StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to see what kind of fuel economy people are getting with their dl1000. I have a stock 2007 DL1000 and bags are empty but I'm only getting 33-34 MPG on average and I'm looking to improve it. I figured I would be getting around 40 MPG.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I hate to be that guy but....search is your friend. There are a few posts on this very subject already.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
Welcome to the site! Fuel mileage on the Vee is often brought up. Mainly because it is disappointing. I get 34-35 mpg on average. I have gotten 40 but cannot duplicate that commuting. I would offer that you might want to do a really good tuneup to make sure the throttle bodies are in synch, that the throttle position sensor is operating in the normal range. Maybe a new set of spark plugs if you have some miles on it. Valve check if you have the time, but unless there is something really off there it won't effect your mileage. You might even try changing your riding habits. I wouldn't care as much about mileage if I could just go around 200 miles before I have to fuel up. 140-150 just doesn't work riding the back roads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My new to me 2005 V-strom 1000, with almost 6000 miles on. First tank of gas, 157.2 miles, and 37.2 mpg. I guess it's the price you pay for 1000. My KLR gets 250 miles on a tank, and around 50 mpg. The Vee makes me grin!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm fairly new to my 2008 V, but the difference in fuel consumption compared to my SV650 (almost the same engine as the Wee) is quite different.

My SV on a motorway commute to work would work out around 55-60mpg. My V is giving roughly the same range on a much bigger tank - I think the consumption is around 35-40mpg.

As mentioned though my smile is probably 50% wider - so it may just be wind resistance from that! :yesnod:

·
Registered
122 Posts
its in the map

A lot of folks will comment that you can only achieve 35 MPG if you are 'riding it right' and having fun.

My bike does everything I ask w/out missing a beat, and with minimal black soot on the exhaust tips.

I have morphed a couple maps together and get 45-48 MPG.

2004 DL1000 Givi trunk, LV cans, PCIII tuner.

I previously ran a couple maps that were in the high 30's, but black soot on the exhaust told me they were rich.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
I have morphed a couple maps together and get 45-48 MPG.
I am ready to start working with maps again. I would like to try the one you are running. Any chance you could post it or send it to me?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got my "new to me Vee" on Saturday. I've put exactly 137.8 miles on her since starting with a full tank. I am surprised that only two of the segments of the gas gauge have disappeared :confused: The first disappeared at around the 90mile mark and the second around the 130 mark.

Whats everyone else's experience with this? My riding has been between 55-75 mph on highway and country roads (paved) with the occasional jump to about 85-90 mph for 1/2 a mile or so.

Haven't checked valves yet and haven't done the TBS. Bike is an 05 DL1000 with 32.7K miles on it.

Thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The top bar lasts significantly longer than the rest. The top of the tank holds more fuel than the bottom which is cut out for the air box. Also, about a gallon has to be used before the float starts to drop.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Topped off the tank today, 40.5 mpg for my first complete fill-up (5.2 gallons at the station). That was 80% city/20% highway.

If it will squeek out 45 mpg on solid highway trips, that will be just fine. I'll need to get off the bike more often than it will need gas.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Speed is the big killer of fuel economy on bikes. City mileage can be worse than highway if the speed gets up there.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I'm looking to see what kind of fuel economy people are getting with their dl1000. I have a stock 2007 DL1000 and bags are empty but I'm only getting 33-34 MPG on average and I'm looking to improve it. I figured I would be getting around 40 MPG.. any thoughts?
i get a couple more mpg using 91 or better fuel vs 87..

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
If you want 40+ mpg you've gotta be putting along @ 55mph on a slight downhill grade. I'm guessing Shelby's problem is his right hand that's killing his mpg's. I know I can't go slow in Texas. :fineprint:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sure can

I am ready to start working with maps again. I would like to try the one you are running. Any chance you could post it or send it to me?
I'll work to send it to you. I acheived that milage running 75-85 mph running across the country to NY. I need to lean out the bottom a little more because back roads are eating the milage now. As long as I am above 3200 I am fine, below that I am a little rich.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts