StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 DL 1000. I recently changed my rear tire. Now I am without my rear brake. Any suggestions? The fluid in the brake reservoir.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It could be a number of things. As there is no pix of your rear brake posted, start at the beginning by checking the following:
1) is the brake disk slotted between the brake pads.
2) is the brake caliper slotted into the tab on the swing-arm to prevent the caliper from rotating when brake is applied.
3) is the brake piston, in the caliper, moving when the brake is applied
If none of the above, can you post a pix or three on the caliper to help with further advice?

For point #2 see item 14 which shows the slot on the caliper housing being referred to, https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/508afaf0f870023530722ec9/rear-caliper

·
Registered
448 Posts
#2 was my first thought too. Although if you get that wrong, it typically leads to a dragging brake instead of no braking.

Another possibility: When you put the brake calliper back in place, you typically have to widen the gap between the brake pads a bit in order for things to fit. It may require multiple applications of the rear brake for that gap to narrow again.

Like Gert said, picture please. Also, tell us what you feel when applying the rear brake. Is it completely solid, or offering no resistance at all? Does it feel spongy?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
One more: Are you sure the spacers that position the rear wheel within the swingarm are in place, in the correct position and facing the correct way?
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/508afaeef870023530722ec8/rear-wheel

AND fill in your profile, tells us where you are, mileage of the bike and add bike type etc. to your signature. It will result in better answers to your questions.

And WELCOME!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. I was away on a project and just got back. I will get some pics tonight. The piston does not seem to be moving. It does appear to be in the clips. I did have to pry apart the brake pads slight to get them to slip across the brake disk. Could it be air?

There is 58k on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Working Now

I got the caliper off. I opened the bleed valve and compressed the piston back in, I then bled off the old brake fluid and added new. Setting the pads in the clips was a bit of a bear but I got it. One question, the two bolts that fasten the caliper, what is the proper torque setting?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've seen on car calipers sometimes when you push them back they can be slightly crooked and actually lock up. Maybe press on the other side from where you pushed it in and see if it is sitting flat in the caliper.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I got the caliper off. I opened the bleed valve and compressed the piston back in, I then bled off the old brake fluid and added new. Setting the pads in the clips was a bit of a bear but I got it. One question, the two bolts that fasten the caliper, what is the proper torque setting?
Not over tight. I've had mine off and on a million times and just do it by feel. I don't think this is a critical bolt for torque specs. It won't back out.

Just looked it up for you: 19.5 lb-ft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts