StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 05 with the power commander on it from the previous owner. It has the same ECM or ECU and has not been switched by the dealer. I've been told the bike likes to be run like everyone says above 3500, mine, around 4000RPM. I just gear it appropriately to stay there & I'm getting 42mpg both single, and two up. The previous owner told me all of the above info and he had the same problem as you. The power commander worked for this bike. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
while looking for a new bike, i went to both the Kawi/Suzi/Yam dealer and the BMW dealerships. the Suzi dealer was very nice, knowledgable, and was even willing to let me test-drive both the 1K and the .650. i went to the Beemer dealer twice. the first i was in jeans and tee shirt. no one even came over and talked to me. the second i was in my work clothes (dockers and polo shirt). one guy came over. he asked what i was looking at and i told him "a bike that i fit on". I'm 6'4" and 250#. he pointed me at the GS and walked off.

i knew the problems with the 1K before i bought it. i had the dealer check the TBS at first service. they bumped the idle for me when i complained about stalling. they even replaced a bolt that had fallen off and tightened the turnsignal that had come loose. all for free. all without complaint. and i was told that if i ever have "any problem whatsoever... come and see me" by the service manager.

P.

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
Most dealers know nothing about this bike, it isn't a GSX-R or a cruiser. Most dealers do zero prep and usually do it wrong when they do....your not alone. Make sure your idle is around 1100 RPM's, your idle adjustment screw is located on the left of the bike between the open triangle section of frame. The tanks are coated from the factory with a rust inhibitor, and it usually takes a few tanks of gas to clear it out. I recommend adding some SEAFOAM engine treatment, and put some more miles on that tight engine. Once these bikes are dialed in it is nothing but smooth sailing, good reason why these bikes have such a cult following. Don't let your current dealer do any work on your bike.......find another or do it yourself, it is a breeze to work on.

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
Run whatever RPM's you want, just vary them for a little while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cough, burp, fart and stall mode

Recently began experiencing the following symptoms on my 2004 dl1000, with 44,000 miles.

On very hot days, usually, and after some miles the bike begins to run rich, stall at low throttle opening and cough and belch. I have had the bike in to the local dealer, during their diagnosis they hooked the laptop to the bike, rode it, it acted up but they say the computer caught nothing unusual. they checked valve clearances, throttle body synch and TPS, they then installed the updated Engine Control Module at my request.

Picked the bike up on a Friday, rode it Sat. and it ran perfectly, high temp in upper 80s. The next day, Sunday I went on a 200 plus mile ride with friends and all seemed well. Stopped for a water after a 1 hour leg of our ride and when I restarted the bike it once again exhibited all of the prior symptoms, air temp was near 100. Took it back to the dealer on monday, they rode and no problems. They spoke to Suzuki who said there is nothing else to try, just ride it.

Has anyone else had such an experience and if so, what was the remedy, short of selling he bike. I wonder about the Intake air temp sensor and the effect high ambiant temps plus the soaking effect of engine heat on a 5 to 10 minute stop may have on the sensor, it doesn't clear itself after i run it for a while. But will be fine the next morning. Any thoughts?

:weapons_90::confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I now have an idea of what needs to be done. It wasn't my intention to come off sounding like a troll(?), but I can see now after re-reading, how it looks.
I'm still curious why so many are ok with multiple trips to the dealer or "dialing in" a new bike? I now know what needs to be checked and I'm hopeful this will work out, but should it really be this way?
This is not a complaint, just questions.
I have been buying/riding for 25 years so I thought I knew what to expect. Have I just been extremely lucky in the past?
I'm not loyal to any brand; car, bike, clothes, etc. I just try to buy what I need and will work for me.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I now have an idea of what needs to be done. It wasn't my intention to come off sounding like a troll(?), but I can see now after re-reading, how it looks.
I'm still curious why so many are ok with multiple trips to the dealer or "dialing in" a new bike? I now know what needs to be checked and I'm hopeful this will work out, but should it really be this way?
This is not a complaint, just questions.
I have been buying/riding for 25 years so I thought I knew what to expect. Have I just been extremely lucky in the past?
I'm not loyal to any brand; car, bike, clothes, etc. I just try to buy what I need and will work for me.
No it shouldn't be that way, unfortunately that is the way it is. It is not the bike that is the problem it is the setup. As many have indicated the fixes are relatively simple and you will be pleased when you are done. It is probably one of their least selling bikes so I don't think they are that interested in the relatively small number of complaints that they receive or maybe that is why they have removed (or at least it is rumored) that they have removed the 1000 from their line. I personally hope they have removed it in order to iron out these idiosyncracies.

Sorry about your present situation but it is not that hard to rectify and as you may have guessed many of us feel it was worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you happened into a crappy dealer. Find another one. If you post where you have had your issues it will serve two purposes. 1) Others can recommend better dealers in your area. I used to live in Chicago and there are plenty. 2) It might help others avoid a similar situation. If we are lucky someone who works there might even view this forum and it might change their practices.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Vstrom 1000

Bought my 2007 Vstrom 1000 new last September and now with about 20,000km I can't say enough good things about it.
Now problems .. just routine service.
I can appreciate your frustrations but not your anger.
Just pause for a bit, give your head a shake and allow the dealer to remedy the setup problems.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Coming from a cruiser it was hard for me to keep the revs up, it just didn't seem natural but that's what the vee likes.

They don't all need a PC3, granted I bought my '06 used so maybe the PO got all the bugs worked out but I've had none of the problems some report.

Remember, any dealer should be able to take care of warranty items, there's no reason to ever go back to a dealer who treated you wrong. I have basically 2 choices around here, my local dealer is 35 miles away while the dealer I actually bought from is 100 miles away. I'm not greatly pleased with either but I'm less unpleased with the one that's 100 miles away so that's who gets my business.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i agree with previous poster.

did you own nothing but harleys until you bought a v-strom?

if so, you're expecting the engine to run like a harley. you have to get used to lots more rpms.

i sold a kawi to a harley guy who couldn't get it home because he lug lug lugged the engine waiting for it to growl like a harley. instead, he over heated it and stalled four times.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
some will buy the PCIII, some will buy the the other (don't remember TBI, TCI, NFI whatever), some get the Yosi treatment (they blast the ECM with a new map) some just ride with the revs over 4K. IMHO the problem with about 20% is setup, being the TBS is way out. for the rest of us it's one of the above. Suzi just got the map wrong in favor of EPA standards mandated by the US. you don't hear about the the problems with the UK or Ausi bikes. i personally went with the PCIII. the bike runs like a bat out of hell all the way up the rev line. and don't take this the wrong way, but i eat Harley's for breakfast every day. it's a great bike.

P.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I feel your pain. I too was pretty upset when I bought my bike only to have it running like a pile of crap. I was beside myself that a dealer/brand would allow their bike to ship in that condition. After the first oil change I did all of the recommended adjustments and wow I have a real motorcycle. Not the ill running pile of crap that was delivered. Regardless of what others think I still have a problem that Suzuki/Dealers don't make it right from the start but with a little time you too will have yours running like a champ.

Also my bike will pull just fine in the 2500 rpm up range. Regardless of that others say you can't do that. Good luck with your new ride once you sort it out your going to have trouble staying off of it.:p

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Lurk on any forum for any other bike and you will read about people pissed with the piece of crap that they just bought. The FJR forums, the GS forums, the Concours forums, all contain thread after thread about poor fuel mapping, engine stalling, crappy windshields, terrible heat management etc....It appears that a lot of machines above 900cc have fueling problems due to EPA regs and many of these problems are far worse than those of the Vee strom. People spend $14 large on a FJR and then feel they must spend $350.00 on a PCIII to correct the fueling.

The only way to be truly happy with a brand new bike is to buy the Wee. Except for the buffeting, the painful seat, the lousy handlebars, the cheap turnsignals, and the fact that it falls over all the time; the 650 is perfect out of the box.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A lot of people here (at least from what I see) are a little anal about how their bikes run. Not a slight to them, it's just that they want it PERFECT. I didn't see a need to do anything to mine, probably because I was used to riding my work bike and almost anything was a Cadillac compared to it. :)

When you get whatever is wrong fixed you won't want that HD back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bowers, you're right, you shouldn't have to do the dealers setup for him. You obviously have a bad dealer. I've been riding 40+ years, mostly Hondas & Suzukis all bought from local dealers (except a few used bikes). I've always had great service on all bikes when I've taken them in for work. Any problems were taken care of without any hassle. I do most of my own service these days, but still go to the dealer for most parts and other gear.

Part of it may be luck, but I also support my dealer, buy most of my parts from them, make sure I see the owner/manager when I'm in picking up parts, oil, tires etc. Several years ago my wife and I were in between bikes and wanted to take a weekend trip, went to my Honda dealer ( I'd bought several bikes from them previously) and asked about renting a couple of bikes for the weekend, Joe ( one of the owners) said no we don't rent, but you can borrow two of the used bikes. How great is that! I haven't bought a new Honda for several years, but I still go into the dealer frequently for parts/oil etc for my used Hondas (didnt' buy used bikes from them and they know it) and they recognize and appreaciate my business.

So, if you can find another dealer and establish a good business relationship with him, it'll pay off.

·
Registered
961 Posts
All you need is a throttle body synk, a yosh box tune and 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket. The synk is easy, the Yosh box is free, sign up to have the box shipped to you at VSRI (V-Strom Riders International) the rear sprocket at ADVenture Moto. Remember don't lug this engine.

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
All you need is a throttle body synk, a yosh box tune and 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket. The synk is easy, the Yosh box is free, sign up to have the box shipped to you at VSRI (V-Strom Riders International) the rear sprocket at ADVenture Moto. Remember don't lug this engine.
Sync is easy.........2 extra teeth on rear "nah".....Yosh box tune from the loaner program could take weeks or month's to receive.......don't lug the engine is good advice.

The owner shouldn't have to spend a penny or next to nothing to get this resolved. A good reputable dealer would take care of this.....but there lies the problem.;) More miles need to be logged before going balistic, things tend to get better on there own.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maybe you should have stayed with an up-market bike. When I read your post it reads like you expected a V-Strom to stand on equal footing with a Harley or a BMW. I don't think that is a good assumption.

The V-Strom is in no way an up-market bike. Those of us that like the Strom appreciate that. Suzuki dealerships are not in the same universe as the up-market dealerships. They will never have workers and dealerships that cater to the customer like Harley and BMW often do. They will not look as nice, they have far less well trained staff and frankly they often don't give a care about the customer.

You're the one that wanted to save money. Almost all of us here are here for that reason too. Just don't expect what you paid so dearly for at that expensive dealership for a budget price. Stroms are good value for the dollar, to many of us, better than Harley and BMW. But equal to Harley and BMW, not by a long shot.

I hope you like your Strom or whatever bike you decide to go with.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The idea that you didn't spend as much money on the bike so you don't get a good dealer to work with is bunk! I am sorry but I have previously bought only those cheap Honda's up to this point and have not had this kind of issue with my bikes on delivery. Did they have some flat spots due to emissions? Yes. But did they run like a useless pile where I had to run it higher in the RPM range just so I could ignore it-no way. As long as people continue to settle we will get what we deserve. Continue to call out the dealers and be a pain in the butt and they will take care of this stuff. Hell they may even take care of it before they deliver the bike to the next guy.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
//Suzi just got the map wrong in favor of EPA standards mandated by the US. you don't hear about the the problems with the UK or Ausi bikes. i personally went with the PCIII. the bike runs like a bat out of hell all the way up the rev line. //
I personally don't understand why the 1000 runs so rough when the 650 is so sweet.

21 - 40 of 595 Posts