StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch engages on my 07 Vee at the very end of its stoke. There is no freeplay at the end of the handle...as soon as you pull on the lever the clutch disengages. It does not slip but is not correct. I cannot find any adjustment in the system. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
It is a hydraulic clutch, there is no adjustment other than the clutch lever itself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You either have air in the line, or a fried clutch. Hopefully it's air, good luck!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
normal, weird but normal

the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder uses pressure provided by your hand acting on the piston in the master cylinder reservoir to over come the clutch return spring pressure. When you release the clutch lever the springs push the slave piston only back as far as the return springs have travel. this gives you next to no end play. this accounts for the late release and no end play feel you are experiencing.

No worries ride like ya stole it!!

But keep the shiny side up!!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ditto. That's how a hydraulic clutch works. It's another advantage of hydrauilcs: no adjustment necessary for the life of the unit. :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It is operating correctly but there is a way to make it release closer to the bar if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good to see this! I was wondering about it myself. If a clutch is releasing that far out I assume that it is on its last legs. Mine doesn't slip either so I figured I'd ride it until I notice some slippage before condemning it. It's good to see that it is normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The clutch engages on my 07 Vee at the very end of its stoke. There is no freeplay at the end of the handle...as soon as you pull on the lever the clutch disengages. It does not slip but is not correct. I cannot find any adjustment in the system. Any ideas? Thanks
Maybe I am reading this different but it sounds like he is saying that the clutch is at the very beginning of the pull?.?.

I have less than 2000 miles on it and it has always disengaged the gears at the beginning of the pull. The last 2/3rds of the pull is just wasted pull. I have yet to take it off road but that is going to make feathering the clutch a lot of work.

I like my V a lot, but I really do NOT like the clutch. It is the stiffest clutch I have ever used and I too don’t like that it engages/disengages so early in the grip. I don’t have large hands so having to feather a clutch with such a wide open grip really makes it a lot of extra work on top if it being so stiff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
CrozB: Have you tried adjusting you clutch lever? The engage/disengage point will still be at the end of the travel, but it will be closer to the bar. The Strom clutch is light compared to other bikes (my 03 Sporty comes to mind). Once you get used to the fact your friction zone is only 1/2 inch wide you will be able to control the bike perfectly. You don't move your fingers, you just think about squeezing and releasing and you will be in control.

Dusty

·
Registered
43 Posts
CrozB: Have you tried adjusting you clutch lever? The engage/disengage point will still be at the end of the travel, but it will be closer to the bar. The Strom clutch is light compared to other bikes (my 03 Sporty comes to mind). Once you get used to the fact your friction zone is only 1/2 inch wide you will be able to control the bike perfectly. You don't move your fingers, you just think about squeezing and releasing and you will be in control.

Dusty
Yes I have. Thanks for that… The adjuster just makes such little difference. However, I am sure you are right that with time it will become so second nature I won’t even notice. You know how it is coming from a bike you loved to a NEW bike you love, there are those things that are just different enough that they stick in your mind. Perhaps they have a lever that rides even closer to the bars. I have plenty of play between the bar and engaging. But like I said, I am sure after my 3000mile trip next month I will not even notice.

-D

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Yes I have. Thanks for that… The adjuster just makes such little difference. However, I am sure you are right that with time it will become so second nature I won’t even notice. You know how it is coming from a bike you loved to a NEW bike you love, there are those things that are just different enough that they stick in your mind. Perhaps they have a lever that rides even closer to the bars. I have plenty of play between the bar and engaging. But like I said, I am sure after my 3000mile trip next month I will not even notice.

-D
Are you shouting at us????

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
V-Strom Clutch

Thanks guys...This is like getting the opinions of a dozen mechanics. I am assuming to get the clutch engagement closer to the handle bar I have to file the clutch lever a little. That won't be too difficult. Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents i have problem with clutch too, mine when is cold working fine.
Then if it getting warmer it is starting to slip and in the end it is completely disconnected and 'the monster' has no drive at all.
What can be the problem?

Bike has about 39k km on the clock.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
When was the fluid last flushed? Every two years is a minimum. Also, a valve/port in the master or slave cylinder could be stuck/blocked.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,350 Posts
Gents i have problem with clutch too, mine when is cold working fine.
Then if it getting warmer it is starting to slip and in the end it is completely disconnected and 'the monster' has no drive at all.
What can be the problem?

Bike has about 39k km on the clock.
Also check the area where the slave cylinder mounts to the transmission case. This area can get full of gunk from chain lube and road debris. It can actually cause the clutch pushrod to stick and cause slippage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking of the clutch. My dad has inflammation of the tendens in his hands. His dl1000 as everyone I have ridden has a very stiff clutch pull. Has anyone found a fix. I have working on motorcycle for 30 years. I have 11 motorcycles in my garage including a suzuki hayabusa. The pull in it is very easy and he has no problem pulling it but the strom is stiff. He has installed a steel braided line with new fluid. No change. If you know of a fix please help. He is a retired master gunnery Sargent in the marine corp. Over 30 years in the marines. I would like to keep riding with him for a few more years. Thanks so much guys.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i haven't ridden a wee, but maybe the mechanical clutch is a lighter pull. i think it's possible to convert the vee to a cable type clutch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts