StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously looking at DL 650. Currently 2 up on 2006 HD FLHT-CU with 76,000 miles in 3 seasons. Current bike has been tweaked to put out 100 hp and 106 foot pounds of torque. But-it does not do well on dirt/gravel roads, mountain passes, etc. There is a whole lot of other places I'd like to be able to go in my travels. Dream-Prudhoe Bay. I've done several demo rides on the DL 650, Versys and KLR 650. Short of twice the money for BMW or KTM I feel the DL 650 will meet my needs-1 up (occassional 2 up) adventure touring, 1 and two up mountain twisties on nimbler bike than my FLHT, and dirt/gravel road capable-not really looking for off road. I've leaned towards abs. but in states abs is only on pavement colored bikes. Ideally I'd get yellow or orange with abs. IN PA I've had dealers search done. I can get a grey 09 with abs for $7300 plus tax, an orange non abs for $6350 plus tax, or I've located a yellow with only 1500 miles partially outfitted for about $6000. OUr rideing oufits are yellow and black with bright yellow fullface helmets-I like to be seen. So the 1000 dollar question is, would you go for the Hi visibilty color and forfeit the abs or vice versa?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I'm a big ABS fan. You don't see much color from the front and back where visibility counts the most anyway. Custom paint is a nice change and you could also do the fairing and front fender that are black on all 650s.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I would suggest that you go for the best deal you can find on a new or used yellow or orange 650 non-ABS. Go for the color you want. You won't miss the ABS since you've never had it. Ride it for a season and then decide if the 650 is right for you and if you need ABS.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I never had ABS on a bike before and I consider it a must have now. Devices that can mean the difference between going down and staying up are #1 on my list of things to have, ABS and steering stabilizer included. #2 would be things that help prevent damage if down like helmets, armored clothing, boots and gloves for the rider and crash bars and/or sliders for the bike.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
the new honda abs

hopefully in the future most bikes will use the latest type of abs that honda uses on the new cbr 600 and 1000 models . unlike the suzuki abs the brake lever doesnt pulse in your hand

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
BTW SunnyLane Suzuki/Honda in Del City (suburban Oklahoma City), OK has a new DL650 ABS in stock... I was just there.

for anyone looking...

it's the first time I've ever seen one in the flesh! it's a good shop too.

·
Administrator
13,564 Posts
... unlike the suzuki abs the brake lever doesnt pulse in your hand
That actually scares me.,. the thought of it being so slippery that the ABS is working and not being aware of it!

I would much rather have some feedback that the ABS is functioning (and a blinking light on the dash wouldn't be the kind of feedback I would want.)

..Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seriously looking at DL 650. Currently 2 up on 2006 HD FLHT-CU with 76,000 miles in 3 seasons. Current bike has been tweaked to put out 100 hp and 106 foot pounds of torque. But-it does not do well on dirt/gravel roads, mountain passes, etc. There is a whole lot of other places I'd like to be able to go in my travels. Dream-Prudhoe Bay. I've done several demo rides on the DL 650, Versys and KLR 650. Short of twice the money for BMW or KTM I feel the DL 650 will meet my needs-1 up (occassional 2 up) adventure touring, 1 and two up mountain twisties on nimbler bike than my FLHT, and dirt/gravel road capable-not really looking for off road. I've leaned towards abs. but in states abs is only on pavement colored bikes. Ideally I'd get yellow or orange with abs. IN PA I've had dealers search done. I can get a grey 09 with abs for $7300 plus tax, an orange non abs for $6350 plus tax, or I've located a yellow with only 1500 miles partially outfitted for about $6000. OUr rideing oufits are yellow and black with bright yellow fullface helmets-I like to be seen. So the 1000 dollar question is, would you go for the Hi visibilty color and forfeit the abs or vice versa?
Funny to see your post. I'm in the same dilema. I believe I'm considering the same Yellow 08, and probably talking to the same dealers!

My gear is yellow as well. Yellow does have better visibility, but most of the front of a strom is black anyway. My Yellow DR actually has a bunch of yellow you can see from the front, but I think the yellow coat and helmet helps more than anything.

My question is, who quoted you $6350 for an 09?

Shades of yellow are often different, and I'd almost rather have a non yellow bike to avoid having to try to match them.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
ABS is good, but it depends on where you plan to ride. I ride a lot of gravel and ABS and gravel can be a bad combination. When I put the brakes on in the dirt I want to stop, not have the ABS overide me because the wheels are bouncing in the dirt. Just my view.

SS

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Most of the safety studies haven't found any correlation between bike color and accident rate. The V-Strom does have two headlights on all the time so you're as conspicuous as any bike from the front.

Look at any of the studies on ABS and you'll buy an ABS bike.

You could probably swap the plastic for around $600 but the Silver/Gray gets a lot more compliments than my blue V-Strom did (but I still like blue better). We paid $7,250 last Fall. All that said, most of the compliments I get on my bike are for the Jesses.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I recognized the sticker on your case. I think I was just up the hill from you. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's Orange

Rode the 09 orange home today. Had the dealer put on the givi engine bars and racks. He had a a pair of pelican 1550 cases so put them on (figured for $50/case couldn't go wrong-adn plenty of room for refelctors). Also put on the madstadt-he has same on his own 1000 and set it about perfect for a first try. My riding buddy came along-now he knows he's going to hearing about a Prudhoe Bay trip next year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts