StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Popping....rough idle and cuts out!!!!!

I did about a 500 mile day yesterday, bike ran fine the first half. After stopping for gas, started having problems. I filled up and upon starting, I got about halfway across the parking lot, and the popped, similar to a bckfire through a carb?, and cut off. It easily restarted, but ran rough, wouldn't idle and was poppig like it had a serious miss. Reved it out and got a lot of black smoke. Turned it off and let it sit for a few minutes, restarted and got on the highway, with about half power, finally seemed to clear, although it popped a few times while in heavy traffic, and showing three bars on temp gage. Weather was clear with 94 degrees, and 90 percent humidity.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Soumds like it may have lifted a throttle body from it's boot. The throttle body is connected to the motor by a black rubber manifold / boot. It 's held on by hose clamps. An occasional backfire can dislodge the TB from the boot and cause a vacuum leak. It is fairly common on these bikes and the fix is well documented.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I was thinking that too. Pull the tank and inspect those boots closely. They snap into place, and then you can crank down the clamps to secure them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Wethereyet and GGRJR -- great minds think alike. I was thinking the same thing. I betcha we're right.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YOu guys were correct. Didn't have time to work on it myself, so I had the dealer look at it while it was in for an oil change, and inspection. The tech said blew one of te throtttle bodies off, and repaired it under warranty. He even threw in a throttle body synch while he was at it. He said the bands were tight, so it must have been a lot of force. Also found a note oon teh other forum about filling up and getting, fuel in teh evaporative emissions sytem, and dumping fuel in teh air box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
New member, new bike and ANGRY!!!!

Hello all, My wife and I are early/mid forties with a fourteen year old son. We just sold our Harley-Davidson with the idea of buying a motorcycle that is really better suited for our needs. We live in the mid-west but have land in Idaho that we intend to build our "dream home" within the next few years. This will be mountain living with a mile long dirt switchback road to get in or out. We had pretty much thought we would go with the BMW1200gs,(wife was pushing for it) but I really thought about saving some $$$. We did our research, looked at four bikes, (BMW, KTM, Buell and the V-Strom) and felt that the Suzuki was very close to what we wanted, and the cheapest.
It's a good feeling to sell a four year old Harley and buy a new bike with money left over.
Now I wish I had the old Hog back!!!
Every single experience related to the purchase of this V-Strom DL1000 has been horrible! I've been lied to, insulted, forgotten about, laughed at, you name it happened!!!! Then when the bike does arrive and I get my first ride on my new motorcycle... it dies four times!!!! Not to mention cutting out while running at 2500 or 2600 RPM!!!! I'm sick to my stomach and mad!!:mad:
I will be posting the questions that I now have, but I thought I'd give an intro. and some backstory. If anyone wants all the gory details about how I was abused, I will gladly share them all plus the name and location so nobody else has to deal with them!!!!
To make matters worse, the first thing out of my wife's mouth was, "I told you we should have got the BMW."

·
Registered
23 Posts
New bike, not running right

I just took my first ride on my 2008 DL1000. It died four times and would cut out around 2500 or 2600 rpm. I had nothing but trouble with the buying process and was happy to at last have the bike, now I don't know.
It seems that under moderate braking the engine dies. It starts up again with no problem though. After the second time I pulled a u turn to head back home and died two more times with less than moderate braking. I tried to "play" around and brake in different gears or with clutch in/out just to see what would happen, and there is no real pattern, it just dies.
Also the bike "cuts out" if riding at 2500 or 2600 rpm. Just a quick stutter, but it's visible in the tach as well as feeling the bike just sort of die for a second.
Has anyone heard or had these issues? I would like some sort of knowledge when I take it back to that hell-hole, crap-ass dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Deep breaths, man! Deep breaths! Check the 1000 section and look at the throttle body synch and pc3 threads. You're a few adjustments away from turning the frown upside down. My dealer was horrible too, now I only go there to try on gear that I plan on buying online.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same problem when I got mine too. Answer for me was to blip the throttle a little bit before stopping, and also adjust my idle RPM up to 1100 as my was a little under a grand. The pop you feel going down the road is because these things are tuned WAY to lean from the factory. There are millions of examples of this same issue on the forum and I think there are two things you can do to help the problem. One is to try to be above 3500rpm most of time, and you could try a TB Sync. Personally my bike only does it when it's hot? Three bars on the temp Gage and I get the sputter you are talking about. I am planning on the Power Commander fixing the problem when I get around to getting one.

Your engine is tight, and the good news is that the engine dieing will go away as your engine breaks in. Just check that idle RPM it might need to be set a little higher.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
//
Every single experience related to the purchase of this V-Strom DL1000 has been horrible! I've been lied to, insulted, forgotten about, laughed at, you name it happened!!!! Then when the bike does arrive and I get my first ride on my new motorcycle... it dies four times!!!! Not to mention cutting out while running at 2500 or 2600 RPM!!!! I'm sick to my stomach and mad!!//
By all means post as much detail as possible about your grievances, including the name of the dealer, year you bought, when you took delivery, and the circumstances of the stalling.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
To make matters worse, the first thing out of my wife's mouth was, "I told you we should have got the BMW."
Problems with the Vstrom are few and far between. Not so with new BMWs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is it wrong of me to think that the NEW bike should be running correctly?
All in all it would not be a big deal, it's just compounded by the very poor treatment that I got. Help me out here, why do you guys think it's normal to have to "fix" a new motorcycle? I mean, TBS, PC111, idle adj.? I will do what I have to so the bike will run right but why? I would think the dealers would want a correctly running machine to leave the shop, no?
As for the BMW, I don't mean to compare, it's just the dealer was nice and respectful. I realize BMW has problems too.
It's not drama so much as selling a bike that worked well to get one that's new and not right. (yet)

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
There are good dealers and bad dealers for every single brand. You found one for Suzukis. Others have found the ones for BMW's.

Your bike is under factory warranty if it's new. Take it to another dealer, the work doesn't have to be performed by the dealer you bought it from.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Like GJ1994 said, make sure your idle is set correctly. If it's too low it can make your engine die coming to a stop. This is pretty common for new bikes from what I can figure.

If you're cruising at 2500 rpm you're really doing yourself and your bike no favors. Most will agree that a 3500 rpm cruising speed is about the minimum. Sure your bike will pull from down low but it really doesn't want to be ridden down in the basement. Give it some gas and see if that doesn't help out some.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are good dealers and bad dealers for every single brand. You found one for Suzukis. Others have found the ones for BMW's.

Your bike is under factory warranty if it's new. Take it to another dealer, the work doesn't have to be performed by the dealer you bought it from.
Yeah, that's the best idea. After walking the dog and a nice shower, I realized that I was mad because I really wanted to be done with my dealer. I'l bump up the idle and check it out, then I will use another dealer from now on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like GJ1994 said, make sure your idle is set correctly. If it's too low it can make your engine die coming to a stop. This is pretty common for new bikes from what I can figure.

If you're cruising at 2500 rpm you're really doing yourself and your bike no favors. Most will agree that a 3500 rpm cruising speed is about the minimum. Sure your bike will pull from down low but it really doesn't want to be ridden down in the basement. Give it some gas and see if that doesn't help out some.
I will check the idle and bump it up, no problem.
As far as 2500 rpm, I was/am just trying to run the engine at different speeds to aid in break-in. I was told to stay under 5000 rpm and run steady all through the range until first check-up. I do think it might lug down there, but I thought I was doing what they recommend.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Nope, Bowzer, Suzuki goes out of the way to find the worst possible dealers anywhere. How car and bike companies stay in business with the way they treat customers astounds me.

Suzuki made a nine tenths bike with the VStrom. It seems to be their habit, too, as they have a history of it. However, sort out the extra tenth and it will make your hog look like a pile of used tractor parts.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Is it wrong of me to think that the NEW bike should be running correctly?
All in all it would not be a big deal, it's just compounded by the very poor treatment that I got. Help me out here, why do you guys think it's normal to have to "fix" a new motorcycle? I mean, TBS, PC111, idle adj.? I will do what I have to so the bike will run right but why? I would think the dealers would want a correctly running machine to leave the shop, no?
As for the BMW, I don't mean to compare, it's just the dealer was nice and respectful. I realize BMW has problems too.
It's not drama so much as selling a bike that worked well to get one that's new and not right. (yet)
Please detail who you bought the bike from, when you took delivery, and if you've contacted the dealer or been back for service? The problem you reference can be the result of poor setup. This is not unknown.

Fixing the stalling is generally relatively straightforward and may involve balancing the throttle bodies and putting 2-5,000 miles on the bike. These things are so tight from the factory that you either have to beat on them, or be patient. My fuel mileage increased about 10% now that I've passed 5,000 miles. The DL1000 is not as smooth as the 650: it's a price you pay for more power.

Fixing your wife's desire to own a BMW is not easily remedied. Corporations like Harley Davidson, BMW, Nike, and others spend immense amounts of money on their brand to influence consumer behavior. They have been extremely successful doing so: people actually define their lives in terms of their purchase of these products.

Suzuki does not charge extra for their brand. Many of us here have owned one or more BMW's. We're happy to buy a motorcycle that fits our needs, without the excess price paid to "branding."

But please give us more details about your purchase, because frankly, without more details of who you bought it from, what their response has been, and how much time has elapsed, IMHO you are sounding like a troll. Most states have lemon laws that would allow you to return the bike with unaddressed drivability problems, but you have to give the dealer opportunities to fix the problem, and document your efforts to have them fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Nope, Bowzer, Suzuki goes out of the way to find the worst possible dealers anywhere. How car and bike companies stay in business with the way they treat customers astounds me.
I disagree. I'm completely satisfied with the service department at the dealership I use. I've got an extended warranty through them that includes all of my scheduled maintenance. After 24,000 miles worth of service I have zero complaints.

They have two stores. One sells Suzuki and Yamaha, the other sells Honda. When I bought my VFR it came from the Honda side of the dealership. If I had been dissatisfied with the Suzuki dealer I'd have gotten it elsewhere.

I still maintain that as with all motor vehicles there are good dealerships and there are bad. I'm pleased with the service I've gotten on both my bikes and I've recommended both these dealerships numerous times.

1 - 20 of 595 Posts