StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2009 DL650 with ~30,000 miles.
when i test drove it i was able to shift through all 6 gears, but now i seem to be stuck in 4, 5 and 6.

when i attempt to shift down the gear shift lever just stops.

I've tried rocking the bike back and fourth and also took off the clutch cover to see if anything obvious was broken. no luck.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's when the bike is stopped. I noticed this issue when trying to start up and get into first. The downshift stops and can't even get into neutral, but allows for 3 up shifts, leading me to believe it's gears 3+

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You don't shift a constant mesh sequential gearbox when the bike is not moving except between first and neutral, possibly 2nd. The arrangement of the parts requires movement for pieces to slip into place. The tranny needs to be kept in the appropriate gear for the speed the bike is traveling.

If you are in 4th gear and the bike is stopped. It will take some work to get the gears changed downward. With the engine running and the clutch lever pulled back, apply downward pressure on the gear change lever and let the clutch lever out a little to initiate some gear movement until the gear lever snicks down and pull the clutch lever back as soon as it does, then let the gear lever back up. You are only letting the clutch lever out a little until you reach the friction point and create a little gear movement, not move the bike. Repeat the process until you are in neutral or first.

In the future, downshift as the bike slows so you are in first or neutral before the bike stops so you don't get stuck in higher gears again. That might happen in an emergency stop when all your focus is on braking, but normal braking needs to be accompanied by downshifting as part of the process.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
One of the best followup questions I've seen. :smile2:

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
On top of the good information you have received ensure all pivot points of gear leaver are lubricated, being a 2009 it could have been a while, if things can't move easily the gear leaver will not return to the zero position thus making it hard to select the next gear.

·
Registered
713 Posts
On top of the good information you have received ensure all pivot points of gear leaver are lubricated
Rolex beat me to this one. At least once a year I remove the shift lever and grease the pivot and the link joints. I do the same with the brake pedal, the side stand and the brake and clutch levers on the bars. This may sound a bit picky, but I find all these spots need it - the shift and the side stand are the worse for getting stiff on my bike.

I always shift down as I slow down - that way I am also in a gear that works if for some reason I need to apply power rather than continuing to slow down. Plus, as mentioned, shifting down is much easier while moving. And I like the sound and feel.

AS I slow down for a stop but still moving, I either put it into neutral or first - depending a lot on traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Problem has been fixed. I followed the suggestions and got it to shift back down, just needed a little gear movement. Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts