StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine Guard Recommendation Needed

I am on my 2nd set of GIVI engine guards for my ’02 DL1000. The first set was purchased from Twisted Throttle but warranted out via GIVI just over the 2 year mark. GIVI warranties their engine guards for 2 years. The reason for the 1st set being warranted was due to the welds breaking free in at least two different points. This was a known issue at that time back in 2006 or so. So, I got a replacement set (the newer design) of engine guards and have had them for 4 plus years. This newer design still has two points that are welded and the other points use a bolt on mount design.

So after 4 years of service, I noticed one of the two welds have started to separate. I haven’t contacted GIVI, but I do not anticipate that they will warranty these since I have had them for 4 plus years. I’ve thought about my options, which are:

1) Perhaps have the joint re-welded. I have no knowledge of welding and would have to pay to have this done. Is this route even worth it? Would the newly welded joint be structurally sound? And, would the cost be worth it, if buying a new set would be just a little bit more?

2) Purchase another set, another brand.
This is the initial option I am considering. If so, I will not buy another GIVI set. So what do you all recommend for a set of engine guards?

I’m liking the SW-Motech and the Pat Walsh Designs thus far. Just saw where the PWD has been discontinued. Any idea as to why?

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

shankle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remembered one of my shooting buddies has an arc welder. I contacted him and he touched up the weld seam that was starting to separate. Of course, this required removal of the engine guards and this gave me an opportunity to repaint them as well. I'll be remounting them in the morning. I'll follow-up with another report at some point in regards to have the touch-up weld has held.

shankle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts