StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

What does everyone think of owning a DL1000 for street use (i.e. Sport Touring) only? In a perfect world I'd like an FJR or an ST, but since my child support makes large purchases like that impossible, I'm thinking of the DL1000 as a compromise.

I like to go fast and lean over far, but would really like the joy of all-day comfort for me and my 11-year old daughter.

My other idea might be a Bandit 1250.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
For what you are saying you want to do, and having owned 2 FJR's and 4 ST's, I would have to take a hard look at the 1250 abs. Although I do love my twins. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is pavement only. (500lb bikes have no business going off road.;))

It cruises comfortably at 80mph. I have the euro sport screen for better high speed comfort.

Probably the most comfortable bike for ST use. Doesn't do the triple digit sightseeing as well as the feejers tho.

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
MOST people seem to use the 1000 for the type of riding you desire.;) The Bandit 1250 for as great as it is....is no "great" long distance sport tourer in my humble opinion. The aftermarket parts/supplies for either Strom is incredible, few bikes can compete.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
My 1K will never intentionally see dirt. If it does it means I'm seriously lost. It is a street warrior only, and it does a bang up job at it. Power, torque, all day comfort, and that OD.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would get the Bandit 1250. The ONLY reason I got the Strom is I could pay cash for it. My wife even said I could get the Bandit 1250, but I would have had to borrow $2500, then would not have $$ for extras. I just got a 02 Strom with 5800 miles for $4000. One thing I like about the Strom is the long leg room compared to a Bandit. BTW, I used to own a Bandit 1200S.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use my '03 almost exclusively for street riding; I referee profesional bicycle races and spend a lot of time going up and downn the East Coast, and it works wonderfully - I put 6600 miles on it last year in 5 1/2 weeks, and still have NO idea how I did it! I did about 1700 miles this past Friday - Sunday, and had a blast.
The biggest downfall I would say you might experience is the lack of protection from the V; dress properly and it isn't an issue.
When I got back on my Concours last summer, I was quite surprised by how small & cramped it felt, so I sold it.

KevinL

Greetings:

What does everyone think of owning a DL1000 for street use (i.e. Sport Touring) only? >>I like to go fast and lean over far, but would really like the joy of all-day comfort for me and my 11-year old daughter.
>>Thoughts?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Do not discount the 650 as a sport touring bike. It may not have the grunt of a 1000 but it is still a capable bike.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
The Bandit is a really nice bike for ripping around but the Strom is more comfortable.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have taken mine on fire/logging roads in the Cascade Mountains. Had to go across a road wash out (need to post pictures) that a "touring" bike may not be able to accomplish (or rider would wimp out) hearly as easily. I don't push the limits by any means but I like the versatility. Great on the highway and just fine for the logging roads to get to some great lookouts.

If I wanted more dirt oriented I'd keep my LC4 but it sucks on the highway. Talk about buffeting, PLEASE.

All the complainers about the strom buffeting :( It's not a FULL DRESS. :idea: If you don't like the wind, buy a full dress bike or a car. I get very little buffeting, what I do get, I accept and expect.......... it's a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I did 4K miles in a week last summer San Diego to Yellowstone and back, with no issues with the Strom. I also did 300 miles through bradshaw trail this winter on stock tires. That was not to much fun, but with some TKC80 it would have been a blast. The stock tires suck in the deep sand.

I now have Conti Road Attach rubber, and its hard to keep from scraping pegs. The tires are supper sticky and confidence inspiring, but they take about 1k miles to scuff.

With the right rubber, this bike will do long distance ST, or some quite gnarly desert runs. The bike is absolutely planted on fire roads, but in the soft stuff it does need knobbie tires.

This summer, we are riding to Banf Canada from San Diego, we leave Aug 2nd. I will report as to how the Conti tires wear on the long slab trip.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It can do gravel great and some dirt/rock

I sold a 650 Pegaso cause it was uncomfortable to get the single cylinder 650 to fun play grounds.

I lowered my Strom by 1", which I regret cause I bottomed out on some large roots/rocks and mud holes.

It can go through stuff I would not expect it too. I had mud running over my feet in one hole.

It is a great bike for adventure touring. Now I need to get the Wee Strom seat to cure my inseam challenge and raise it back up.

Did a fun 200 mile day 140 on gravel/dirt in the Black Hills. Don't sell it too short.

·
Registered
765 Posts
After viewing video, to continue a little farther on my trek that day, I rode thru the snow like that but it was about 6" deeper up the sides. Had some shaded turns the where about 16" deep snow ruts to the road surface. It was a blast. I've got pictures of that also.

Like that guy in the video didn't do, ya gatta keep it straight or CRACK. Don't know if knobby would have saved him. Should a gassed it. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts