have a 2006 WeeStrom with about 26,000 miles on it. Which I love around town and for short 250 - 300 mile days. Obviously the fuel mileage is outstanding. 46 - 48 MPG when I flog it and 50 when I go gentle. I also have a 2005 ST1300 which I have been using for long 2 week (7,000 - 10,000 mile) trips because of the weight and stability in crosswinds and inclement weather, as well the comfort and range.

While I love the 650 but am thinking about trading the ST13 for a VStrom (DL1000) for my longer trips. Thinking that hopefully the additional weight and forkbrace, combined with the power etc would provide me some of the benefits of the ST13 without dealing with 740lbs.

My question is -- what kind of "range 'till empty" should I expect from a VStrom (DL1000)? I would hate to have to plan on gassing up every 150 miles when I am on a long trip while everybody else on their ST13's, FJR's and BMW R1200's can go at least 225 - 250 before having to stop.

Can anybody give me some guidance on what you are getting on long trips?

If it helps, I am in St. Louis and usually we "Super Slab" it until we get to Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado etc and can really enjoy the mountain roads etc.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

RBC

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can easily get 200 miles per tank and then I'm not too low. I try to not run it down until the fuel pump is no longer cooled by fuel. Then I end up putting 5 gallons or so in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've gotten 25mpg and 55mpg... biggest factors are wind and my right wrist. I've ridden long distance with the very bikes you mention (heck, one being my own FJR1300 with my DL1k piloted by a friend behind me!) - you should have no problem.

AGirl

·
Banned
307 Posts
i dont even think about fuel untill 200miles. i average 36.9 mpg w/reg. 87 octane. and i average 41.38 mpg w/91or better octane. g-luck on your trip and ride safe.

W

·
0 Posts
My DL1000 with side cases wouldn't get much more than 200 miles on a tank at highway speeds.

·
Registered
370 Posts
With wife on the back, e45 Givi top case, and Jesse side cases, fully loaded on a 5 day trip last week....200 miles between fill ups.

So the consensus seems to be 200.

What are you going to do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had both the 1000 and 650, the 1000 got better milage on the freeway driving at extended distance and speed.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
200 miles per tank is a good number to plan with.
I consistently use 5.6liters / 100km so expect to be ok riding 375 km / tank.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DL1000 Touring Range

Hi everyone, and thanks for the input.

Guess it is about time to trade in the ST13:(. The upright seating position, and at least 200 mile range between fill-ups has talked me into it.:D

About the only add on I can see me needing, as I can shift stuff back and forth between the Wee and the Vee is a forkbrace and bar riser.

Thanks again for the information everyone.

Banks

·
Registered
136 Posts
I rode 237 miles last Saturday before stopping to refuel. I forgot how many gallons I put in, but I had just started flashing one bar, and I think I had calculated that I could go about 260-265 before hitting empty. I got just under 46mpg. My average speed was probably between 75 and 80mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts