StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fingers are cold!

I saw hikrynut's DIY extended handguards here and think they look great.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/275187-post12.html

Unfortunately it looks like hikrynut hasn't been active in about 18months --hikrynut, are you there? :)

I sent him a PM, but just in case he isn't active anymore, I figured I'd ask the community.

I want to do the same thing. I bought a $5 black wastebasket with plenty of flat sections to scavenge (Rubbermaid #4 plastic from Home Depot). And I bought a pack of 15 small black plastic pop rivets for $5 from the Auto parts store. So my total cost will be $10 for the upgrade. I'm trying pop rivets, since I like the look and I'd like to take them on/off depending on the weather.

I think I can make a prototype out of paper and use it as a template to cut my plastic.

My big question is about forming the guards. There are several long bends to make. I'm not sure if I must heat it or if there is anything I need to do to keep it from discoloring at the bend. Has anyone done this before?

Also, I can't tell from the picture if there is a seam where the side panels meet. It seems like there should be. I guess I could try to tastefully hide it glue it together the side pieces unless there's a better way.

Anyway, I have some ideas for the project but wanted to see if anyone else has some experience here and can improve on my plan. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Heat gun

I made my own fenda extenda using some plastic from TAP plastics. I used a heat gun to gently heat and then formed by hand. Wear leather gloves and use the minimum amount of heat required. Hold the shape until cooled. Use a straight edge for the straight bends. I clamped my piece in a vice. The black plastic won't discolour.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I know about DIY and projects but I saw a friends GS the other day with Wonderlich hippo hand like covers on the handle bars. Beautiful! has little windows to see the switches. Cost about the same as the Hippo Hand product at $85, plus 10 buck shipping of course.
Benefit would be the easy removal and storage when the weather gets hot and pleasant again.
I'd imagine a propane torch could suffice as a heat source for making bends though.
There are some thermo plastics available in sheets that fellers have used for projects like this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes I'd love to buy something pre-made but feel like I've gone overboard recently with my new toy and I should save a few bucks somewhere.

I'm sure the plastic sheets are great. I wish I had that. The rubbermaid wastebasket feels really sturdy and has a nice matte black color, so I feel like *IF* I can make it work it should give the desired effect.

I think I have a propane torch to heat it like you guys recommended. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Heat guns work great and will not discolour the plastic, I use a heat gun to put the colour back, if you crease a plastic guard and it goes white just heat it up and the colour will return.

Another way to bend plastic is to hold it over a boiling kettle, the steam will soften the plastic, bend and hold till cool.

I make plastic for a living so I get to play with it more than I would like :headbang:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat guns work great and will not discolour the plastic, I use a heat gun to put the colour back, if you crease a plastic guard and it goes white just heat it up and the colour will return.

Another way to bend plastic is to hold it over a boiling kettle, the steam will soften the plastic, bend and hold till cool.

I make plastic for a living so I get to play with it more than I would like :headbang:

Awesome tips. I didn't know that, thanks!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I could have sworn that someone on this site cut up a couple gallon-sized plastic bottles and riveted the flat spot on the guard while using the curvature near the neck of the bottle on the bottom.....

He used those plastic pop rivets to remove them during the summer season.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I found that the hand guards are good in the summer too. Seems peak temps from sun and bounce back from the road are about at handle bar level and it keeps my hands from cooking. Nice protection in those summer down pours too!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could have sworn that someone on this site cut up a couple gallon-sized plastic bottles and riveted the flat spot on the guard while using the curvature near the neck of the bottle on the bottom.....

He used those plastic pop rivets to remove them during the summer season.
Interesting. I didn't see that but was wondering if an old black antifreeze bottle would work.

From the pictures, it looks like the outside corner was preformed, meaning it was cut off of something that already had a nice 3-sided corner with some cool contours.

Kind of makes me want to look a little harder for something like that before I resort to doing origami to my wastebasket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, time to share.

I installed one yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the result. I'll ride around with that one for a little while before I commit to the same design for the second. I haven't gotten to do much riding to see how they perform besides a ride around the block and they seem pretty sturdy. The same template will be used for the second form ... just folded inside-out (vs. the first).

The plastic trash can worked perfectly and was only $5 and will have enough material for two handguard extensions. The plastic pop rivets (3 used) made a super tight fit and look great. The extensions are completely removable with only 3 small holes drilled into the OEM guards since I used no glue.

I was going to fold and glue and possibly weld a corner (with a soldering iron) and ended up going with a K.I.S.S. design with one single fold and no bonding of materials. I'm pretty happy with that decision and I'm glad I didn't overcomplicate it too much. You can see on one picture what my original idea was.

There is only one fold along the front edge which I did with a vice and propane torch to warm it. I sanded the edges with 600 grit sandpaper which made them smooth.

You can see from the front view that a little daylight is visible at the edge of the extension (on the right of the photo). I may attempt to seal that edge, but I don't think much or any air is coming through there. That's my only possible area of disappointment, but considering how little time and money I spent on this I'm pretty satisfied.

Edit: I tried to attach 6 pictures but it won't work (?). Here's a link to Imgur instead:
http://imgur.com/a/77t2k#0

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looks good, nice write up. Thanks for sharing!

I probably will attempt the same thing and see how it turns out.

Do you think you may need to put velcro or a 4th rivet to prevent wind-induced flapping on the bottom?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good, nice write up. Thanks for sharing!

I probably will attempt the same thing and see how it turns out.

Do you think you may need to put velcro or a 4th rivet to prevent wind-induced flapping on the bottom?
Thanks good luck with yours! No I don't think that will be necessary. The one bottom fastener seems to do the trick. You can always try without and add fasteners later as you need. In fact I just added a 4th one to tighten the gap on the right side.

After writing this I realize one other thing. The guard contacts the tank if I turn the handlebars all the way. For me it's no big deal since the wastebasket material is kind of flexible and deforms but then pops back. I may elect to shorten the inside edge at shine point though.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have trouble with air spilling over the TOP's of my Suzuki hand guards. I have a set mounted on a Yamaha FJR1300 and a set on my '08 WeeStrom.

·
Registered
430 Posts
They look decent. But, I'd just go out and buy a set if it was me. Not worth the hassle. Hand-guards aren't expensive.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
They look decent. But, I'd just go out and buy a set if it was me. Not worth the hassle. Hand-guards aren't expensive.
Hand guards are already there, this is just adding to them for increased protection coming from underneath. I think they turned out pretty good, and was debating trying something like this as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great choice for material

I did something similar with a black plastic stair tread from the local hardware store, bought the widest tread, used the smooth side out. One tread made two hand guard extensions, and a mud flap for front fender. You can use a hair dryer if a heat gun is not available. These guards extensions work well until the temps get really brisk, then the only solution is a Hippo Hand-like mitt. I bought some ATV Logic mitts for $20 on ebay. Took off my modified handguards, and slid these mitts on. They have a foam center which holds them pretty firm. After locating where the mirror mounts were under the mitts, I used a soldering iron to make a cauterized hole for the mounting bolt to pass thru. I split the outer seam at the bar end for the bar weights to pass thru, used zip ties to secure either side of the seam to keep the seam from spreading and to keep air from infiltrating. In a "make vs. buy" if I can see my idea come to fruition I usually make it - so I applaud efforts to improve via ingenuity... I made my own crash bars, and hidden bag mounts - a bit of steel, a mig welder, and vision is all it takes - and the result is bars that look like they were designed for the bike (I used square tubing to match angularity of K9Vee). IMO Round tubing looks okay on newer roundy Wees.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts