StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 1k and I need to replace the front sprocket cuz of shark tooth effect. I was going to go with a new 525 chain and 16/41 sprockets. I talked to my local Suzuki dealer and he suggested switching to a 520 chain and sprockets. He said there was very little difference in the strength and the 520's were much more common and cheaper to boot. My question is: Has anyone tried this modification and what are your thoughts about sprocket/chain wear and longevity.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
520 chains are as strong but the sprockets aren't

your dealer wants to sell you more sprockets, I suggest going the other way to 530

the TLR, TLS & SV1000 come with 530, why not the DL1000 ? budget bike I guess

I wear front sprockets first myself
I got 16k from my original front sprocket, I swapped everything over to 530, now I got 61k and I just replaces that sey of sprockets & chain last week

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
174 Posts
the TLR, TLS & SV1000 come with 530, why not the DL1000 ? budget bike I guess
Correcto mundo. The DL1000 is better bike with long lasting 530 chain. The horsepower loss is greatest on 530 but chain longevity is the best with 530. So what are your priorities? When my stock 525 needs replacing it will be with a top of the line 530.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How much better is the longevity with a 530 over 525? And what is the cost difference?

For that matter, how much longer will a better quality 525 and sprocket set last over the stock chain or a comparable O-ring replacement? Is an X-ring or other better quality chain really going to provide much better service life, and at what cost?

I'm about to change my original chain today at 40,000km (25,000mi). Can I expect substantially better service life from either option?

·
Registered
664 Posts
My Vee already had the chain replaced when I bought it, so this reflects my experience on other bikes. Better quality chains last longer than cheap chains. I've had x-ring chains last longer than o-ring chains. Either way, regular cleaning and lubing will make your chain last longer. the last chain I bought, I got a top quality x-ring for what another dealer was going to charge me for a more generic o-ring. Prices vary, so shop around. Similarly a 530 is going to cost more than a 525, but will last about the same percentage longer.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I chose a 525 because it fits the OEM front sprocket. All of the aftermarket front sprockets I've seen look like cheesy stamped junk. They have comparatively little bearing surface, no damper, etc.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
How much better is the longevity with a 530 over 525? And what is the cost difference?
already answered partially

I got 16k from my original front sprocket, I swapped everything over to 530, now I got 61k and I just replaces that sey of sprockets & chain last week
original 525 lasted 16k replacment 530 lasted 45k or 281% longer for about 10% higher initial cost

I chose a 525 because it fits the OEM front sprocket. All of the aftermarket front sprockets I've seen look like cheesy stamped junk. They have comparatively little bearing surface, no damper, etc.
:confused:

don't use an aftermarket sprocket, use the oem SV1000 sprocket

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Upgrade

putting on a 520 is a downgrade IMO, you want less chain life? you have a torque monster there, put on the 530 go to a 16/43 setup, you will not be disapponted....

:beatnik:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I went with a 525 chain and 16/43 sprockets. Only recently changed so can't comment on longevity. Seems to be a popular combination though for Strommers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts