81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to explain this mod.?

peeshooter completely gone

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like someone totally modified the muffler. It doesn't look like that when you just remove the peashooter. You can see 2 welds on the edge of the inner pipe. Someone on the VSRI forum turned his DL650 muffler into a straight-through pipe. That's what this looks like. I've been thinking of doing this but need a couple of cans to work with.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
If you drill 4 - 6 5/16ths holes in the outer ring of both mufflers you will be very happy with the sound.. I had a set of Scorpions on that I felt did not like and were too loud.

I found the 4 holes I drilled to be just right... Nice bark to it but not loud.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I took a 1"(I think) hole saw and went straight in the end of the pipe. I used the size that just fit inside. If you drill through the first layer that you hit you will then be able to see the muffler core. This mod keeps the stock look but does open up the exaust a little. The sound is slightly louder.
CAUTION<<<This will make a lean running bike run worse.>>>CAUTION

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking down the 1000 peeshooter, the baffle just takes a turn about 12" inward. Thus I see no flat surface to holesaw????

I understand the options are

1 - cut peeshooter short near weld
2 - drill 4-6 small 1/4"-5/16" holes between pee shooter & chrome outlet
3 - do both

comments?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the Wee had a chrome outlet

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like someone totally modified the muffler. It doesn't look like that when you just remove the peashooter. You can see 2 welds on the edge of the inner pipe. Someone on the VSRI forum turned his DL650 muffler into a straight-through pipe. That's what this looks like. I've been thinking of doing this but need a couple of cans to work with.
whats a couple pipes predrilled worth to ya?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hummm, I could experiment!!!!
They are heavy, how much do you think shipping to Ohio would be?

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
If you are going to "ruin" your exhaust, at least do it like Handyhiker has told you...anything else is just leaky holes in your exhaust.;) I drilled my old cans before I got my Leo Vince exhausts, and I wish that I never had done it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't get me wrong, I'm the last one who wants the drilled leaky sound.
I don't understand handyhikers 1" holesaw suggestion.

Just looking for a deeper v-twin sound w/o the $$$$

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm the last one who wants the drilled leaky sound.
I don't understand handyhikers 1" holesaw suggestion.

Just looking for a deeper v-twin sound w/o the $$$$
Send him a private message, he can explain it allot better than I can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PM sent

Big B,

Have you ever come across a section thru the internals
of the 1K muffler?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Here are a few pics of how to do the exaust mod on a stock muffler. This makes the bike slightly louder, run slightly leaner, and gives a little bit of a deeper tone.

This is the drill bit I used. It is a 1" hole saw with an extension shaft.

Insert it into the end of the muffler.

After drilling through 1 wall inside the muffler, you can see how far it will go in.

And when you are done, it still looks stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fatal Error,

Would you be kind enough to share the description of the mod.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually the second post in that thread explains what I did. Here it is:

If you look at the end of the muffler you will see 2 coaxial cylindrical lengths of pipe with maybe a little more than 1/2" of space between them. You want to cut the inner one. If you look between the two pipes you can see where the inner pipe is welded to the circular plate that is the end of the muffler. Just make sure you cut on the outside of the weld, otherwise the pipe won't be attached to the end of the muffler (the plate) and you will get leakage from the baffle chamber and probably rattling from the pipe as well. I used a dremel (rotary tool) with a fiberglass cutting disc to cut off the peashooter, just stick it in the inner pipe and cut it from the inside. If the diameter of the disc is too big just cut something hard and wear it down so that it fits. To figure out how deep from the end to cut just stick a ruler between the two pipes and see how far in the plate/weld is from the end of the inner pipe. It's better not to cut deep enough than to cut too deep. If you don't cut deep enough you can always trim it down. It only took a couple of minutes to do both sides.

I think that if you drill holes in the end plate, which I also did and do not regret, and don't like the sound you can just tap the holes and stick some short bolts into them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts