StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a DL1000 2017 and I hear a hissing sound. I think it comes from a throttle body from the exhaust.
Does yours either 2017 or 2014- 15 DL1000 also have the sound
Must notice that is highly noticeable at low speed and before 4000 rpm.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I would say to wear ear plugs, but I won't say such a thing. ;)

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
My 2014 DL1000 does not have anything near a hissing sound. Can you post a picture and mark where you hear it? I did a Google on that and didn't find anything like that. There are other sounds folks hear sometimes but more of a knocking noise but the clutch plate. :)

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Didn't they change the emissions on the new one? Maybe a vacuum thing of some kind? Just a wag from reading about it.

"Always a good citizen, this new V-Strom has refined systems to maintain engine performance and great fuel economy while achieving world-wide emission standards."

"Given that the V-Stroms are strong sellers for Suzuki, new Euro4 emissions and sound regulations provided a good opportunity to update the pair and keep them relevant in the highly competitive adventure touring segment"

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - V-Strom 1000 - 2018 - DL1000A

2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 | First Look Review | Rider Magazine

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's a thought. The '17 has a separate forum you may try DM'ing one of the new owners there to see if they hear the same

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Take it to the dealer and let them check it, just in case it is a vacuum hose that has come off, or gas is spraying underneath or something dangerous. Perhaps a shorting wire?

·
Registered
615 Posts
If I had a four day old bike I wouldn't be dicking around on a forum, I'd be straight back to the dealer! :wink2:

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easier said than done. The dealer is 500 km away.
And I am asking cause I have no reference.
I can hear it more while I wear my helmet.
I don't know if it is exactly a hissing or whirling sound. I know that until up of 4500rpm the whole thing doesn't sound like an engine. After that I can hear the vrroomm sound ?

Take it to the dealer and let them check it, just in case it is a vacuum hose that has come off, or gas is spraying underneath or something dangerous. Perhaps a shorting wire?
If I had a four day old bike I wouldn't be dicking around on a forum, I'd be straight back to the dealer!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. Nothing leaking or spaying. Maybe that's it's sound. I'll have a reference in a few days.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Do you hear a rattling sound sometimes? Do you live in an area with rattle snakes?

Serously, it seems you have a loose vacuum hose under there somewhere. My engine makes so much noise I wouldn't hear a hiss.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bike has a high pitched "whine" which is the cam gear drive.. it is quite prominent at low speeds and rises and falls with rpm. I'm betting that's the sound you're hearing. My old ST1300 had that also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Must be the Kettle spec engine :)

Seriously there was talk of pulsed air injection to reduce emission on some sites, but no one seems to go into detail. My Triumph Bonneville had that and it was quickly removed!
Found reference
Updated to match the exhaust changes, the Suzuki Pulsed-secondary AIR-injection (PAIR) system injects fresh air into the exhaust ports to satisfy a variety of US and international emission standards without sacrificing any performance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked all. Nothing loose. Now I think that is not mechanical but some sound coordination of two things slammed together. Can't seem to find what.

Do you hear a rattling sound sometimes? Do you live in an area with rattle snakes?

Serously, it seems you have a loose vacuum hose under there somewhere. My engine makes so much noise I wouldn't hear a hiss.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Is that on the right side by the clutch plate? Like a slight hammering sound? That is a known and harmless noise on some DL1000s.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Do you hear it stopped?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear it dead center as below the fuel tank.
It's like clicking metallic sound.
It occurs from 2000-3500-4000rpm. After that it either stops or I just can't hear it due to wind and exhaust sound.
Stopped I can't seem to recreate it.

Is that on the right side by the clutch plate? Like a slight hammering sound? That is a known and harmless noise on some DL1000s.
Does it get louder when you ride past a cement barrier? It may just be chain noise.
Do you hear it stopped?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wish I could go dealer and have him hear or even compare it to another same bike. But no one owns it yet here where I live.
And as I say d the dealer is in Athens which is 500 km away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts