StromTrooper banner

DIY Recall Repair?

6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  G-Dub 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone is doing the recall repair (harness, ground wire, connector) themselves? I talked to the dealer that sold me my bike. They're a small mom and pop place and they said they needed "a few weeks heads up" and that they would take care of the "breather hose repair" which makes me very skeptical of bringing it to them.

I have another dealer near me, however I've heard their service department doesn't really like recalls, especially for bikes that they didn't sell.

Any thoughts on a DIY repair?

#2 ·
As here in Portugal recall hasn't started yet, I'm going to give it a go in few weeks if dealer doesn't get any news (he's really trying and calling main Suzuki importer every day, but no luck yet).
Wires bellow the tank, I've sorted 6 months ago but I was lazy to go on and remove airbox and take care of all front connectors, anot just the ignition one metioned in recall. So, in few weeks I'll complete the job and slip bicycle tube secured with zipties over all the connectors. That job should take me about two hours, doing it very slowly. As for the ground wire relocation, that should be the quick one, just have to find and order heat insulator.

#3 ·
I done my diy recall today. Like other folk I'd sleeved the connectors under the air box and fixed the tank rubbing wires a few months ago, all I needed was the earth. My dealer give me the a kit and I done the earth. Heat shield was a swine to fit and a bit untidy but after I taped the ends up its ok

#17 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Not an overly complicated DIY project, but your bike's VIN will remain with an outstanding recall filed against it unless an authorized dealer performs and records the work, no?

Resale value concerns? Liability issues? Dealer territory for me!

#11 ·
exactly my thought. Not to mention if you ever have an issue with the wiring harness suzuki would never cover it with your diy repair.

#12 ·
Wouldn't that be fraud? the dealer is billing suzuki for the warranty repair that they didn't complete.

#9 ·
Does anyone have printed repair instructions for the recall from Suzuki? If I knew exactly where to look for what I would certainly tackle it myself. I don't understand why dealers are so incompetent in my area. I seriously don' trust any of them. At least if I screw it up I know it was my fault lol.

#13 ·
I'm still waiting and no recall here in Portugal, yet. That's why I'm thinking about doing it myself before it gets to the point of needing new harness or leaving me stranded on the road. I've already solved chaffing wires problem bellow the tank, a year ago.
The bike can later go to dealer to perform the recall work again, if they want, if the Recall letter ever comes.

#15 ·
So if we are tackling this ourselves, what all are we looking for? The clump that was shorting on the tank I have moved down a bit and put a rubber pad on the tank for JIC. The ground I will get free (it is really almost welded in there) with an impact, clean, goop with electro grease and reseat when I switch out my front sprocket. There's a connection somewhere that can corrode and needs to be seen to? Where exactly? Anything else?

#16 · (Edited)
Again, these are the fixes:
Suzuki recalling V-Stroms (for three separate electrical issues) - MoreBikes

I really think too much has been made of this. I'd bet that the number of bikes that have had any problems is quite minimal; and I'm guessing most of them are in places where the weather tends to be 'wet', causing the connections to get corroded.
I took a look at the problem areas on my bike and did not find anything wrong, so I took some measures to waterproof the connectros and lower the wires under the tank. The ground wire is fully accessible and can be loosened and cleaned very easily if need be. Some AFC-50 once in a while will keep the corrosion at bay – if any.

I agree that ideally the work should be done by a dealer, and I will get them to take a look eventually (I believe recalls on vehicles do not expire). But right now they are busy delivering new bikes and getting their spring work done, and leaving them the bike for a week or two to do some work that I can easily do, just doesn't make sense to me.

#18 ·
Ground Wire

The stated reason for moving the ground wire is it's attached to a painted surface, meaning connection is just made via the screw through the threads to the engine case. Seems you could remove the terminal and scrape the paint? Maybe it's just in too awkward of a location to do that. I would think maybe another problem is that it is where it could get road spray from the rear tire and moving it up behind the sprocket is better protected. If moving the wire yourself you will probably want to scrape or sand the new mounting location thoroughly if it is not already bare metal.

#19 ·
Still waiting for oficial recall here in Portugal. But my dealer looked closely to technical discription of recall from this forum and said he couldn't understand moving the ground wire because new location looks the same as the old one - painted engine casing. And on my bike road crap doesn't get to actual location as I have rear hugger.

#20 ·
The new location on my bike was not painted so should be a better earth. The heat shield suzuki give with the kit is a bit of a patch up job, looks like something I had done rather than one of the world's biggest motorcycle manufacturers! But if it works then ok but im keeping my secondary earth lead under the seat just in case, once bitten twice shy.

#21 ·
Is the original wire still used when moving to the new attachment location? It looks like the new spot is a little longer run, but maybe there is some slack up above in that wire?

#22 ·
Don't have mine apart yet but by the diagram I cannot see heat effecting it any worse. Looks like it is just moving it just a bit closer to the water jacket. I will surely only make the original position a better bond anyway. And I'd say swinging it over to me looks like it will still fit without a longer cable. My 2 cents.

#25 ·
Next question: what would be a good product to use to apply to the tank to prevent wiring abrasion? Normal tape wouldn't work due to the temperature extremes involved. Had thought about a piece of inner tube rubber applied with contact cement. It would be nice if there was some peel-and-stick commercial product you didn't have to buy a case of.

#26 ·
There should be wide range of 3M products that can do the job, various thicknesses. For example, transparent rear bumper protection pad for car, the one you'd stick on to protect the bumper from scratching when you load the things into the trunk. I've seen loads of them on eBay.

#28 ·
Just got a call from my dealer. Recall work started in Portugal, finally. He said, don't wait for the letter. We'll arrange some time next week, bring it in and help me with the work (he's my friend) and we're through in hour or two. So, I'll take bicycle tire inner tube to protect other connectors not included in recall and change air filter while we're in there.

#29 ·
I took mine in yesterday for the wire harness rubbing issue and the potential corrosion issue. The dealer said they had the harness kit in stock and the entire job would take less than 2 hrs.

So I dropped it off, went to breakfast,returned to dealership and it was ready. They said that everything was fine the way it was and needed no adjustments NOTHING. Hmmm.

To be honest I'm not convinced they did anything. I took a good look at every bolt, allen, and fastener to remove tank and see no signs of any tools used anywhere. Its rare I cant find evidence when tools applied to bolts, etc.

Not many stealerships Ive ever trusted.

#30 ·
At a minimum they should have moved the ground wire, put a cover on the ignition connectors, and worked on the harness abrasion issue - put protective pad to the underside of the tank. The last two you would have to lift the tank to tell, but at least you could tell if they moved the ground wire. On the left side of the bike in front of the rear tire, the large black wire coming down the frame from above - if you can see the termination point at the rear of the engine and there is no heavy covering on that wire then they didn't move it. The new termination point is behind the front sprocket and not visible without removing the sprocket cover. There are pics on the V2 recall thread.

#31 ·
It's pretty easy to tell if you have the abrasion issue between the wiring harness and the tank. If you take the tank off, there will be some scuffing evident as per the pic I took of mine.

After this pic (and after I'd repaired it myself because the dealer said they'd not yet been notified of the recall...) I did 14,500kms over 6 weeks (touring Aus.)

The bike currently has 32,000 kms on it. Had the tank off again this weekend fitting new plugs. My simple pre-tour quick fix patch using 50mm electrical tape and relocating the offending harness downward has been working just fine. To be honest, there is no way I want the local dealer pulling my bike apart.

#37 · (Edited)
Greetings....so I posted the message below a few weeks ago. This post a follow up to that post.

My worst suspicions on this dealership and what they did and didn't do came to play. The wire chaffing under the tank thing as really been bothering me and because I could not even find evidence that the bastards at dealer ever removed tank I set out last night to see for myself.

I found that the outer wire sheathing at this electrical intersection was in direct contact and rubbing against underside of the tank. The wires themselves had not been damaged but it was only a matter of time. The tank had not been removed and nothing was done from the recall. I knew when I got to those 2 push fasteners at the two side harnesses which were completely undisturbed.

I took a day off work for this which not only cost me allot of money but a complete waste of time. The underside of tank where sheathing was in contact was had chipped the paint off that your fingernail could feel.

2 Questions:

1. Can I post of the name and this experience of the dealership here?

2. Does anyone who addressed this issue themselves here have and finished photos of what they did?

Here is what mine looked like.

Thanks.
Pushrod

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I took mine in yesterday for the wire harness rubbing issue and the potential corrosion issue. The dealer said they had the harness kit in stock and the entire job would take less than 2 hrs.

So I dropped it off, went to breakfast,returned to dealership and it was ready. They said that everything was fine the way it was and needed no adjustments NOTHING. Hmmm.

To be honest I'm not convinced they did anything. I took a good look at every bolt, allen, and fastener to remove tank and see no signs of any tools used anywhere. Its rare I cant find evidence when tools applied to bolts, etc.

Not many stealerships Ive ever trusted. "

Attachments

#38 ·
I'd be curious if they marked your VIN as recall complete online.. Have you checked? Then you'd have legitimate ammo with Suzuki corporate against them. I don't see posting the dealership online as impacting them much as we are all spread out but I'd definitely voice it locally. My local dealership overfilled the oil in a previous scooter I owned and I've never been back. Won't ever go in again for anything. I now ride 120 miles each way for any maintenance including the recall. One chance with me, my bike, and my money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.