StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear shock on my DL650 doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I refilled the preload, and that made a huge difference, but loaded up the rear tire hits the fender, even without a passenger. Add a second person and it's pretty frequent.

I was wondering if the DL1000 rear shock was stiffer than the one for the DL650 and if they are swappable?

Any other suggestions for stiffening up the rear shock?

Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It fits, I have one on my 650. It does feel like it "dampens" better.
But I don't think it will have a stiff enough spring for you.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Get a better shock or have yours rebuilt by someone like Racetech and set up to your weight.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
Agree with aftermarket option, a band aid is a band aid.

·
Registered
702 Posts
To answer your question

why is a beefier spring a band aid? If the DL1000 spring really is stiffer, isn't it an upgrade rather than a band aid?
I wouldn't call a beefier spring a "band-aid". If you can't get the correct sag & sack, I'd call it an improvement. However...
A quality aftermarket shock is a major improvement over stock. :fineprint: If you haven't experienced the difference you may not get it. Sometimes "seat of the pants" is the best way to understand this.
The best thing to do would be to understand how to get the correct ride height & sag. There's a lot of info on the web about this. We don't know for sure if your spring is correct with out performing these measurements.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm 5'8" and weigh 160 lbs wet. My gear weighs less than 100 lbs all told. I find it hard to believe that a VStrom should bottom out at that low weight.

Have you lowered the bike? I cannot fathom how the tire hits the fender, even my Darkside won't do that with 2 people and full camping gear..

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I'm 5'8" and weigh 160 lbs wet. My gear weighs less than 100 lbs all told. I find it hard to believe that a VStrom should bottom out at that low weight.
It will, and quite easily. The 1000 shock is only marginally stiffer, not enough to really matter.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
why is a beefier spring a band aid? If the DL1000 spring really is stiffer, isn't it an upgrade rather than a band aid?
Its a band aid because its a marginal shock to start with and it takes more than a stiffer spring to make a really better shock.
If you have yours rebuilt by a suspension shop or get an aftermarket shock you simply get a better unit, that is what I would call an upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts