StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Unplug connector for the wire, take off the one retaining nut (10mm?) on the backside, remove, and replace.

Picture

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
adv-biker,

1. Turn handlebars to the right all the way.

2. Locate wires coming from the signal light through to the inside of the fairing. On top of the connector there is a little "paddle". Lift up on the paddle and pull the connector apart.

3. There is a 17mm nut and a washer on the signal assembly stalk inside the fairing. That holds the light assembly to the fairing. Remove it with a 17mm open end wrench.

4. Pull the complete assembly out.

5. Put new assembly in. Thread wires through the washer and nut. Tighten nut.

6. The connector coming from the light has a little "tit" on top of it. That "tit" goes up. The connector coming from the headlight area has the "paddle". That paddle goes up. Then just push them together until you hear a faint click. To put them together, stand on the left side of bike facing forward. Light connector in left hand and other connector in right hand which has gone over the bars to get in there.

7. Remove lens with #2 Phillips screwdriver. Install an #1156 automotive bulb. ( available at any auto parts store and even some supermarkets)Replace lens.

8. Locate the refridgerator.

9. Remove cold beer.

10. Remove the cap.

11. Drink beer.

12. Discard empty container in returns bin. (for 5 cent return, 10 cents in some northern state that begins with an 'M')

13. Repeat steps 8,9,10,11 & 12 as many times as necessary for desired effect.

·
Registered
219 Posts
jackpiner57 said:
adv-biker,

3. There is a 17mm nut and a washer on the signal assembly stalk inside the fairing. That holds the light assembly to the fairing. Remove it with a 17mm open end wrench.
Not to be picky but I think he will have a hard time turning a 10mm nut with a 17mm wrench. Maybe a typo or maybe mine has the wrong nut on it. But I would definately follow steps 8-12. Those are the most important.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
SmkyMtnVStrom,

It's a 17mm. I know, because I just put one on a couple of days ago. :oops:

I even went out and double checked today before posting so I wouldn't give the wrong info.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Jackpiner57

Where were your instructions a week ago when I needed them ? lol. Would also be a bonus to have long skinny arms and small hands

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
water warrior said:
Jackpiner57

Where were your instructions a week ago when I needed them ? lol. Would also be a bonus to have long skinny arms and small hands

I know, putting the connectors back together was the hardest part! :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot everyone

I tried using the wrench, but the nut was lose enough to be unscrewed by hand. I detached the connector. Put in the new signal and spent 90% time trying to spot the wiring by touching..and came across a few spiders.

Finally, I felt some thin wire and it did click.

Now my turn signal goes < > < > < >...! [me just playing with it while slaloming].

Thanks everyone..

·
Registered
29 Posts
My method, for repairing a front turn indicator light, while it involved drilling, was $o much more $ati$fying. Picked up a set of Lockhart flush mounts for $25 - after picking myself up off the floor from the dealer quote of $65 per side. ..and they really look cool. Dealer said 99% of customers do the same when they get the OEM price.

G

·
0 Posts
Turn signal bracket

Along the same line as this. On returning from recent ride on dirt I found my RT turn signal hanging by wire. The 17mm nut is still attached to plastic. Is that recessed "square hole" molded as a part of the faring? Will I have to replace whole faring? Did not hit anything but a lot of rough road. Has anybody had this esperience? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hard to imagine this happening, Gravy. Must have been a really rough road.! Yes, the recess is part of the molded fairing piece. Must have been a fault in the molding. You still on warantee? - might want to try showing this to Suzuki and perhaps not mention bushwacking. Cost of new fairing would be prohibitive IMO. If you're commited to the original indicator try the following. Since the recessed area is not visible once the indicator is mounted, I think it can be repaired - fit the broken piece back in and back up the repair with a flat piece of plastic on the inside that covers the entire area of the recessed flat - then redrill the hole for the mount. ABS/PVC glue should do it. The proper glue is specified in another string on this forum - I think under the "Fenda-extender" string.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Hard to imagine

Yes was a shock to see light hanging by wire. thanks for the tip on repair. new cowling is almost $200 so will try this repair first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts