StromTrooper banner

DL1000, please help

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Big B 
#1 ·
Just picked up an '06 DL1000 a few weeks ago and have a couple of issues. One, my temperature gauge will not go to third bar as it should unless I idle it for a while but when I start moving, it drops down to second bar again, I thought it was the temperature sensor so I replaced it, now I know what it is NOT. I find it difficult to believe it would be the dash gauge itself, thermostat seems to operate ok, bike starts & runs ok,even the GPM's seem good ( just under 50 GPM cruising. One thing however concerns me, after a cold start, I notice in my underground garage, the front cylinder exhaust pipe is glowing a little due to excessive heat. My old DL 650 did none of this. It seems to me the glowing and low temperature are somehow related but can't come up with anything. Any ideas ? Thanks for reading :confused:

#2 ·
There's nothing unusual about a glowing front header. That's perfectly normal.

Where I ride, 2 bars is normal, three at a long light. I've seen four bars a few times where it's really hot and I'm idling or working a difficult off road section. I've never seen five bars, that'd be bad. I'm not certain there's anything wrong with your bike. Now, if you'd told me it won't rise above a single bar in normal riding, I'd say you should be concerned.

If you think the temp gauge is confounding, wait till you notice how the fuel gauge works. With a full tank, the first bar disappears after about 90 miles of gas, the second bar after 50miles, The third at after 30 miles and the fourth after 20. That last bar starts blinking after another 10 miles and both bar and fuel indicator start blinking another 10 miles later. Of course, YMMV. :)

#6 ·
We've had 100 degree day's already and it only hits 3 bars after sitting at traffic light for few minuets. Then back to two after start moving again. Speaking of coolant. How much antifreeze does it take to top off the radiator after a flush? Do you mix it 50/50 or run straight antifreeze? This is my first water cooled bike. All the others had the cylinders sticking out in the breeze.

#9 ·
I've never done mine but here's what the service manual says...

Engine coolant type: Use an anti-freeze/coolant compatible with aluminum radiator, mixed with distilled water only, at the ratio of 50:50.

Engien coolant (yes typo is in the manual :green_lol:)
Reserve side: 250ml (0.3/0.2 US/Imp qt)
Engine side: 1950ml (2.1/1.7 US/Imp qt)

#15 ·
Just gonna go ahead and warn you now....

Your Vee will make a lot of noises you don't like.
Chuckle. I wasn't prepared for those noises myself....... gettin' used to them now.

Kinda reminds me of the Muncie 4spd trans in my old '68 El Camino at idle with the clutch out, big gears thrashing about.

#16 ·
One, my temperature gauge will not go to third bar as it should unless I idle it for a while but when I start moving, it drops down to second bar again, I thought it was the temperature sensor so I replaced it:confused:
At first I thought he was kidding. :jawdrop:

Buddy, your bike is normal. Just ride it.

Don't worry about anything until it is an obvious problem. You'll know it. :yesnod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.