StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the specs of the pinch bolt on the right fork of the DL1000, so I can go buy a replacement?

Some idiot I allowed to work on my bike (maybe I'm the idiot?) rounded off one of the bolts, so I'm looking for a replacement because I'm going to have to damage it to remove it.

All I know at this point is it's a 10 millimeter, suzuki part number 51166-06G00, and the dealers in my area don't carry it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Take off the good one and go to the hardware store to match it. It's probably an M10x1.5 but an M10x1.25 will show up on occasion.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bolt

Take off the good one and go to the hardware store to match it. It's probably an M10x1.5 but an M10x1.25 will show up on occasion.
The hardware stores near me are woefully inadequate and qualify more as department stores than hardware stores. However, there is one "classic" hardware store in town, so I'll give them a shot.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bolt sizes figured out

Geez, you might want to check the stanchion for damage if it was overtightened that much.
I'll definitely check things out. Turns out the bolts are M8x1.25, 45mm. Went all over town and found 40 and 50, but only a previously unknown actual hardware store had 45mm.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Yikes, Sounds like the wrong size wrench was used for tightening,

On the Pinch Bolts use the Good and Snug without going Gorilla approach,

Going Gorilla is when we are tightening up a bolt and stop because we know it is tight.....

And then give in and decide to give it one more good Umphhh, Just to be sure,

And that is the moment the bolt strips, snaps, rounds off, or otherwise reacts badly,

Trust your instincts and self, When you fell those pinch bolts, and other bolts as well tighten up, go ahead and stop,

The really good news is you can just swap them out and no harm done,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 6 of 6 Posts