StromTrooper banner

581 - 595 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark on the loss of power....When you installed the external fuel filter did you make sure the fuel hose routing was not causing a kink in the hose and restricting the fuel supply.

As for the miss....are the plug wires seated properly on the plug?:confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
My next purchase will be a Power Commander. My K6 Vee's just not enjoyable riding around in town at low speeds. I'm sure it'll be much easier than pulling carbs and rejetting them like the old days. My throttle bodies are well sync-ed, and I think a mid-range enrichment will make it run much better.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a PC on my K2. Works wonders. My issue now is trying to get it dialed in for performance and mileage. With the FuelMoto map it runs excellent, but smells a little rich at idle. If I tweak it leaner I lose the performance. Stock filter and pipes, btw. I have a new air filter to install that might help with the rich smell.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a PC on my K2. Works wonders. My issue now is trying to get it dialed in for performance and mileage. With the FuelMoto map it runs excellent, but smells a little rich at idle. If I tweak it leaner I lose the performance.
What was your gas mileage before and after installing the PC? I'm getting about 43 mpg stock.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The PC was on the bike when I bought it. I'm not sure what map was in it when I got it, but it was still very lean. Poor running in the 3-5,000 rpm range. I was getting around 40mpg. I installed a few different maps and was down to around 35 at one point, but it ran like a raped ape. After 5 or 6 different maps I ended up with the FuelMoto stock map which seems to be the best balance. I'm on my first tank with it, so no data yet other than my nose and my azz. And yes, I'm too cheap to put it on a dyno.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark on the loss of power....When you installed the external fuel filter did you make sure the fuel hose routing was not causing a kink in the hose and restricting the fuel supply.

As for the miss....are the plug wires seated properly on the plug?:confused:
they seem seated just fine and my fuel filter is routed pretty tight perfectly straight. I have to unplug it to lift tank because the slack was previously kinking. my idle also backfires all the way up to around 5k rpm I seem to get backfires. pcfc is on its way but I really dont think it should be running like this regardless.

My local shop seems to be pretty useless if there any stromtroopers in the STL area that could give me a hand and sort this, or help me get this sorted id be happy to pay you for your time. at this point im so frustrated with the bike I almost want to sell it. Such a shame I loved it so much compared to my KLR when I first got and now I cant even trust it to take me 5 miles to work :frown2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
The PC was on the bike when I bought it. I'm not sure what map was in it when I got it, but it was still very lean. Poor running in the 3-5,000 rpm range. I was getting around 40mpg. I installed a few different maps and was down to around 35 at one point, but it ran like a raped ape. After 5 or 6 different maps I ended up with the FuelMoto stock map which seems to be the best balance. I'm on my first tank with it, so no data yet other than my nose and my azz. And yes, I'm too cheap to put it on a dyno.
I could live with 35-40 MPG if it ran right. I took mine up and down I-25 today with little traffic and no cops in sight and it ran great until I got back into town. Almost all my tank refills have been 43 MPG, with one 46 MPG fill-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As it turns out the problem was some highly inaccurate carburetor gauges I used for the TB followed by a home made manometer. After coating all the connections in silicone its running much better only rare backfire around 4,500-5,000 rpm but I'm not even going to chase it down im calling well enough alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys i have a question, i just got a 2004 Vee and it running great except some times while sitting at a light or stopping it drops rpm and sounds like it wants to die...one time it did. i just thought it was because i had my foot resting on the side stand and it set the alarm and just killed itself. is there a known issue that im missing?

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
hey guys i have a question, i just got a 2004 Vee and it running great except some times while sitting at a light or stopping it drops rpm and sounds like it wants to die...one time it did. i just thought it was because i had my foot resting on the side stand and it set the alarm and just killed itself. is there a known issue that im missing?
Make sure your hot idle speed is at 1100 RPM, also make sure your throttle cable free play is correct.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,153 Posts
I would offer that an idle speed when hot of 1250-1300 cures several problems. 1100 is on the low end for me. The higher rpm at idle keeps a bit more air moving in the engine when at very light cruise and off/on the throttle. Seems to help with the low speed hiccups.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
With regards to idle, I should mention that when I received mine, the throttle appeared to be sticking. After a throttle body sync, the issue didn't go away. I turned idle down to 1150 or so and it completely removed the "hanging", and has yet to return.

·
Registered
34 Posts
More rough running and no answers

After reading volumes of complaints,issues and resolutions I cannot decipher my own 2007 DL1000 problems.
It was running fine over the winter then I allowed it to sit for several weeks in February without starting.
The weather went below 32F overnight and it was in a carport.
When I did start it ran quite rough at idle and all RPMs under acceleration.
So I:
A) Changed the spark plugs.
B) Slightly adjusted the TPS.
C) Synched and double synched the Throttle Bodies.
D) Checked the intake boots twice for poor seating. Fine.
E) Changed the Air Filter (With the gasket reseated properly).
F) Checked all vacuum lines for degradation or disconnects.
G) Ran with the fuel cap open.
H) Added Seafoam to the gas tank and burned a few gallons.
I) Pulled the Pump/filter out of the tank, inspected (fine) but did a filter bypass anyway for future preventative care.

And it still runs much rougher than normal with a heavy drop of power.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
My next step would be to ultrasound-clean the injectors.

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk

581 - 595 of 595 Posts