StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, looks like Suzuki has come up with a fix for the hesitation, stumble, coughing, backfire.. It is a new ECM. so if you have a bike that is still under warranty, take it by the shop and they will fix it,, if you havent already done the yosh box reprogram..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not that I am suspisious, but where did you get this information? Just so I can tell the dealer where to look. I wonder how this would be economical for suzuki. To reprogram just takes a few minutes and to change the ECM I suspect takes more time. Anyway if you can think of where you heard or read this let us know.

·
Registered
257 Posts
HondaNXXL said:
Hey yall, looks like Suzuki has come up with a fix for the hesitation, stumble, coughing, backfire.. It is a new ECM. so if you have a bike that is still under warranty, take it by the shop and they will fix it,, if you havent already done the yosh box reprogram..
Is this a recall? I used the YOSH box on my '05 but i'm still not that happy with it. Will my using the YOSH void any warranty work :shock: :!: I guess I should ask my local dealer about it :?

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
Criscokid said:
HondaNXXL said:
Is this a recall? I used the YOSH box on my '05 but i'm still not that happy with it. Will my using the YOSH void any warranty work :shock: :!: I guess I should ask my local dealer about it :?
You sure it was done right? Also...are your throttle bodies in sync? You are the "first" person that I have heard of, who wasn't happy with the results. What were the settings that you or the dealer used? I am just curious! :wink:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Big B said:
Criscokid said:
HondaNXXL said:
You sure it was done right? Also...are your throttle bodies in sync? You are the "first" person that I have heard of, who wasn't happy with the results. What were the settings that you or the dealer used? I am just curious! :wink:
Dealer did the TB sync. I did the YOSH box. What I don't like is the fact that I went from 47-49mpg to 35-39mpg :shock:.
My local dealer wants my bike for a few days to check things out. They want to look at the fuel level sending unit as well. It has been acting up on me too.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I dont think its a recall. It is however covered under warranty so it will not cost you any money. I dont know about the warranty being voided by using the yosh box yourself. The ECM is what the 06's have in them. Just take your bikes in and get it done..

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
Dealer did the TB sync. I did the YOSH box. What I don't like is the fact that I went from 47-49mpg to 35-39mpg .
My local dealer wants my bike for a few days to check things out. They want to look at the fuel level sending unit as well. It has been acting up on me too.
Very strange indeed.... I am getting in the mid to high 40's consistently! I actually remapped a little higher than most. The dealer did 1.5% at idle and 5% at BOTH mid and high range. I pulled the plugs recently and they looked great. Keep us posted with your findings! With these new pipes, she runs like a scalded dog now! I rechecked my TB synch after the pipe install...they were still dead on. :wink:

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
HondaNXXL said:
Hey guys, I dont think its a recall. It is however covered under warranty so it will not cost you any money. I dont know about the warranty being voided by using the yosh box yourself. The ECM is what the 06's have in them. Just take your bikes in and get it done..
That is really great news, but.....all bikes STILL run too lean from the factory regardless of their ECM. They still have to meet the strict emissions standards, a good tweaking of the FI makes it spot on!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MPG is the problem with a Yosh or Tika map change as they add fuel over a larger area... The NEW ECU will have a properly designed efficient map with changes in fuel and probably TIMING. Something the Yosh and Tika box can not do.

The map in the new ECU is done with a lot more precision than just dumping fuel. Having your MPG go from 47 to 35 is BS! Even 45 to 40 is not acceptable to me.

I will zero out my Tika changes and get the new ECU. THEN if it's still lean I will make some adjustments.

If we had access to the equipment the factory has we could make the bike run correctly AND get MPG. Like the 650. ;)

I think it's silly if you can get a new ECU for FREE not to. Mine has the Tika "fix" but at a sizable cost at the pump.

I would LOVE to see a dyno of a stock 05 and a stock 06 DL1000 and a few riders reports who have ridden both. A MPG comparison and a trip report would tell.

If the new map kills the midrange than the TIKA or Yosh for to the old ECU maybe better... But I think the new ECU is the better fix than the band aid to the 0ld ECU's

Not that the yosh and Tika changes don't work. But is it the BEST fix?

My guess with a gas analyzer, a dyno, and a few million $s of equipment can make a better map than a $500 box and a few trys to get a setting that feels ok by only changing the fuel. CLick click yep that should do it. MMMmmm what's that gas smell?

A mapped correctly bike will get better MPG not worse. If it drops 3-5 mpg it's wrong IMHO.

Both my remapped car and truck get better power AND MPG. By relieving the lean run condition the power went up so less throttle is needed. (unless you put you foot into it.)

Summery... If you CAN get the new ECU for FREE under warranty do it!

If you can't than live with the yosh solution and try not to be to heavy handed when adding fuel when you do it, less can be more.

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
I don't consider a Yosh or Teka adjustment, as a "band aid"! Is a PCIII a band aid too? Name me any bike from the factory that is actually set up right, and isn't already on the lean side. Carbed bikes aren't any different. Pretty sure that race teams use these magic boxes all the time. If I got the new ECM.... I will bet that I will still need to remap it, cause it is still going to be too lean with aftermarket cans. The low RPM stumble may be fixed with this new ECM. But some of us, also remapped the mid range as well. My bike also seems to run a little cooler than it did before. You think that mileage in the 40's is bad for the 1000? You sure have pretty high expectations for this big engine! :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I do ....

If it was set up right it would have fuel and timing correctly. If it's not. Than you use a band Aid. I have both a Tika adj and a PC-III USB (on a different bike) with a custom map. (advanced) It's still a Band Aid since it is trying to fix what can and is a timing AND mixture problem.

It's 1/2 assed if it ONLY does fuel. A PC-IIIR has timing. which is a lot better, but w/o the access to a sniffer and a dyno you are still flying blind compared to what the factory can do.

You need to adjust fuel air mix, AND timing for every TPS and Load range.

How do you do that with JUST a Yosh? .. A Tika is a little better, and a PC-III is OK ... But just dribbling some fuel over a range till you feel it's right is a Band Aid.

Yep, it works for the most part, but it's still not the best solution. Maybe I should say it's not the whole solution... It can be, and is a good part of a fix for a lot of bikes.,

If it was the magic solution it would get fixed right w/o having to keep driving it around to see if you "think" you got it right this time.

"Yep, "feels" right this time" Then finding you MPG at 32. Going back and trying again. With the right tools and access to all the parameters in the ECU you can do it right w/o guessing.

Not insulting a Yosh or Tika or PC-III they all work to some extent, and maybe even close to perfect if the base timing is right.

If a new ECU is free with a new factory built map I will take that over my flawed 05 map as a BASE to work with. Then if it needs some tweaking for MY bike then I can play the Tika/Yosh/PC-III game. But having the best base map to start with will yield a better final set up.

Band Aids are not bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
JohnInNH said:
If a new ECU is free with a new factory built map I will take that over my flawed 05 map as a BASE to work with. Then if it needs some tweaking for MY bike then I can play the Tika/Yosh/PC-III game. But having the best base map to start with will yield a better final set up.

Band Aids are not bad.
I agree. If the ECM is free and covered under warranty I'm going to do it. I used the YOSH box due to the fact it was free to use. I went to 2% at low idle and didn't mess the mid or high ranges. I had plenty of power before I adjusted the map. I was just trying to get rid of the sumble and farts it had at low rpm. I don't like the drop in mileage AT ALL. Hopefully my dealer will get me a new ECM. We'll see. :?

·
Registered
257 Posts
HondaNXXL said:
Were did you get this information? From your dealer? My dealer doesn't know anything about it :?

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
Wonder why I still get 43 to 49 MPG??? :wink: And yes.... I am calculating it correctly! I ride normal to agressive, all the time. I still stick with my opinion, that ALL FI systems are too lean from the factory. They could all stand to be enrichened a bit. I am not going to get into a pissing contest...all I know is that my bike runs perfect now! :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Big B said:
Wonder why I still get 43 to 49 MPG??? :wink: And yes.... I am calculating it correctly! I ride normal to agressive, all the time.
I would like to get back to that kind of mileage :wink:. I pulled my secondaries out but I think I might put them back in. I did notice a much "snappier" response but I'm not sure if it will void any possible warranty work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Criscokid said:
HondaNXXL said:
Were did you get this information? From your dealer? My dealer doesn't know anything about it :?
Disregard my above statement. I just got off the phone with the manager of my local shop. He said they want my bike for a day or so because Suzuki "suspects" some out of spec ECMs and they way to run some tests. If they see that it might have an issue they will put in a new one :D
I asked them if me using the YOSH box will void any work and they said "no". The bike has issues so I see a new ECM in it's future :p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Big B said:
Wonder why I still get 43 to 49 MPG??? :wink: And yes.... I am calculating it correctly! I ride normal to agressive, all the time.
That's awesome Brian... My former '06 DL1000 squeeked out 38-42 after I added all the bags.

Pretty darn good for that power, but I did enjoy the 48-52 on the DL650 in the same config.

It is interesting to note that my former '02 GL 1800 and '00 K1200LT both cranked out 42-46 however... Must be because they are more streamlined.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great a new Ecm now that Ive went out and installed a PCIII. Is there any benifit to having the new ECM programed and reinstalling my PCIII? Other then being albe to throw it in the face of my dealer who lost my bussiness over this last summer.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See my reply in you other thread. Sorry you have been having so much dealer trouble. Seems to be the standard. They think we are idiots. With the Internet we can be as well or more informed about OUR bikes. They should be too.

To hear a dealer (service tech or mgr) say "what's a Yosh Box" or "what's a Tika box", blows my mind. Ya think they would know about bikes. :roll:

Or play stupid about recalls or fixes when we have the printed info from Suzuki :evil:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts