StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I saw a thread asking if the big "V" was really a dual sport bike and if it was any good on gravel. I thought to myself, well sure it is. I do gravel and dirt roads all the time on mine and it's basically stock.
But I had to prove it to myself I guess. I don't have a picture, so you'll either have to believe me or go ride the gravel farm road for yourself to see it is a gravel road. However, the GPS data speaks for itself as to how well it does on unpaved surfaces. Oh, and I had to wait at the RR track for my friend to catch up.:mrgreen:
I hope to get photos of the "V" off road sometime and post them up for the naysayers. In the mean time I invite those who know to post photos offroad if they have them.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
Gravel roads are still roads, of course the vee can handle them,

real dual sport riding... can it be done, sure with great care & skill, is it any fun, I dunno, haven't really attempted too much, and not something I really wanna do, too heavy, my little SV650 works better, poorly maintained forest access roads are about the roughest I hit with the Vee-strom

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A 1000 on gravel? Hmmm, well, I'm currently in Alaska and have so far done the Top Of The World Hwy (gravel/dirt) and the Denali Hwy (gravel) as I'm sure MANY, MANY others have done on DL1ks. To me it really comes down to the skill of the rider and not the specific bike. I find the 650 vs 1000 debate usually hinges on the weight of the bike. Honestly, most every rider I meet on a 650 (or any smaller bike) has at least 40 lbs of body weight on me (I'm 140lbs) so I say we're even----LOL!:-D

Oh, and for pics of my Strom on gravel, yesterday's Denali Hwy ride: HERE and last week's TOW Hwy: HERE

Stromette
(AGirl)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Breathtaking

A 1000 on gravel? Hmmm, well, I'm currently in Alaska and have so far done the Top Of The World Hwy (gravel/dirt) and the Denali Hwy (gravel) as I'm sure MANY, MANY others have done on DL1ks. To me it really comes down to the skill of the rider and not the specific bike. I find the 650 vs 1000 debate usually hinges on the weight of the bike. Honestly, most every rider I meet on a 650 (or any smaller bike) has at least 40 lbs of body weight on me (I'm 140lbs) so I say we're even----LOL!:-D

Oh, and for pics of my Strom on gravel, yesterday's Denali Hwy ride: HERE and last week's TOW Hwy: HERE

Stromette
(AGirl)

Wow, what breathtakingly beautiful photos. How I envy you. I hope I get to do something like that someday. For now, by bike is more for commutes, errands, and short joy rides. Maybe someday I'll have time to tour like that. :cry:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Big Bend National Park, nuff said! Of course, I was the slowest of the group but that was due to my inability, not the Strom's capability. The big vee does just fine on gravel roads! I have some pics but can't access them on the AF computer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thread hijack in progress....

Stromette, that is absolutely awesome! I know what my next big trip goal is now. Incredible!

Do you know yet what is causing the noise in your bike?

And, thanks for the testimony to the viability of the Strom in gravel!

·
Registered
147 Posts

Stromette
(AGirl)

WOW that looks like it was an amazing trip. I cant wait to go up North, pictures like that just make you want to go out and RIDE!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the possitive replys'. Stromette those photos are really something. I always wanted to ride in a place like that, but the best I get out East is the Adirondacks and parts of WV.
Seems almost a waste to post the shots I got today while riding but what the heck.:rolleyes:
On a nice gravel road.;)

On something a little worse.:twisted:

Yeah, the "V" got dirty.:eek:

I'd still love to see more shots of gnarly places your taking your Big V or Wee.:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
This was three weeks ago on the Magruder Corridor in ID.

My 1000 and a 650 at 8202 ft.

TC:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Those are TKC-80's by Continental Tire. It is an excellent tire on and off road. I just can't get enough miles out of one. Loved them on my KLR, only got 2500 miles on the rear.
The rider on the red Wee really loved how they handled.

TC:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts