Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tools Required:
  1. Heat (sun, heat gun, hair dryer - the one you bought for the shop, etc.)
  2. Scrapper (putty tool, finger nail, razor blade, etc.)
  3. Cleaning solvent (Goo-gone, Naphtha, WD-40, 6-pack of beer, etc.)
The bike's engineers did a great job of positioning components in the best possible locations. The bike's designers did the best they could with the bike's looks (even if not everyone considers it beautiful). Then the legislators and lawyers stepped in line to help those appearances by requiring and positioning lots and lots of bright orange butt-covers.

So, just like many people choose to lower the suspension or raise the bars, many people find they can come up with a better place for the ever increasing number of tacky disclaimers.

The goal here is to relocate the stickers to a more suitable spot (whether you feel that place is the municipal landfill or under the sofa for a spider trap, that's up to you).

Here are some of my relocating choices.

Still, I feel some stickers have legitimate value to me, and don't just serve to cover the dealer's butt.

I wanted the tire-info sticker from the swing arm moved to the seat box where it will be found next to my M.O.M. That's where it will be most useful to me.

Here's a shot of the tools used. And an illustration of how they are used.

I'm sure it's easier with new stickers, on a hot afternoon.

Job well done. Remember to clean up.

I was just surprised, after seeing and using the suggestion myself, how many times this topic is covered [these threads and more include related concerns and suggestions]. I guess I'm just adding to it. ;)
Thread #17583
Thread #28815
Thread #33222

Also surprising to read stories of people scratching the stickers off and causing damage. Not scratching the bodywork should be a priority over removing the stickers.

Noted tips/tricks:
  • Just a bit of time, 5-10 mins with the hair drier, should let the glue release cleanly
  • a slow steady pull in one direction seems to do best for leaving the least residue
  • for tank stickers, a full tank of gas might keep the glue from warming up
  • remember to reapply wax, protectant and other treatments to the freshly uncovered paint and plastic
  • if you aren't a DIYer, body shops should be able to handle this chore -- no one has reported any shops refusing the request (someone will I'm sure)
  • if the VIN is on a sticker, and not a metal plate, it still might be a good idea to leave it where a LEO or boarder official expects to find it
  • the clear film might separate from the rest of the sticker, or the sticker might stretch, no guarantees on having a reusable sticker come off or having it come off cleanly
  • make sure to have a guilty feeling while doing it, that's half the fun :D

·
Administrator
18,165 Posts
This is gonna be a sticky!!!!!!!!

I like your style....and thanks for doing this!:cool: I will be deleting "from here on out" any and all new threads pertaining to this subject. Gonna close this thread too, nothing more to add.

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.