StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else finds the sidestand on the DL1000 to be....what's the opposite of confidence -inspiring? Yeah, that.

Aside from getting a center stand, has anyone beefed up the side stand, or made it more trust-worthy?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Those sidestands have held up a whole lot of bikes for the past 9 years without any significant problems.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
It would help to know if you are talking about the factory stand or aftermarket? My factory stand has given me no issues and I use it a lot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only problem I've had with mine is parking in the sand or mud. It tends to sink quickly! So now I carry a 4"x4" piece of aluminum plate on the bike to put under it for stabillity.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On the DL1000, do you step on the peg and get on the bike while it is on the side stand or do you do a ninja kick over the seat and get on without adding your weight to the bike?

I do the left foot to the peg over the sidestand and step up and swing the right leg over.... otherwise I'm to dang short to get on a bike! I've not considered that I may be able to break the sidestand!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was just remembering something I keep forgetting....my side stand has been cut down by a previous owner when he lowered the bike.

I raised the bike back up, but haven't re-modified the stand. I get an unsure feeling easing it on to the side stand, and feel it sinks too far, and maybe has too much play as well.

I never step on the peg to get on the bike, though at times I would certainly like to.

Maybe I just need to tighten things up and get my missing section welded back on.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Since you brought it up

Does your bike lean way far over, much further than you would expect it to? Further than other bikes you've owned?

Mine does. I figured that fat chick bent the stand...but maybe it was like that all along.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
CrazyGeorge, that is what I was wondering when I asked about the aftermarket sidestand. They might work great for a lowered bike, but not so much for standard height...There have been a couple people that seemed to have "sprung" the forks of the stand where it attaches. Might be easy to find a stock length sidestand used for your bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was wondering about that. I find the factory side stand much better than many I've encountered.

You should check out the factory side stand for the Concours 14, talk about not being confidence inspiring, wow. And that's a BIG bike with a wimpy wet noodle of a stand. It scared the crap out of me as it flexed back and forth just touching the bike.

The Strom side stand could use a larger foot, but that's about it IMO.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Altrider has the solution...I put something like this on every bike I buy.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I always thought the side stand didn't quite angle far enough forward, but it seems to hold the bike up OK. It always feels like one little push from the back and it will collapse. Maybe thats not true.

My bike has been lowered and i can put my knee on the seat, then swing my leg over the bags to sit on it. I don't feel confident standing on the peg to get on with the side stand. I do use this method with the center stand though. At least with the center stand i know there are two pegs straight down holding the bike up and its solid. I can't get my knee on the seat with the side stand down anyways.

I like the look of that foot attachment. Looks like a good idea.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Altrider has the solution...I put (a side stand foot) on every bike I buy.
I have a similar AltRider side stand foot on my DL1K. It works well enough, but god dang, what was I thinking when I paid $53.00 for $2.00 worth of aluminum? Next time, I'll carry a crushed soda can with me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Center Stand Upgrade

Hey Crazy Crazy,
I have never been happy with the side stand on my 07 DL1000. I bought a SMOtech center stand from Twisted Throttle and it is the perfect alternative. I looked at several center stands, including the Suzuki after market (why in the heck did they not put a center stand on this bike?) and decided on the SMOTech. It is EXTREMELY well engineered and made and was a breeze to install. Take the time to clean the threads in the frame before you start. I flushed all four holes with aresol brake part cleaner. The whole job took me 45 min. It is so nice to be able too spin the rear wheel for chain maintenience and park the bike securely in it's stall. Do some homework and get the center stand that you feel good about. The cost and small amount of work to install is worth it.

DL Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Normal Steve.

I think I'll be ordering that one as well, after doing some research. Probably going to find a local metal shop to weld a bigger foot on and maybe add an inch or 2.

Nice to know no one's broken anything!

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I have a similar AltRider side stand foot on my DL1K. It works well enough, but god dang, what was I thinking when I paid $53.00 for $2.00 worth of aluminum? Next time, I'll carry a crushed soda can with me.

Does that funky shape do anything? It looks kind of random. Or does it fit into something? I saw some for BMW bikes that looked a lot cleaner.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
to solve the small fooprint problem i just welded on some scrap steel to make a bigger footprint. Any welding shop can do this for maybe $20.

note the shape- this shape was required to fit with the centerstand without interference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
note the shape- this shape was required to fit with the centerstand without interference.
Also worth noting the shape of the sidestand extender when the bike is leaned. I have a screw on aluminium gizmo which i bought which extends the size of the baseplate, and it's only happened once, but when the bike was tipped well over to the left in a curve with a bump, and the suspension fully loaded, the extended bit hit the road and started to peel itself off the stock footplate. a bit of a bash and it was back in place, but I think that under those circumstances I'd rather have a bit of aluminium which was going to peel off and take some road damage than a welded steel plate on the base which would offer much more resistance, and therefore may have more undesirable consequences.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Drill a couple holes in the footstand pad and bolt a hockey puck onto the end. A lot cheaper than the Alt-Rider thing.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Drill a couple holes in the footstand pad and bolt a hockey puck onto the end. A lot cheaper than the Alt-Rider thing.
+2

Yep, the hockey puck mod works and it is very cheap. Be sure to countersink the bolt heads under the base of the puck. This mod was necessary after I raised my bike (1" raising links) which makes the bike lean over more on side stand. Now no sinking in softer parking areas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts