StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I hope this hasn't been covered, but do folks have any suggestions for the best budget aftermarket exhaust? I'm riding a 2008 DL1000: mostly stock, but Power Commander and a K&N airfilter. I'm looking to go aftermarket for exhaust to lose some weight and be able to better tune the bike for low end smoothness. I'm not particular about looks, sound or brand.

Two Brothers seem to be the cheapest. Any thoughts? I'm keeping an eye on e-bay and they seem to be in the range of $500 to $800, depending on the exterior finish. I'm open to buying used, but they don't seem to come up much.

Thanks,

Sweendog

·
Registered
294 Posts
...... I'm not particular about looks, sound or brand.
Wow, that's a first. Those are typically the primary concerns of most buyers.

Something to keep in mind about "budget" pipes is the build quality. Some don't last very long as they skimp on hardware and construction materials. It's not always a matter of you get more if you pay more, but it's something to pay attention to.

I've seen budget pipes with cast end caps blown right out or broken mounts etc.

The other thing is sound quality. Even if the pipe performs as you intend but gives you a headache when you ride, or "tweets" at you, you may not be happy after a few miles.

Just things to consider.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had a set of carbon two bros. on my '07 Vee for about 10 days. Too much noise for my taste, but the exhaust was well built and very easy to install. The hardware was of OEM quality so I didn't have any concerns there.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm not particular about sound...
You'll find that Two Brothers pipes tend to be the loudest aftermarket exhaust fitments, regardless of the brand or model of [Jap] motorcycle that they are installed on. Just an FYI. Decibel killers are usually available for most installations. They tend to help a bit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I picked up a set of used two Brothers for my V. They had the VALE end caps. They were a liitle too loud for me, but I bought a setof their quietest inserts, and now they sound nice. If you get ones without the VALE end caps, your limited to what inserts youcan use.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Cans

I doubt that aftermarket cans will provide any smoother low-end than the stock mufflers, since you have the Power Commander already. Most are likely to be louder. Unless you do a whole heap of canyon carving the weight improvement is likely to negligible, at least from the standpoint of handling or performance improvement. Of course, if you've got $500 burning a hole in your pocket or you are in the grip of farkle fever, then you have no choice. But in terms of bang for the buck, cans are probably on the low end of the scale, unless you want the different sound. Personally, I like a quiet bike.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Yeah, I'd avoid the Two Deaf Brothers pipes unless your earplugs have a rating of 75db suppression, and you ride where avalanches aren't a possibility.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so perhaps this leads to a follow on question.

I have read elsewhere about "drilling-out" the exhaust. I ask because I tried to get the bike dyno tuned, but the shop was unable to get the oxygen sensor deep enough into the exhaust.

I'm guessing drilling the stock exhaust would allow this, as well as more airflow. Has anybody done this and any advice? Thanks in advance as always.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yeah, I'd avoid the Two Deaf Brothers pipes unless your earplugs have a rating of 75db suppression, and you ride where avalanches aren't a possibility.
Nicely put... holy hell, that 2bros stuff is LOUD. :furious:

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Swingset,

With the quiet insert, you only need 65 db ear plugs.

Actually, with their next to quietest insert, they were noticably louder than stock, even with earplugs. My neighbor (a former rider) was out mowing his lawn and gave me a thumbs up when I rode by.

With their quietest inserts, they seem comparable to stock with earplugs. Last weekend, I was riding with a buddy on a Honda XR650 mortard that had some loud exhaust, I could easily hear his bike over mine.

I will say that I know I'm more "visible" to cagers with them on. Maybe loud pipes do save lives. :laugh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Two Brothers Exhaust

Hey while we are in here discussing Two Brother Exhaust anyone have the P1X silencers they want to let go of? Listening to them sound off almost turns me back into a hooligan. :) Whoomp Whoomp!

Added the P1X silencers now I can hear myself talk what a difference 7-8 decibels make.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
OK, so perhaps this leads to a follow on question.

I have read elsewhere about "drilling-out" the exhaust. I ask because I tried to get the bike dyno tuned, but the shop was unable to get the oxygen sensor deep enough into the exhaust.

I'm guessing drilling the stock exhaust would allow this, as well as more airflow. Has anybody done this and any advice? Thanks in advance as always.
Find a new dyno guy. There is nothing that should prevent the dyno sensor from doing its job.

Drilling holes in exhaust systems might make a POS Harley Sportster sound fartier (apparently that makes it more desirable ;) but hacking into an exhaust system properly designed for the bike is inviting fueling problems (although the EFI would compensate for that to some extent), and rust from water infiltration.

And it reminds me of a couple of mutts from high school who thought they were smarter than designers and engineers when they modded their bikes' exhausts with drill bits and a Black and Decker. Maybe that's why there were always so many non-running bikes in their garages.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
another matter to consider is the PITA of repacking aftermarket exhausts. many of them must be repacked at fairly frequent intervals...the more expensive of the lot. staintune, akras etc, do not. considering repack kits can run $80, you may want to spend a bit up front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
full system

i bought a kerker slipon for my zrx 1100 and wished id saved for the full system. is a full system a real plus on the v strom

1 - 20 of 50 Posts