StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Materials needed:
1 Stanely ¾” double hinge clasp lock 1 2” Section of 4” pipe (either normal, or thinwall)
1 Waterproof lock
1 4” End cap for drinking water (you can also use a flat end)
1 4” female end
1 4” screw on Male cap
1 PVC Primer
1 PVC Cement
1 can of Krylon black fusion
1 caulk or other waterproofing agent

Tools
Hacksaw
File
Screwgun with 1/8th drill bit
Rag

Sorry for the poor pictures, I don’t have a digital camera.

Go ahead and cut the pipe to a desired length (I used 17”) with a hacksaw, and then use a file to remove the burred edges. Wipe all dust off with water. After you have done that sandpaper the edges to get it roughed up a bit and apply PVC primer to both pieces. Then apply Cement to both the inside, and outside of both pipes. Twist the end cap on with a ¾ turn and let dry for 5-15 minutes.

Repeat this for securing the other end (male/female end).

Now attach the latch as shown. You will need to drill pilot holes with a 1/8th drill. Make sure to apply some caulk to the back of the screws to maintain a waterproof seal when done. The latch also doubles as a lever if the lid should the lid get stuck. Make sure you have the lid screwed down all the way before installing the hinge. Otherwise it won’t line up!

After screwing it down and caulking, let it dry for awhile. If you feel like it, you can cut off the screws before you caulk over them. I didn’t mind the little bumps so I left them in.

Now you can paint it with your desired color. I use krylon fusion because its supposed to bond to plastic good. After it has finished mount it on the bike. Don’t forget to loctite your screws so they don’t vibrate off. I used some steel L brackets, rubber offsets, and hose clamps. I’m partial to how JBH painted his:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=209926&postcount=352

You can also run a bungee around the lock to keep it from vibrating, and banging against things.

Congrats, you now have a secure, durable, waterproof, connection that distributes weight low on the bike, and is an efficient use of space. It’s tough enough to get ejected from the bike, and keep all your tools intact. If you are going off-road you can throw your phone and wallet in it. Best of all it was less than $40!

Eric :jkam

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got any photos of how you mounted it to your bike? I am planning on making something similar this week and have been trying to figure out how to mount it to the bike. I have considered mounting it to the givi rack with some pipe clamps and angle iron, but haven't decided for sure yet.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Darn! I'd love one of those, but i have an exhaust pipe in the way :wink:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very cool! I might have to make one of these. I'm missing an exhaust on one side :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finished painting it tonight. After much head scratching (mounting it is difficult), I figured I was making it too complicated and looked around the garage to see what I had laying around. Lo and behold I found some nice U Bolts, washers and lock nuts lying around. Drill a few holes, and it pops right on. The pictures show the front U Bolt, and then on the rear of the can I used a pipe clamp, with rubber insulator.

Has anyone ever had the pipe smack the chain guard if you really hit a bump? I tried to retain maximum clearance but I still wonder.

Painted:

Bike with my new luggage:

Looking down from the back:

U-bolt:

No pics of the pipe clamp. Sorry

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mounting a pipe is just one more reason to get SW-Motech quick lock racks. It's much easier to make mounting brackets for the big flat parts than the tubular Givis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts