StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my Strom (02 1000) and lights came on momentarily and then ... nothing. Battery has 12.3 volts. Idiot lights don't light up. Main fuse looks ok as do the others that I have checked so far. Any feedback on where to look? Seems like something failed abruptly. I think I remember the FI light went on just before the total failure. HELP!

Dan Whitted

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The battery is low. Jump it to a car battery with the car not running or take it to an auto parts store to be load tested. It can show some voltage with no load but fail completely under load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply. I have had multiple dead batteries over my 40+ years of riding and this didn't act like that. Battery has been on a tender for 2 days and shows 13.33 volts with tester. At that voltage the speedo and tach should cycle thru their start up and neutral lights should work. Neither of these is happening. Don't mean to be disagreeable but this seems like some other failure. I did notice that when I turn on the key the battery voltage reads .3 volts. I guess that could be a battery on second thought.

Dan

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
It's definitely the battery. It dies under load.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Measure the voltage of your battery when you try to start the bike right at the battery poles. If the battery is dead it should drop significantly. If it is really only 0.3V then there is no question as to the cause!

If there is no big change in voltage then search elsewhere.

Check the battery connections make sure they are tight and have good contact and the main ground cable connection on both ends.

If that check out check the ignition switch to make sure that makes contact as it should.

Let us hear what you find. good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts