StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a low mileage DL1000 rear shock on my '08 ABS 650 and it works great. Dampening of the shock is better (floating piston) and it has an increase spring rate. I bought the shock off Ebay for $80. Installation is a pain in the @ss if you have ABS but worth the effort. Non-ABS bikes will have no problems. Everything bolts right up and you would be hard pressed to see the difference. Bike sits higher in the rear and I like the look.

·
Registered
103 Posts
very nice, I have been tossing this very swap around in my head for a while. I am 6'2" and about 230 and figured this might be a logical choice.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
very nice, I have been tossing this very swap around in my head for a while. I am 6'2" and about 230 and figured this might be a logical choice.
The shock would help for the weight but doesn't make too much of a height difference, maybe 1/2" at the seat. I looked for about a year before I found one at a reasonable price. Most were asking $300-$400. :yikes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anybody else do this? Iam 220lbs and the bike has 30k from previous owner that rode it 2 up plus luggage most of the time. Shock seems wimpy ( more than usual) want to up grade, but on a budget. Can't afford 1k for a "really" nice one. Most riding is highway with some gravel/ forest service road thrown in. Doing a AK trip next summer. Front end is getting sonic springs up front. I know the rear end will real show it inability when the front is done . Also considering the prog. 465. Any thoughts

·
Registered
104 Posts
One of the reasons why I ask is that the part number for a progressive 465 remote is the same for both the wee and vee . So I'am thinking if it is the same shock, the vee is a 40lb heavier bike, a better (not great though) shock, should be about right??

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
One of the reasons why I ask is that the part number for a progressive 465 remote is the same for both the wee and vee . So I'am thinking if it is the same shock, the vee is a 40lb heavier bike, a better (not great though) shock, should be about right??
If I remember correctly when I was researching the 465 they said it caused the DL650 to sit slightly higher but I probably would not notice it once on the bike. I think there is a thread here where someone measured or did the calculations and it was about 1/4 inch - up for the Wee and down for Vee.

Found the thread: http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...-progressive-465-remote-preload-adjuster.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yup , its (DL1000) shock is 4mm longer, after doing some searching. That translates into about a 7mm rise in seat height at the end point. So the threads say. A progressive 465 shock is the same for a wee and vee, it just splits the difference. Its either going to raise the 650 0r lower the 1000. Hmmmmm. Got my trusty calipers out to get a visual.......we an't talking much here.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Prog Shock

I think the Vee and Wee are spec the same because when I called the Progressive tech rep, he said the external spring has a progressive rate and that 230 lbs was in the middle of the range. Thus it could deal with the added weight of the DL1000, much of which is not taken up mostly in the rear of the machine. I installed the Prog 465 and have challenged it on a few bad dips and I now think it will never bottom out, which was my main thing. I got the ver w/o remote PL because I don't carry pax and probably will never need to adjust it although it is adjustable with a ring at the top of the shock body.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Installation is a pain in the @ss if you have ABS but worth the effort. Non-ABS bikes will have no problems.
I did this swap on my '09ABS without any issues. I found a tip on this forum about a work-a-round for the ABS module. You just need to loosen the module mounting screws to get that extra 1/2" of room. There may have been something else but I do not remember what. It was a three beer job, but it was hot that day. I think I paid $200 and it is well worth it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks. I haven't seen a good used one under about $250. I did connact Racetech and the will rebuild it to my specs for "about" $400-450. Leaning real heavy on this option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anybody else do this? Iam 220lbs and the bike has 30k from previous owner that rode it 2 up plus luggage most of the time. Shock seems wimpy ( more than usual) want to up grade, but on a budget. Can't afford 1k for a "really" nice one. Most riding is highway with some gravel/ forest service road thrown in. Doing a AK trip next summer. Front end is getting sonic springs up front. I know the rear end will real show it inability when the front is done . Also considering the prog. 465. Any thoughts
I bought a used DL 1000 shock off of ebay for $100 and sent it to Race Tech where they custom rebuilt it for $450. I also replaced the fork springs with Sonic Springs. If I had to do it over again, I would have replaced the bushings/bearings in the swingarm and lever cushion at the same time. The Vee shock is a huge improvement over the wore out Wee shock, especially when riding two-up on rough roads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wfrtony,
That's kinda what Iam heading, front sonic springs and the rebuild in back. Why the 1000 rebuild vs just the rebuild on the 650 shock to your specs? So did your swing arm components show significant wear?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wfrtony,
That's kinda what Iam heading, front sonic springs and the rebuild in back. Why the 1000 rebuild vs just the rebuild on the 650 shock to your specs? So did your swing arm components show significant wear?
By purchasing a used shock, I was able to continue riding while the shock was being rebuilt. I had also read that the Vee shock was of better quality and slightly longer which would increase the ground clearance slightly.

I replaced the shock at 31,000 miles and when I replaced the tires at 35,000 miles I noticed a lot of slop in the rear suspension. It had nothing to do with the shock/spring change, just normal wear and tear; apparently the factory doesn't lube the bearing very well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts