StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading for hours, lots of good info on here.

I need to go through a 2006 front fork, looks like its on original oil and the seals are leaking. Cleaned the seals but, still pretty wet.

On a DL1000 with a 6 footer at around 260 pounds it seems the going recommendation is 1.0 front and like a 13.4 rear for aggressive twisty riding with camping gear?

Or would the rear be too stiff while solo unloaded? Feed back is appreciated. I think Sonic is the best deal for the front. What about the rear, go straight to RaceTech? Any other vendors?

Is there a stock diameter rear spring? Like on my DR650, you can get a direct replacement heavy spring from Procycle with no need for any adapters. I don't have the money for a shock rebuild yet, but I'll probably go with a Cogent rebuild when I can.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And PS, I'm going to try and get Suzuki seals today at the dealer. Or I'll just order some OEM from cheapcycleparts... That is the plan anyway.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am of like dimensions and went with 1.1 Race techs up front. Transformed the handling I had the now out of business Sasquatch rebuild and re spring my rear but there are other out there doing the same mods.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am 6'6" and 260lbs, very interested to hear others experiences as well.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On other bikes I've made the mistake of going softer than those calculators said. What would you put on the rear to match the 1.1 front?

The sonic weight calculator says 1.1 when I put in 260 for the rider, 520 for the bike, and choose aggressive street. Right now the front doesn't feel planted, the roads around here are rough, lots of chip seal and hard pack dirt. Most of my riding is on trips to the mountains loaded up. I figure I better upgrade the springs before I go camping with it.

I'm trying to clean the fork seals, they were leaking pretty bad when I rode the bike home. I think my large size pushed the seals onto a dirty area and got them to spray a bit. When I first inspected the bike for purchase the seal leaks were minimal. 40 miles since the cleaning and the left is nice and dry, the right side is a little oiled on the inner fork, not enough to drip like it was before. So at least I could ride my new to me bike to the DMV for a plate... :hurray:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
On other bikes I've made the mistake of going softer than those calculators said. What would you put on the rear to match the 1.1 front?

The sonic weight calculator says 1.1 when I put in 260 for the rider, 520 for the bike, and choose aggressive street. Right now the front doesn't feel planted, the roads around here are rough, lots of chip seal and hard pack dirt. Most of my riding is on trips to the mountains loaded up. I figure I better upgrade the springs before I go camping with it.

I'm trying to clean the fork seals, they were leaking pretty bad when I rode the bike home. I think my large size pushed the seals onto a dirty area and got them to spray a bit. When I first inspected the bike for purchase the seal leaks were minimal. 40 miles since the cleaning and the left is nice and dry, the right side is a little oiled on the inner fork, not enough to drip like it was before. So at least I could ride my new to me bike to the DMV for a plate... :hurray:
I'd stick with the 1.0s up front. The Stroms have a little more travel than the average street bike, so the calculators tend to give a rate that's a touch too stiff.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vendors are recommending the 1.0s also.

How about the rear spring? I probably should just do a spring right now till my other bike sells. I see ProCycle has springs available without adapters for the DLs too. They go from 8.0 to 16.0, I've bought many things from them over the years. Don't see any mention of the Procycle springs in my searches.

Maybe I should put my camping gear on and see, but the stock rear spring feels soft just solo with empty OEM bags with the preload maxed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think you would be making a mistake not going with 1.1s Just enough of a difference that way and much more planted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
And yes,the rear needs to be upgraded as well to get the max benefit. I finished a 7K trip this summer with full camp gear through the mountains of the west and can't imagine having done it with the stock suspension. match up that rear to your weight as well.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about oil wt? Most opinions I'm getting say 1.0s with 15wt oil?

The RT calculator leads me to a 1.08/15.8 combo. So I guess I would try 1.10 and 15.3 springs.... Decisions decisions..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depending on your preference, we would actually set you up with a much softer front spring, a .95 or even less. Rear spring wise 12 to 13.5 depending on how you are loading the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Race tech figures than to be about 2 steps to high IMHO. Definitely in the case of max traction for street riding and I ride aggressive around twisty

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm installing 1.0s in the front, I'll see if I like them. I'm no light weight and I do ride the twisty roads often loaded with camping gear. I weighed myself dressed and I'm a good 280 plus boots. I ride in touring textiles with armor. I almost always ride with three hard bags and carry around 50 pounds while touring. I want to be able to carry a passenger occasionally too. Rather be on the stiff side than bottoming out on trips.

The Race Tech info points me to a 15.82, so thats probably too stiff then? Maybe I should go one step down to a low 14 something. I have a 8.3 on my DR650 and I can easily bottom it unloaded, kinda like what I have on the DL1000 stock with a heavier bike.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Procycle rear spring is 13.4 or 14.3 is what I'm trying to decide between...

I like that the PC spring does not require adapters or spacers. Just need to decide on what rate, I'm leaning 13.4 but its hard to tell with nothing to compare. 14.3 would be one step below Race Tech calculations and 13.4 would be two. I went one step down on the fork springs, maybe I should do the same on the rear... I'll be putting 300 pounds on the bike with my normal day to day load and then around 30/40 pounds more when camping. Right now the bike really squats when getting on the throttle with the preload maxed, I know it would really suck with a load in the bags.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So...Sagebrush...what did you end up doing with your rear suspension??...I am roughly the same size and just put racetech 1.0's in the front and am thinking of just a rear spring for this year.....I am basically 6'4" tall and #300 dressed and just put luggage on the bike.

thanks

Craig

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So...Sagebrush...what did you end up doing with your rear suspension??...I am roughly the same size and just put racetech 1.0's in the front and am thinking of just a rear spring for this year.....I am basically 6'4" tall and #300 dressed and just put luggage on the bike.

thanks

Craig
I haven't done anything yet, been busy spending money on other farkles. I've lost some weight and that has helped me live with the stock spring. My plan is to have the shock rebuilt by Cogent this winter. I'll probably go with the 13.4 because I carry camping gear often.

I decided to spend my budget on a VS skid plate, engine guards, fork brace, sonic springs, side stand foot, HID lights etc. Even got a tire changer recently. Since I lost 30 pounds and bought some light weight camping gear the rear spring got pushed back a bit. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven't done anything yet, been busy spending money on other farkles. I've lost some weight and that has helped me live with the stock spring. My plan is to have the shock rebuilt by Cogent this winter. I'll probably go with the 13.4 because I carry camping gear often.

I decided to spend my budget on a VS skid plate, engine guards, fork brace, sonic springs, side stand foot, HID lights etc. Even got a tire changer recently. Since I lost 30 pounds and bought some light weight camping gear the rear spring got pushed back a bit. :mrgreen:
I recently upgraded my rear shock spring on the Vee to a rate of 14.3 kg/mm. I weigh around 220 lbs and was worried the spring would be too stiff for our crappy roads but the ride quality is reasonably good. Rebound damping has been compromised a bit but it's not too bad if the bike is loaded or I'm carrying a pillion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts