StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2011 DL 650 ABS and currently has 6,000 miles on her. Here is the problem: My son went out tonight to take the bike to work and when he started the bike to take off (the temp was one bar) it died. After he restarted the bike it did the same thing. To confirm this I also went out and the bike did the same thing to me.

My son bought the bike new, have all work done by Ultimate Cycles in Richmond and use mid grade fuel from well known companies (BP, Shell, Chevron...)

·
Registered
267 Posts
My son has a 2011 DL 650 ABS and currently has 6,000 miles on her. Here is the problem: My son went out tonight to take the bike to work and when he started the bike to take off (the temp was one bar) it died. After he restarted the bike it did the same thing. To confirm this I also went out and the bike did the same thing to me.

My son bought the bike new, have all work done by Ultimate Cycles in Richmond and use mid grade fuel from well known companies (BP, Shell, Chevron...)
Need more information to even hazard a guess. You say the temp was one bar when he started it ? Do you mean he let it warm up to one bar before attempting to ride off on it ? Does it idle OK but not pull itself since you say it died but restarts ? :confused:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sidenote: no point spending the extra cash on mid-grade fuel. 87 octane regular is all you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We started the bike and let it run and the problem went away.

Superslomo, An old mechanic told me along time ago that using 87 octane had to much water and using a higher octane will make your vehicle run better, you get better gas milage, and your engine will last longer. I am not a gas expert, but will listen to other opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I believe that the major contributing to lack of engine longevity is pre detonation. Often subject but not exclusive to external factors such as load, temperatures, altitude (or lack of it) and internal factors as compression ratio, fuel octane rating, A/F ratio, cam lift-timing-duration-overlap etc.. Although the Dl's compression is relativly high, other engine factors do not necessate a higher octane rating than 87. A higher octane rating will not increase ones milage unless pre det is occuring, which is generally indicitive of other problems.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
An old mechanic told me along time ago that using 87 octane had to much water and using a higher octane will make your vehicle run better, you get better gas milage, and your engine will last longer. I am not a gas expert, but will listen to other opinion on the subject.
Here's another opinion. That's all nonsense.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am confused. Your son idles the bike until one bar, then when you pop it into gear and disengage the clutch, it stalls? Does it cut out, struggle, bog down...

Now when you say what "we started the bike and let it run..." are we to assume you let it run until it was fully warmed up to three bars, THEN tried to proceed to only have it actually work?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am confused. Your son idles the bike until one bar, then when you pop it into gear and disengage the clutch, it stalls? Does it cut out, struggle, bog down...

Now when you say what "we started the bike and let it run..." are we to assume you let it run until it was fully warmed up to three bars, THEN tried to proceed to only have it actually work?
I gave up trying to help with this thread he doesn't give enough information to help him and I can't find my DECODER RING ........ :headbang:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Superslomo, An old mechanic told me along time ago that using 87 octane had to much water and using a higher octane will make your vehicle run better, you get better gas milage, and your engine will last longer. I am not a gas expert, but will listen to other opinion on the subject.
Wow your old mechanic should be a marketing guy.... He convinced you to buy more expensive gas than you actually needed... Ah... marketing still works on some people.... Cha-ching.... pure profit to the fuel companies.....:mrgreen: Old wive's tales still scare people I guess....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fuel

I had a fuel broker tell me that there is no mid grade in the trucks or in the tanks in the ground. He claimed that when you buy mid grade, you get a mix of the low octane and high octane.

Also, off the record I have heard tech reps from 2 major bike manufactures tell us to avoid the high octane unless the bike requires it. They claim that they see more carbon build up in bikes running high octane that are not high compression. I don't know that they have any hard evidence though. I do know that the owner's manual for my dad's Lincoln Navigator says not to run higher octane fuel.

On a related note, I had a guy who delivers fuel to stations tell me that if you see the truck at the station it might not be the best time to fill up. Any water and debris in the tanks gets well stirred up when the truck is dumping a new load into the ground.

·
Registered
267 Posts
doug44,

What else can I say? The problem worked itself out and I am sticking to mid grade fuel.
Good deal lets hope it doesn't return :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Here's another opinion. That's all nonsense.
+1

Greywolf is 'Believable' with so many miles ridden. So are other veterans here.
If 87 was an issue we would have heard about it long ago.

·
Registered
672 Posts
+2 Greywolf. Need to do a lit. review of what the different grades truly reperesent. Not being an engineer my limited understand of the literature indicates that the lower octane is more preferable if the engine can hanlde it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
+2 Greywolf. Need to do a lit. review of what the different grades truly reperesent. Not being an engineer my limited understand of the literature indicates that the lower octane is more preferable if the engine can hanlde it.
91 is the general level here in Oz,suzuki suggest 91 so I run that,95/98 is available.All I can do is trust the yellow nozzle !.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
91 is the general level here in Oz,suzuki suggest 91 so I run that,95/98 is available.All I can do is trust the yellow nozzle !.
I think you guys in Oz figure octane differently than we Yanks do.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
On a related note, I had a guy who delivers fuel to stations tell me that if you see the truck at the station it might not be the best time to fill up. Any water and debris in the tanks gets well stirred up when the truck is dumping a new load into the ground.
I've been told the same thing by a friend that delivers fuel for a living.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts