StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read somewhere (but can't find the article anymore) that the 1st gen of wee is more stable at highway speeds than the 2012. Did some of you read the same thing or 2012 owners noticed that?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Agreed. The new model is probably slightly better if anything with a smaller sail up front.

The new model turns in a bit better, but that may have just been the difference in tires.

Pete

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
i heard that 2012 wee is 50lbs. heavier than vee, which should help at higher speeds.
That's backwards. The Glee is 472lbs, the older Wee is 485lbs and the Vee is 525lbs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, this thread seems to exist to spread counter-factual claims. Stop it. I've ridden the new model and it's lighter and more stable. It has less uplift at high speeds because it lacks the huge cowling of the existing model and the weight is distributed a bit lower.

·
38,104 Posts
It isn't so much the size of the cowling but the shape. Notice piece #7 under the headlights of the older bikes is gone. Its upward angle and large area is probably the main cause of lift. It appears Suzuki actually used a wind tunnel or software that can determine aerodynamic flow for the Glee, unlike on the Vee and Wee.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
I would be very surprised if there was not a slight advantage in stability at the top end of speed capability with the 2012 DL650,

At normal speeds and riding conditions, I would expect both bikes handling to be pretty similar.

Once the suspension is set up for the rider on either bike, they will both be fine,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the article that I was refering to in my original post. It was written by french journalists that tested the 2012 back to back with a 2011 model. They said that the 2012 was more nimble because of the weight lost in the front but, on the other hand, it was a little bit less stable at very high speed (over 100 mph). That feeling was, of course, even more noticeable with the luggage set on.

·
38,104 Posts
Don't do the ton with luggage on either bike. I can show you the scars from a 2005 model.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
A Wee with a Fork brace is quite stable.. :fineprint:

·
38,104 Posts
A Wee with a Fork brace is quite stable.. :fineprint:
That would have helped. So would lowering the front 10-15mm to prevent aerodynamic lift.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
That would have helped. So would lowering the front 10-15mm to prevent aerodynamic lift.
Yes, I still need to do that.
Worried that:
1. ABS would get hit on a jump
2. With my height it might make me feel uncomfortable due to lower bike.

·
38,104 Posts
With ABS and a most fork braces, 10mm is probably the maximum. The Superbrace extends above the fork legs a bit so 7mm is more on target. I have fork gaiters that limit travel so can do 13mm.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
With ABS and a most fork braces, 10mm is probably the maximum. The Superbrace extends above the fork legs a bit so 7mm is more on target. I have fork gaiters that limit travel so can do 13mm.
Thanks.
I've done some search here looking for a proper DIY thread that shows how to lower the forks step by step.
Maybe I'm missing something, and don't want to open a new thread here on that - could you please point me to a thread that shows that?
( I remember I asked once in the past about the top screws in the fork, but can't seem find it)

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts