StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting around watching the rain, it occurred to me that one could do their own version of steel braided brake lines, if you had some solid core copper wire from, say, an old transformer coil. Just wind it around the rubber brake lines in a continuous coil. You could probably find some old aluminum core household wire that would do the same thing.

What do you think?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I don't like braided lines, particularly how you are suggesting to make them.

To me, braided lines hide any issues that could be occurring "behind the scenes".

With your idea, I see the actual brake line moving, from the "pulsing" that it does during the braking and un-braking process. With the brake line inside the casing that you are suggesting, I see an increase of possible issues occurring due to the two abrading against each other.

Just my thoughts "off of the hip".

B.L.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Parts of the brake hoses must flex as the suspension moves. Yours won't flex as they need to. Plus, they won't prevent hose swell. If the stock hoses do expand, the wire will move to accommodate that and won't return to shape.

I'm fine with stock hoses as long as they're good. When they've deteriorated, stainless reinforced aftermarket hoses are probably cheaper than stock.

For real DIY brake hoses, look at something like this:
AN Speed-Flex Hose | ANplumbing.com
You can get real hydraulic hose and the end fittings.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess my idea would flex with suspension travel, but not as easily as the braided carcass. I think the wire wrap would offer some resistance, to swelling, especialy if the ends of the wire were tied off some how.

There's not much to see on regular brake lines anyway. Failure starts from inside. Once they swell, they usually leak and then its pretty obvious that you have a problem.

Yes, it is kind-of a half-baked idea. But fun to kick around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
braided brake lines are the single most important modification to me. It's top priority on any bike i own..

Just spring for the $150 and have it done with. Best mod you'll ever do dollar for dollar.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Braided lines are useless (they were useful in the 1970's, but not anymore).
Doing your own out of copper wire is stupid.

Copper wire is much more ductile than SS; it wouldn't stop the hose from expanding even if it did expand (which it doesn't to any significant degree).

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
modern "rubber" line is not actually rubber- more like reinforced fiber. As long as the line are in good condition, it produce very little flex/bulging. All else being equal, they dont provide additional feel /reduced stopping distance when comparing new modern brake lines to new s/s lines. The manufacturer does recommend changing the brake lines every 4 years. When i change, i will change to s/s lines since they are cheaper and looks better and suppose last a very very long time (i dont what lifetime of what, the accessories manufacturer are referring to)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
modern "rubber" line is not actually rubber- more like reinforced fiber. As long as the line are in good condition, it produce very little flex/bulging. All else being equal, they dont provide additional feel /reduced stopping distance when comparing new modern brake lines to new s/s lines. The manufacturer does recommend changing the brake lines every 4 years. When i change, i will change to s/s lines since they are cheaper and looks better and suppose last a very very long time (i dont what lifetime of what, the accessories manufacturer are referring to)
I thought that S/S lines are just normal brake lines with a woven S/S shell around them. I don't really see them lasting any longer than the stock hoses.

I did change out my 15 year old stock brake hoses on the R1100R this year with new S/S lines (the liner in the stock hoses was beginning to brake down = black particles in brake fluid). To be honest, I really didn't notice any difference in feel on that bike. But the DL650 has quite a mushy feel to begin with.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Lawyers set the 'recommended' replacement time for parts like brake lines......there's no empirical data that says the brake line is toast after 4 years, or whatever, but I suppose having a CYA guideline for replacement intervals is inevitable for anything.

Everything wears out, and braided lines are pretty cheap if you buy one of those easy to assemble 'DIY kits'......but, both rubber/fiber reinforced lines [stock], and steel wrapped lines all use the same basic internal fiber reinforced line. It's just the outer coating that's different. It's the internal line that does all the heavy lifting, not the fancy braided outer, or the rubber outer. The braided outer only limits the expansion of the inner line, but the fluid expansion will go elsewhere, like the fluid reservoir [hope you didn't overfill that sucker!], rubber outers don't really limit the expansion of the line at all - just protection for the inner against contact with whatever......but anyway....For most Strom pilots, overheating the brake fluid will never be a problem, which is why many never feel any difference when they swap out for braided lines.

But, I DO think the braided lines look very nice and make any bike look better.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ss lines

My brake line on R80ST went about 15 yrs and then began to flex more and you could feel it in handle. I went to ss lines designed for mcy on that and should have done it sooner.

I intend to replace Vstrom at maybe up to 5 yrs with ss but I will be careful about product as I had read some posts that there are cheaper liner materials in some.

When I worked at aerospace plant back east yrs ago those ss lines had teflon liners that will last decades.

Not sure what is in the new ss motorcycle lines but would be interested in advice at what to look for when replacing stockers. just having a ss braid over the top of material similar to stock lines makes no sense to me as I would be looking for a liner with longer live-- to be done with it. I also have seen kevlar brakes lines on a bike and am curious about those.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bought the Spiegler kit for the R1100R. I agree that they look nice and if I am in the market for new lines, I'd choose S/S over OEM.

Outright failures of mid-nineties BMW brake lines are fairly common. Front lines have been known to burst or leak at the joints. Some have found that the liner breaks down so that pieces of material come loose after handling and end up plugging the hose at the caliper banjo connector.

Had similar issues with the fuel lines, whose liners got brittle and cracked, causing a poor seal at the connectors.

Then, for those who just want the look, you can get rad hose kits that slip over your hoses:

http://www.kmstools.com/braided-stainless-steel-hose-sleeve-chrome-12095

Of course, you'd have trouble getting the kit to slide over the connectors...

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can get the braided line "look" by using plumbing hoses from a sink or toilet, remove the braiding and slide it over your existing lines. Many cheap cruiser guys do this. :biggrinjester:

I made some lines when I had a cruiser yrs ago. The lines were aircraft hoses and had a teflon interior. I got aluminum fittings to match, and clear heatshrink went over the braiding so they wouldn't destroy everything the lines touched.

I pressure tested them myself to 3000 psi. :yikes:

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
........ When i change, i will change to s/s lines since they are cheaper and looks better and suppose last a very very long time (i don't what lifetime of what, the accessories manufacturer are referring to)
:thumbup: Hi Good Brother Ace, When Galfer says Lifetime Guaranteed they are referring to your lifetime of ownership of the bike you purchased the SS Galfer Brake Lines for. If the lines or the fittings leak they will replace the set to the original purchaser,

My experience is that they are very good on standing behind the products and warranty,

Personally, I am a long time fan of SS Lines, I have spent a lot of time at the track and when you count on your brakes at that level of pushing the bike as hard as you can there is not a soul without them on their bike,

They are not expensive and they work, so I support the use of SS Brake lines,

I like Lifetime Guaranteed,

I hope all the riding is good for you over the next few months while we deal with the various forms of winter on this end of the globe,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 14 of 14 Posts