StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I topped up, reset the trip and headed out on a backcountry chill out ride last night in perfect 13 degree temps, clear sky and a beautiful moon. I was driving 55mph through backcountry roads, just taking it easy, and leveraging that low rpm shift capabilities with the boosterplug. After a 30-40 minutes I looked down and see the first pic below.

I then drive another five minutes and the range goes up, so I had to take another picture. Notice the 46km on the trip when the range is reporting 390km!

Moral of the story, the 1000 can suck gas like a big displacement hot road if you flog her. But if you drive her nice and easy, she gets great mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
How can it get great MILEAGE if it reads in KILOMETERS ?????? Shouldn't it be ..............kilometerage ????

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Over 202,000+ km my average projected range is 365 km. The furthest I have gone on one tank is 401.6 km. (I calculate Projected range as how much range I could get on a full tank based on the amount of fuel i had put in.)

Not unusual to see projected range in the high 300 km's and low 400 km's when not slabbing.

Range to empty seems to be based on the fuel mileage of the last 15km's of riding and how much fuel is left in the tank.

..Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good stuff Webfors .

Was that am or pm coz 4.21 was an early start !!

Reactions: Webfors

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the most recent pic of mileage on a recent drive through some back country roads. Pretty consistent if you're not too hard on the throttle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have a PCFC fitted with a custom tune, I only ever ride for fun (if you know what I mean) and would usually see ranges between 350 to 400ks, since having the upgraded ECU fitted I have never see a range greater than 300ks and it runs richer in the low RPM's

Looks like I'm up for another custom tune and see if I can get rid of the RPM assist that I hate so much.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a PCFC fitted with a custom tune, I only ever ride for fun (if you know what I mean) and would usually see ranges between 350 to 400ks, since having the upgraded ECU fitted I have never see a range greater than 300ks and it runs richer in the low RPM's

Looks like I'm up for another custom tune and see if I can get rid of the RPM assist that I hate so much.
That's probably a driver input issue more than a tune :grin2:

I can easily get the range to show some pretty ugly numbers with a few twists of the throttle.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
When I pull up at traffic lights now I can sometimes smell fuel.

I have always had a heavy right hand, the only change is the new ECU.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mid summer I went on a drive to mount Washington. The bike was new for me, 2005 DL1000. In the city I would get around 200 KM per tank. I needed to find out what the rage was at highway speeds so i filled a container and strapped it on the bike. I was going to drive until I ran out of gas.

In the side of the road I saw many moose warning signs, and it was starting to get dark. I did not understand how the gas bars on the bike worked yet. It was dark, cold, moosey ride...who knew when the next street light was going to appear... Max in Montreal was scared to run out of gas and did no want to stop, remove tank bag fill up on gas with moose lips sniffing and nibbling at my ear while holding a flashlight in my mouth, so I gassed up at the next street lamp. The most mileage ever so far was about 350 KM, and the last bar was doing something...this was also with me being 310 pounds and my side cases filled.

This winter will be doing some work to the bike, and will see if there is an improvement in the spring...

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Here are some useless numbers:

I have filled my tank on my DL1000 707 times. I have used 11,200.28 liters / 2958.81 US gallons. Total fuel cost in Can$ is $14,433.05 (which is more than my bike cost) or $11,040.77 US$ at current exchange rates. Most was 91 octane in Canada (and 93 Octane in the USA) but some was 87 when 91 or higher wasn't available.

4 tanks were just over 20 liters (5.28 US Gallon) to fill, 28 were 19 liters /5. US Gallon or better.

My furthest on a tank that I actually got was 401.6 km or 252.3 miles and lots of tanks projected to get over 400 km.

I have about 38 tanks that were 350 km / 217.5 miles or better actual distance

Also lots of tanks that were projected to be in the 310 to 350 km range (192 to 217 mile range.) Those were mainly slabbing down the interstates and/or in colder weather.

..Tom

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Might be fun

Be interesting to have one of the electronics wonks here work up a gadget to show instantaneous MPG (or KPL). I presume you could tap into the electronic speed data, interpret injector duration to arrive at GPH (or LPH) and do the math. Or perhaps use a LUT.

Not that I care about mileage. But it'd be fun to try different speeds and see where the bike is most efficient.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Be interesting to have one of the electronics wonks here work up a gadget to show instantaneous MPG (or KPL). I presume you could tap into the electronic speed data, interpret injector duration to arrive at GPH (or LPH) and do the math. Or perhaps use a LUT.

Not that I care about mileage. But it'd be fun to try different speeds and see where the bike is most efficient.
The 2014+ DL1000 has that readout standard (did the latest DL650 get it also?)

Like most cars that have it the "Instantaneous" readout is over the last few seconds.

..Tom

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here are some useless numbers:

I have filled my tank on my DL1000 707 times. I have used 11,200.28 liters / 2958.81 US gallons. Total fuel cost in Can$ is $14,433.05 (which is more than my bike cost) or $11,040.77 US$ at current exchange rates. Most was 91 octane in Canada (and 93 Octane in the USA) but some was 87 when 91 or higher wasn't available.

4 tanks were just over 20 liters (5.28 US Gallon) to fill, 28 were 19 liters /5. US Gallon or better.

My furthest on a tank that I actually got was 401.6 km or 252.3 miles and lots of tanks projected to get over 400 km.

I have about 38 tanks that were 350 km / 217.5 miles or better actual distance

Also lots of tanks that were projected to be in the 310 to 350 km range (192 to 217 mile range.) Those were mainly slabbing down the interstates and/or in colder weather.

..Tom
WOW dude...thats extreme record keeping...

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rode about 700 miles on a 3 day trip this weekend and averaged about 33mpg. I would get to the bottom bar around 165 miles. 2007 1000 with slip on exhaust and a PC5 tune. It makes the bike fun but I wish I had more range.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts