StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my shakedown ride with my new homemade soft saddlebag supports, supporting my venerable Cortech saddlebags and tail bag. 35 miles, no problems. When I got to work I stuck my hand into the right saddlebag and felt the bottom, which rests on the muffler at the very back. It was barely warm, but I will be adding a layer of heat-deflecting material to the bottom of that saddlebag anyway. I will also be rounding and smoothing the corners of the brackets. I really prefer the narrower profile of soft bags, which can hold an amazing amount of stuff. The soft bags can also act as pretty effective "air bags" if you happen to drop the bike.
I made these brackets out of one 4 foot section of aluminum strap from Home Depot. It's 1 inch wide, 1/8" thick. (May change to thicker material in the future; let's see how this works out.)

Attachments

Reactions: EMFL

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
The inward droop might go away with another bit of strap going from side to side behind the rear end? Lots of regular bag racks have such a brace.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. There's already a strap across the top of the taillight pulling the tops together. Inward droop is not a problem as long as the bags don't "droop" into the rear wheel, which they did before I made the supports.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Isn't the exhaust messing up your bag? or the smoke from the exhaust? I'm looking for a DIY solution for my 650 xt

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Were I fabbing something of a similar nature, I'd probably take an angle grinder and knock down the sharp points where the steel straps meet at 90 degrees. If you have a lot of stuff in the bags, those sharp angles can create wear points in the bag when it's rubbing on the support frame. Plus, it'll really hurt when you bang your hand or knee or other appendage on that sharp angle when you're working around the bike when the bags are off.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
When I built mine I used straight alloy strap from the pillion peg on the left side to the licence plate and from the exhaust mount to the licence plate on the right side.

Only required 4 holes be drilled and 2 bends over my knee, due to the shape they cant droop and I know they easily survive some misadventure.

I leave the bolts in place and just add a extra nut when I fit the racks, that means about 30 seconds each side to fit or remove.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I built mine I used straight alloy strap from the pillion peg on the left side to the licence plate and from the exhaust mount to the licence plate on the right side.

Only required 4 holes be drilled and 2 bends over my knee, due to the shape they cant droop and I know they easily survive some misadventure.

I leave the bolts in place and just add a extra nut when I fit the racks, that means about 30 seconds each side to fit or remove.
Can you send pictures? thanks!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Can you send pictures? thanks!
I will look through my piles of junk but I expect I cut them up for another project, after I fitted frames for my Givi cases that now do double duty occasionally holding my soft bags & spare fuel cells.

If you can imagine they looked like flat hockey sticks with a hole at each end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Old post but I revived it and now what to show my DIY (with a metal worker guy) rack for soft saddlebags.

It's not elegant, but it gets the job done (tested it around town). In the future I want to install a hinge to fold it up when the bags are not in use. It doesn't go out too much, so I don't think, in the event of a crash, that it will catch my leg touch wood

Oh, and the soft bags were made with a local guy as well, not sure about the waterproof aspect of it, so I'll take trash bags inside to cover the clothes.

Here are the pics, maybe it helps someone

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
@Aorata
Welcome! I think your saddle bag supports look great. Quite pro. I suspect that having lateral and bottom support is a bonus, but clearly would be sized to fit a specific bag height/ depth. Nice work.

Reactions: Aorata
1 - 11 of 11 Posts