StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys.

I've done another DIY project this time it's an ABS switch for V-Strom 650. Can be applied to any other motorcycle for that matter. I've posted it on my blog but I'll re post it here as well.

Tonight, contemplating on the 8th of March 2016 events, I decided to make myself an ABS switch. Although I made it for my 650 V-Strom, same principle can be applied to any.

I love my ABS so I will not switch it on/off pretty often. I will do it only when going off road / fire trails / gravel / etc. Because of that, I wanted a solution that would be temporary, not to be fiddled with by mistake whilst on the road, and that can leave the ABS off even after turning off/on the engine.

I decided to mount a on/off (not toggle) switch under the seat as this would make it easy to install and not easily accessible or tempered with.

It took me around 30 minutes to make it. If I would do it again, I think I can cut it down to 10.

Items needed:

strip pliers
any large (normal) fuse
a switch
fuse holder
shrinking tube (not shown here)
you can also add as I did, insulated wire terminal (crimp)

Remove the plastic from the fuse. You’ll end up something like this:

Add the fuse ends to the wire and insulate it withe the shrinking tube. Be careful don’t make the tube to long or you will have problems later when mounting on the bike. Do this process for both wires.

Seal the other ends to the switch and you should be ready to go.

It should look like the image below. Unfortunately the image below is an image from the first trial so the ends don’t look like they are now on the bike, but it should look very similar.

Add the switch to the bike and tie it up with a zip tie or whatever works for you.

I’ve tested the setup, works flawlessly.

Total cost: $2

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm not seeing any pics either. If it was pasted from another source, some additions will be needed. Clicking "edit" doesn't even show me any text.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you click on the link where he says ' on my blog ' you can see some pictures.

I have a question for the original poster; what are those things nearby your switch that look like phone batteries?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I saw a similar concept, on a different bike forum, and wondered why it couldn't be done on the V-Strom as well. Certainly looks much quicker and easier than the other method of digging into the wiring running off the ABS module itself. Nice job!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you click on the link where he says ' on my blog ' you can see some pictures.

I have a question for the original poster; what are those things nearby your switch that look like phone batteries?
There are 2 Sony action camera battery charges. As the batteries only last for 1.5 hours after being fully charged, I keep 2 of them there charging all the time and just rotating them (they are numbered).

I also have there another USB charger and 1 normal mini usb charger...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Does this setup work without having to kill and restart the bike after turning the ABS off and on?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Check eBay, you can buy the fuses with pigtails premade which makes this even easier.

A bit more stable as well as the fuse body is still present and the replacement just plugs in.

Pete

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being new to A.B.S., why do you switch it off on Gravel, fire trails & off-road
Unfortunately ABS off road can get you in trouble ... a lot of trouble, from having a very hard time stopping to cornering or avoiding obstacles.

Also, have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6IBV07V57A&feature=youtu.be&t=1m53s

If you ask google, you'll find out a lot more about why you should turn off the ABS whilst off road.

Check eBay, you can buy the fuses with pigtails premade which makes this even easier.

A bit more stable as well as the fuse body is still present and the replacement just plugs in.

Pete
True, but it costs heaps more and you can't close the lid back.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Unfortunately ABS off road can get you in trouble ... a lot of trouble, from having a very hard time stopping to cornering or avoiding obstacles.

If you ask google, you'll find out a lot more about why you should turn off the ABS whilst off road.
While I agree in principle with that statement and may add your mod to my bike, there are many pros and cons on this subject.
Here is just one article that makes a different point;

BMW's Advice for ABS Systems Off Road | Adventure Rider

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hank, of course nothing is set in stones, hence the temporary mod.

As for that large thread, I indent to read it tomorrow.

I'll post a picture for you taken 4 days ago, on 8th of March (video uploading).

I know trails, V-Strom, heavy, tires, etc, etc, etc ... :)

But what happened there:

I was going up hill, whilst on the first gear and accelerating, the bike lost grip and stopped whilst the wheel was still spinning. I hit the brakes and the ABS kicked in. I went backwards down hill till I dropped the bike as it gained speed. If I had ABS off .... :( That fall set the stone for few others bike naps and few more mistakes that day which almost made me call the emergency services. Took me more than 1 hour to get the bike upright and on the top of the hill. I was exhausted after that. 40 degrees Celsius (104 F) didn't help either.

*EDIT*
After reading the first post, I realized I found myself in the same situation:

"The only situation that I feel most or all riders should turn off their ABS would be on very steep, loose surface descents. In this situation, the available traction is so low that it is inevitable that the rear wheel will start to skid if as the rider tries to control the speed. In this situation the ABS system may make a rider feel that they have less control."

That's when I turn the ABS off, otherwise I feel very comfortable with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts

One time, I was in a situation where i had to low-side on purpose to avoid going over the side of a dirt road and crashing into boulders. I wasn't going fast so no harm done and it sure beat the alternative of going off the road. Would not have been able to do that with ABS.

Plus, it's just plain fun sometimes to be able to slide the rear in the dirt.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just wondering, if you have to pull the seat to get to the switch, can't you just pull a fuse?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hm. Good point there Oink. Well a few more feet of wire could certainly put the switch in a more convenient location. I like how easy this mod would be, but the fact that it requires the bike to be re-started to get the ABS back on, makes me think I might want to take the extra time to do the other mod that works off the wiring at the ABS unit itself. Still appreciate your sharing this with us though Julles! :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wondering, if you have to pull the seat to get to the switch, can't you just pull a fuse?
I was doing just that. But for me it's just more convenient to have a switch and not to pull fuses. It's faster and I have the piece of mind of not losing the fuse. I'm prone to losing things :mod2_sweatdrop:

The reason of mounting it there and not on the handlebar is that I don't want to turn it on/off by mistake and I will not switch it very often.

For me is not inconvenient to have it there as I have 2 batteries under the seat and I remove the seat every 1.5 hours anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts