StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the good, the bad, and the ugly of droping a tooth on the front sprocket of my DL 650?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would think you would want to add a tooth. The engine spins at 6000RPM at GPS 74MPH - pretty standard freeway speeds. I don't think you need or want it to spin faster - if you do, downshift! You will lose some in gas mileage with the engine running faster overall.

It is generally felt that a smaller sprocket will wear faster too. Common lore says that 15T is about the smallest you would ever want for a front sprocket due to wear issues.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sprocket change

What my objective was, was better of the line acceloration around town. However riding though the mountains yesterday made me realise that this may not be a very good idea for the Vstrom.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Well, if all you do is around town stuff, then you could add a tooth or two to the rear. But, I wouldn't advise it if you go anywhere else than inner city stuff. The bike is already geared pretty low for most street applications. Dirt, different story.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kawidad,

What sprocket sizes are you using now and what can you say about the benefits/downsides? I am due for chain and sprocket replacement real soon and am curious.

BTW, where on the Central Coast might you be? I have the pleasure to spend time there every so often...... might get together for a ride perhaps.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
tinman said:
Kawidad,

What sprocket sizes are you using now and what can you say about the benefits/downsides? I am due for chain and sprocket replacement real soon and am curious.

BTW, where on the Central Coast might you be? I have the pleasure to spend time there every so often...... might get together for a ride perhaps.
I'm running a 16t. I am well satisified with it and would possibly even consider a 45t rear. But, only when it's time to change the chain and both sprockets.

I'm in between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. PM me if you get up this way.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Which 16T did you get? The OEM SV650 part number?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Can you hook a guy up with a part number, cost, and vendor?

Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I just bought mine from my local indy. It cost around $40 or so. I don't know the part number, but as I recall, it is the same one from most Gixxers and the SVs. (Sorry, but it's been months since I did it.)

·
Registered
566 Posts
TheTwins said:
Can you hook a guy up with a part number, cost, and vendor?

Thanks !!
You should be able to use the stock sprockets from a GSXR600. The GSXR uses a 16T front and 45T rear. Another board member "mike183" has switched to the 45T rear from the GSXR and likes the change. I'm going to try that. If you order the 16T front from the GSXR, then it should have the same rubber dampers on it. There's always a debate about what they do and it really shouldn't matter. OTOH, if you want it to remain as the stock CS sprocket is then I believe this will work.

GSXR600 16T Part Number 27510-20A10

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RubberDown: Thanks for the info. If I decide to do some long distance touring, I may switch to a 16T.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sprocket advice

I have read much on this board about sprockets, but could use a little more advice from the experts. I have an 05 650 with 16 teeth up front and 47 in back. All I bought the bike for was commuting to and from work (80 mile round trip) and I'm looking great MPG. A guy at Cyclegear says I can go down to a 40T in the rear but my question is, will I have any excelleration with that configuration or should I look at something in the middle?

Thanks
Yardsale
On vacation in the desert southwest! :D
Man do I love my government job.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Re: Sprocket advice

Yardsale308 said:
I have read much on this board about sprockets, but could use a little more advice from the experts. I have an 05 650 with 16 teeth up front and 47 in back. All I bought the bike for was commuting to and from work (80 mile round trip) and I'm looking great MPG. A guy at Cyclegear says I can go down to a 40T in the rear but my question is, will I have any excelleration with that configuration or should I look at something in the middle?

Thanks
Yardsale
On vacation in the desert southwest! :D
Man do I love my government job.
If you have a 16/47 configuration then you're already at a 2.94:1 ratio, which is much higher than the stock (15/47) setup at 3.13:1. The 16/47 is what I'm running now, and it seems to be the ideal setup for commuting/highway use; acceleration is adequate and fuel economy is excellent at 58+ MPG. The engine is turning at 5100 RPM at an honest 70 MPH, vs 5600 on the stock bike.
I think your Cyclegear dude is misinformed; moving to a 40-tooth rear would be insane in my book for 2 reasons: 1) the resulting 2.50:1 ratio would make the 650 accelerate like a mo-ped and 2) the even number of teeth front/rear would make for accelerated chain wear. My suggestion? Stay where you are.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Yeah, a 40t rear sprocket is totally insane. Whoever told you that is just plain ignorant. Me, personally, I wouldn't listen to him again because of this badly misinformed ignorance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks. I didn't really plan on a 40T, but the cyclegear guy was merely giving me the parameters I could go with. I figured a 45T would be as low as I would go, but would it help gas mileage? Right now if I stay out of the gas I can get 60+ mpg. The problem is I'm a cheap bastard and I don't like paying for gas if I don't have to.
Thanks
Yardsale

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Yardsale308 said:
Thanks. I didn't really plan on a 40T, but the cyclegear guy was merely giving me the parameters I could go with. I figured a 45T would be as low as I would go, but would it help gas mileage? Right now if I stay out of the gas I can get 60+ mpg. The problem is I'm a cheap bastard and I don't like paying for gas if I don't have to.
Thanks
Yardsale
Unless your riding is just about 100% highway you're not going to get much increase in economy. With the current 16/47 combination you're just about at the point where 6th gear is unusable around town.
Move to a 45-tooth rear and your current final drive ratio of 2.94:1 will go to 2.80:1--you might get a small increase in mileage on the road but you'll be shifting more in the city. Acceleration would be unacceptable to me at that point and the bike would be a real dog off-road. With the current set-up you've got an incredibly versatile bike that gets almost 60 MPG; if you want better than that I wonder why you didn't get a scooter :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts