StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the old girl away last November and just fired it up today and went for a 10 mile ride. About half way, once the bike was warm, my engine wouldn't rev out like it should and was popping. On idle I can make it pop by gassing it. She ain't running right. Fuel was treated with seafoam and was 93 octane, i'm not sure tha'ts the issue. It could be that i've never run at 40 degrees and maybe it's not tuned correctly . I do have a dynojet power commander in there and can load custom maps if need be, but it seemed to run good with the map sent from the factory for my specific modifications. At least it did last summer.

Any first things to check out?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,629 Posts
Might be time to research the "external fuel filter mod"! If not making power at full throttle...that usually points to inadequate fuel volume/pressure. Both hindered by a dirty fuel filter. Which is not replaceable ( except with a new pump ) on these bikes. So, bypass the factory filter and install on inline with the fuel hose to the injectors.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I can essentially not use the existing filter and go to an inline one like what's on many other motors? Is the stock filter inside the pump or somewhere near it that would allow me to bypass?

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
So I can essentially not use the existing filter and go to an inline one like what's on many other motors? Is the stock filter inside the pump or somewhere near it that would allow me to bypass?
Yes and yes. Lots of info on the procedure posted.

However, do the fuel flow test first to determine if that is the problem. It may just be water in the tank. If it was a filter problem, it would be a big coincidence that it was running fine when you parked it and now it's not.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mice in the airbox or inlet snorkel? Don't laugh, apparently it is fairly common after winter storage.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My guess is water condensate in fuel tank and scrape battery terminals clean/retighten. It was running when it went to storage. + I myself have had a mouse build a den in the airbox. stocked the pantry with d-con pellets. True story.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Does not sound like the high pressure fuel filter what you describe.
1. I would check the air filter.
2. make sure the air box boots are in the correct position and tight. They tend to blow off the throttle body when you have a pop and then that causes all sorts of issues, like you describe.
3. Any signs of rodents having feasted on your spark plug wires.
4. Battery contacts and ground to the engine case. Make sure they are clean, tight and have good contact.

Hopefully by checking these items its back to life :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll get a look at my air inlets. The filter was replaced before winter and all looked good but there's certainly a possibility of mice crawling in there alsthough i think my 2 barn cats do a good job of keeping them at bay. Battery was new last season and connections look great. This is fuel related or air related issue more than likely. I'm also inclined to hope its water in the tank.

I'm going to take another ride today to see if i can maybe clear it up a bit. We're expecting 60 degree high so should be a good day to give it a go.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Seafood is not as good a storing device as advertised. How much ethanol was in the gas
This is correct. Don't use seafood for this purpose.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far so good. I've put 100 miles on the new plugs and it's as though the problem is fixed entirely.

I'm wondering though if it's running rich? Seems to pull and operate fine, but what would cause the other plugs to foul out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts