StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened in just a few days after a ride of 250km. Supposedly the road had salt. But this was way to fast. I’ve started a lawsuit against Suzuki and a few others.
Everything is rusted or damaged

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This happened in just a few days after a ride of 250km. Supposedly the road had salt. But this was way to fast. I’ve started a lawsuit against Suzuki and a few others.
Everything is rusted or damaged
This is Suzuki Germany answering. And next is from a magazine that I sent the pictures. They reached Suzuki Greece and they got an answer that they are aware of the problem and are investigating.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Yep - salt/other road deicer chemicals is really bad. Often times it is just a fine powder that is not even visible. I won't ride until there is a deluge of rain to wash it away. I know one guy who commutes occasionally on warm winter days and he said he power-washes his bike on those evenings and lubes the chain. I can't imagine a manufacturer paying out on corrosion from road salt.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Every rust warranty I've ever heard of has been about rust through. All you have pictured is surface rust. Most of it will clean up. The stainless steel used in in places like exhaust systems and brake discs has to be a high strength alloy that will allow surface corrosion but not beneath that unless something unauthorized is done like cleaning with steel wool. That will cause tiny particles of steel wool to embed themselves, change the quality of the alloy and really rust. The really pretty stainless alloys are not strong enough to handle exhaust heat or brake heat and pressure. The UK has a service called All Year Biker that applies a coating of ACF-50 anti corrosion treatment over all the metal parts of the bike except the brakes. Something like that is needed if you run in salt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Every rust warranty I've ever heard of has been about rust through. All you have pictured is surface rust. Most of it will clean up. The stainless steel used in in places like exhaust systems and brake discs has to be a high strength alloy that will allow surface corrosion but not beneath that unless something unauthorized is done like cleaning with steel wool. That will cause tiny particles of steel wool to embed themselves, change the quality of the alloy and really rust. The really pretty stainless alloys are not strong enough to handle exhaust heat or brake heat and pressure. The UK has a service called All Year Biker that applies a coating of ACF-50 anti corrosion treatment over all the metal parts of the bike except the brakes. Something like that is needed if you run in salt.
The bike is everywhere rusty. Doesn’t matter if it is surface or not. It’s an 8 months old bike. And as I said the weather that day was great. And that’s why I used my bike. Where I leave it almost never goes below zero. So what was done on the road was from previous days.
I’m also suing the road contractors about not having any signs about what has been used.

And also I will make a very simple question.
I have this adventure bike. Ok I go through a salty road and end up on an adventure at the top of a mountain where I camp for six days. No rain no petrol station to clean up the bike. So after my camping my bike should be rusted?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One must ask, after your travel on the salty roads, what steps did you take to clean the bike and over what time frame?
Lots of unattended vehicles suffer rust when subjected to inclement weather and conditions.
First of I traveled with good weather. 17 degrees. So didn’t know the road had salt probably from earlier days. Secondly the bike stayed indoors for 6 days because it was raining all day for the whole week. On the 7th it was like that.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Salt water will cause surface corrosion in one day. You can practically see it grow.

·
Administrator
16,616 Posts
Why is that my friend?
It is because any motorcycle will likely do what yours is doing, anytime you have the suspicion you are riding on wet salt covered roads, you have to rinse the bike off first chance you get. How long did your bike sit, rust and corrosion like that doesn't happen over night? I have owned many motorcycles and never had an issues like that, but I NEVER ride when there is even the hint of wet salty roads. A chain will/can rust pretty quickly just riding in the rain, so I always lube religiously in situations like that, an auto oiler is even better. :smile2: Keep us updated on what you find out, but here in the states that lawsuit would fall flat on it's face immediately.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I said. I didn’t know the road had probably from earlier days. It took six days. There are many issues. I don’t care about the chain. I care about brakes. Ignition starter and everything that has the smallest hint of oxidation. The timeframe is ridiculously short for this to happen. And As Suzuki Germany replied they probably know there are some quality issues.
The pressure that I’m applying is immense.
I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Notice how all of the non-Suzuki parts - particularly the chain and sprockets, brake pad backing - are the most rusty. Why would you expect any different?

This rust is absolutely typical of high humidity after exposure to road salt. It could have been avoided by rinsing it off immediately after exposure, and most of it will clean off as has been stated. If you're leaving it rusty thinking you're preserving evidence, that is beyond foolish.

Your brakes are fine.

Clean the bike off, learn the lesson, ride more and worry less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Notice how all of the non-Suzuki parts - particularly the chain and sprockets, brake pad backing - are the most rusty. Why would you expect any different?

This rust is absolutely typical of high humidity after exposure to road salt. It could have been avoided by rinsing it off immediately after exposure, and most of it will clean off as has been stated. If you're leaving it rusty thinking you're preserving evidence, that is beyond foolish.

Your brakes are fine.

Clean the bike off, learn the lesson, ride more and worry less.
Thanks. Noted.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reading through the OP's posts, I think he clarifies a bit - and he's trying to make his point.

1) he owns a 2018 V-Strom 1000
2) it had rained for six straight days. He couldn't ride so he kept his bike inside.
3) on the seventh day (oh dear...) the skies parted, and it was clear and 17C / 62.6 F. While he didn't specify the unit of measurement, I take it from the fact that his area "rarely goes below freezing" that it also rarely gets down to -8C / 17F, and that he wouldn't ride in that amount of cold.
4) He went for a ride, and after the ride inspected his bike, and noticed the rust.

I think there is a rush to assume that he rode in the dead of winter - I believe considering he contacted Suzuki Germany and Greece that he likely lives in Europe, and from the text I'm going to guess he lives in Greece. Suzuki Motorad may have been the first address he found to reach out to on social media, who knows.

All of that said, I'm a terrible mechanic and I have no suggestions to whether the issue happened as a result of road salt or not. He has a fair point - a 250km / 155 mile ride should not beat the bike like that. I would think that the 6 days of rain would have washed the salt / de-icer away. Perhaps he road into the mountains, where they had re-applied. And perhaps it is rare enough wherever he lives that there are generally signs/warnings when the salt/melter is applied, and there were none.

I don't know. I know that there are many many times that I have not washed my bike off after a ride. If it was 17 / 63 degrees, sunny, and dry, I wouldn't think about it - and haven't thought about it - many times. I also don't know that my discussion adds anything, except to say that lets remember not everyone is in the deepest darkest depths of winter at this time of the year.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts