StromTrooper banner

DL1000 Hauling capacity

7806 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  teevee
Looking at buying a used 2003 dl1000 what is the max cargo weight that can be carried.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
The spec says the GVWR is 965lb and the curb weight is 525lb so the capacity for adding weight is 440lb. That being said, it's really a legal fiction. There are many variables to what is safe. The surface, speed, rider experience, suspension/tire changes and even aerodynamics and placement of the load all change how well the bike handles a load.

· Registered
12,480 Posts
with stock springs gvw is something like 885 iirc subtract wet weight of bike 500± that give you 375-400 for rider, passenger & cargo ....

heck, I weigh 300 geared up, add luggage weight + everyday kit I was overloaded as soon as I sat on it

beefing springs is only one aspect of increasing payload, look at the weight rating of the tires, especially the rear that takes most of the cargo/pillon load

and if you want to be able to agressively ride, then think about brake improvements , do they make a perimeter brake for a 19" wheel :beatnik:

· Registered
535 Posts
Something that I found out a few years back is that "most" motorcycles regardless of displacement have approx. the same carrying (load) capacity between 350 - 400lbs.
i.e Even a Ninja 250 has a 375lb load capacity - not much different to a DL-1000.

· Registered
335 Posts
Gotta
Very
Wide
Rump

I think if I were to regularly ride at or above the load rating for the Strom, I would add a steering damper to prevent wobbles at speed. Otherwise, I think we worry about this needlessly.

Unless, of course, you're a duck around Christmas...

· Registered
1,353 Posts
thanks! if it's not too much of a pita, could you measure the distance between the tie down loops, please? i got the overall dimensions from the sw-motech site but i'm trying to see if i can use them on my gobi bags.

btw, bike looks awesome!

· Registered
321 Posts
That is awesome...I thought we were cool because we tied a turkey fryer and a tool box to the back of my friend's Rocket III when he won a drawing. That is rigged for touring.
It was my first ever multiday trip, so I lightened up since...

teevee said:
thanks! if it's not too much of a pita, could you measure the distance between the tie down loops, please? i got the overall dimensions from the sw-motech site but i'm trying to see if i can use them on my gobi bags.

btw, bike looks awesome!
I keep forgetting, I'll try to do it tonight.

UPDATE: 11 inches in between on the side. The strings are 7/8" wide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.