StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
OK, just throwing this out there...there must be a vent on the fuel tank to allow the gas to flow. Check that it is clear. It was a problem I kept having with my honda inline fours.
Good luck,
Chris in Boston

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I personally don't understand why the 1000 runs so rough when the 650 is so sweet.
it's all about air....

the EPA says you can only have so many parts per million of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, ethanol, methanol i-don't-know-what-ol, per square meter of air going through a bike. the 1K gets to that square meter a lot faster than the .65K. so Suzi leans it up to get it to pass. i don't know what RPM they test at, but a bet would be idle and 3500.

Paul.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I warmed her up (2 bars) and checked the idle, it was say 900. I bumped it up to 1100 and it never died again. So that was nice simple and easy. I will say that I felt very comfortable on my commute today, I don't doubt that I will enjoy this bike. I can already see the potential.
It seems that the TBS and PC111 are next and maybe the low rpm stutter will disappear.
When it does stutter, I hear an audible "click" from down below. It almost sounds like a ele. relay clicking on/off. Is this the stutter that people have due to a lean mapping? Or something else?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I warmed her up (2 bars) and checked the idle, it was say 900. I bumped it up to 1100 and it never died again. So that was nice simple and easy. I will say that I felt very comfortable on my commute today, I don't doubt that I will enjoy this bike. I can already see the potential.
It seems that the TBS and PC111 are next and maybe the low rpm stutter will disappear.
When it does stutter, I hear an audible "click" from down below. It almost sounds like a ele. relay clicking on/off. Is this the stutter that people have due to a lean mapping? Or something else?
Not sure about the click, mine doesn't have it or the low rpm issues many have issue with. That being said do the TBS first and see if hat solves your problems if not consider PC3, Yosh etc. You may also wnnt to check the secondaries to make sure they are dialed in. They adjustment is in a sticky Post in the ma...nevermind here it is
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=19302

I don't know how this is on the newer bikes but I know it has been an issue for several.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bowzer:
I don’t know what sort of problems you had with the dealer, but I think it safe to say the set-up (dealer prep) on the bike was probably piss poor. My first DL1000, a 2005, would stall when I was coming to a stop. Problem there was improper throttle cable synchronization. There are instructions in the owner’s manual detailing the procedure. It’s an easy fix, but yeah, you’re right, YOU SHOULDN”T HAVE TO DO IT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting thought

I have a 2000 KTM 520 exc on which I installed a fuel vent line check valve. On a very hot day two years ago I experienced poor running, like flooding from a stuck float, discovered that the fuel warming in the tank was pressurizing same and overflowing the float. Will check this out, any more ideas?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, I was glad to read that things are looking brighter for you and your Vee. I am truly sorry that you have had such an experience with the dealer. Just doesn't make sense that you should have to receive a bad time in trying to get someone to take your money. They should be mindful of the whole customer relationship concept and at least keep in mind that if they treat you well that you may come back for service, other purchases, etc. But, I guess, when the margin is so low on a bike and the potential commission is minimal when compared to a Harley clone (or Harley, Ducati, BMW, KTM), then there's little motivation.

When I first started shopping for a V-Strom, I went to the largest local dealership. I entered the store, looked around, saw one....... In the immediate area where the Strom was located were a salesman and one of the maintenance guys. As I walk towards where the Strom was, which also has a few Boulevard bikes, I see that the Sales guy is trying to cut his conversation short so as to attend to me. I get to the Strom, and in the corner of my eye, I see a facial expression of disgust and see him slow down and go back to talking. I'm looking at the bike and I hear the maintenance guy mentioning whether he was going to help. I turned around in time to see him wave the situation off with his hand. He saw me catch him. I gave him hell. I gave his manager hell, I called the owner of the store (that I know) and gave him the story.

This should not detract from the fact that the V-Strom is still one of the best values out there. Many magazines have said similar. Also, the purchase of one of the higher end motorcycles also brings with it more expensive maintenance and components for the most part. Short of the Harleys, I think that the Strom has a very very selection of aftermarket parts and accessories and a very large dealer network.

Oh............. did I mention the EXTREMELY helpful people on this and other V-Strom forums??? (You probably figured that one out already).

Enjoy your bike............... (I have a strong feeling that you will).

Have a great ride!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Happens to me too. K4 1000. Intermitent problems are the worst. Next time with the Key in the RUN position, roll the throttle open to the stop 3-4 times. Somebody else reported this on the VSRI site and it worked for them. Re-sets the TPS?

Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seeing the same suggestion on VRSI

Thanks, I am reading the same thread on VSRI and the only consistent "fix" seems to be the TPS reset twist you mention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem with my 05 DL 1000. I finally had to contact corporate Suzuki to see if they would fix the problem. The Tec from Suzuki told me that the bike was designed that way and if I did not like it to sell it and get something different, I could not believe that. I asked him explain to me why a new bike right off the showroom floor is designed to run like crap and if I wanted it to run correctly I would have to buy aftermarket products. He just said that was how it is designed and then he hung up on me. I was so pissed off but after 3 years I have finally worked out most of the bugs. The bike still sputters between 3000 to 4000 rpm. This could have been one of the best bikes that I have ever had instead of one of the worst. I am very disappointed in Suzuki. I plan on selling my DL 1000 next spring and I will never buy another Suzuki again because of how they treated me.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The bike was made that way to meet emissions standards. The fix exceeds limits so Suzuki and most dealers won't change it as that would cause trouble with the EPA and some states. That makes it a fix it yourself situation. In fact, Dynojet, a maker of a fix it yourself device, was fined $1,000,000 by the state of California and had to cripple the Power Commander to offer a C.A.R.B. legal unit in that state, making it pretty much useless. http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=31021

·
Registered
20 Posts
This has been a great read!!!! Thank you all so much... I have an 07 DL1000 that I bought used with 1,400 miles on her and the first thing I noticed was that it ran like crap too... This post has truly opened my eyes to what I need to do to get her running right... But it is a little funny to read this post, it sounds like all of you are riding my bike... Now get off it's my turn..;)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
This has been a great read!!!! Thank you all so much... I have an 07 DL1000 that I bought used with 1,400 miles on her and the first thing I noticed was that it ran like crap too... This post has truly opened my eyes to what I need to do to get her running right... But it is a little funny to read this post, it sounds like all of you are riding my bike... Now get off it's my turn..;)

Thanks
The good news is that it's a GREAT engine once you get it und#cked! Apparently it's being used as a flat-track racer these days:

Ain't that cool?

But be patient: my 650 ran much better once I broke 5,000 miles. It's smoother, sounds better, and mpg is up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like GJ1994 said, make sure your idle is set correctly. If it's too low it can make your engine die coming to a stop. This is pretty common for new bikes from what I can figure.

If you're cruising at 2500 rpm you're really doing yourself and your bike no favors. Most will agree that a 3500 rpm cruising speed is about the minimum. Sure your bike will pull from down low but it really doesn't want to be ridden down in the basement. Give it some gas and see if that doesn't help out some.

....like the others stated, raise the idle....mine is a DL1000K7, new off the floor, I've only had it a few months and it took some getting used to. I too came off a big twin (VTX1800 Honda, big bore kit, Power Commander,etc.) and wasn't used to the higher RPM required to make this rascal go...I raised my idle, switched to full synthetic at my second oil change (first at 400 miles and second at 1000...not required? Correct, my own prescription for long engine life with a new bike) The temp bars never go above two (Florida) and the bike never dies......the bike likes anything above 3 grand....it will do 2500 in 5th and 6th gear at speed, but it's much happier when ya crank it up a notch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Little Click?

My (2002)1K with 1500 miles sounds like someone lit a "cherry bomb" under the tank every now and then! I guess I have some issues to work out. But it is sweet from 3800 and up !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha. No Worries

jETSON

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
A backfire like that can blow the air box boots off the throttle bodies and char the inside of the air filter. You might want to check them especially if the bike is running poorly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks

I need to stop riding the thing long enough to do the sync. It seems to do it when the temps are really hot (It's been close to 100 degrees here forever) Hope to do it this weekend. Has anyone posted picts of the home made sync tool/guage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to update: I have been in contact with an old friend that prepares bikes for off road racing. He said it's no problem, he'd help/show me how to do a TBS and PC111 install. Great, long weekend, good weather, catch up with an old buddy and get the bike running right, awesome!!!! One small problem; as I was on my commute home from work the bike died. I was at a stop light when I noticed the tach slowly dropping. At this point the engine was running normally so I thought it might be an electrical bug, but when the needle hit bottom the bike died. It would not re-start and would just click.
I assume it's a charging issue but it really doesn't matter as it's back in the dealers hands again.
So, how many of you loyal kool-aid sipping Suzuki apologists will tell me this is normal also?;)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Just to update: I have been in contact with an old friend that prepares bikes for off road racing. He said it's no problem, he'd help/show me how to do a TBS and PC111 install. Great, long weekend, good weather, catch up with an old buddy and get the bike running right, awesome!!!! One small problem; as I was on my commute home from work the bike died. I was at a stop light when I noticed the tach slowly dropping. At this point the engine was running normally so I thought it might be an electrical bug, but when the needle hit bottom the bike died. It would not re-start and would just click.
I assume it's a charging issue but it really doesn't matter as it's back in the dealers hands again.
So, how many of you loyal kool-aid sipping Suzuki apologists will tell me this is normal also?;)
Curious why you haven't named the dealer, when it's pretty clear that the bike wasn't set up properly from the git go?

41 - 60 of 595 Posts