StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this question has already been asked. My searching didn't come up with anything specific.

I was just wondering if I can do this maintenance on my own. From what I see in the manual, it's mainly the oil change, re-torquing bolts, and inspecting different elements (I checked, and I'm good on the recall). The only thing that got me at all concerned was that one dealer I talked to said that it may need a valve inspection/adjustment, but I don't see that until further down the road - does that actually need to happen at 600mi?

So my question(s) are more for those that have done the maintenance yourself.

1. Easy enough to do at home on a stand?
2. Anyone have a service manual that would be kind enough to share bolts to check/torque with the specs?
3. Valve adjustment?
4. Any other maintenance items that are listed in the service manual but not the owner's manual?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Yup it can all be done yourself, that is what the majority of us do. What search are you using, the "Google" search box is on the upper right corner of the forum?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Suzuki will supposedly void your warranty if the dealer doesn't do the first one. To make sure the engine is still in spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The following comments involve USA warranty rules only as the Magnuson-Moss warranty act applies. That's absolutely not true. A dealer cannot void a warranty. Suzuki, not any dealer, would have to show that any failure was due to error or neglect to void a warranty on parts affected by such error or neglect. There is no blanket voiding. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer. The work does not have to be done by the selling dealer, or, for that matter, any dealer or certified repair facility. Owners can do their own work, keeping a record of dates and mileages at which work is done and keeping receipts for materials like oil and filters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup it can all be done yourself, that is what the majority of us do. What search are you using, the "Google" search box is on the upper right corner of the forum?
I used both the Google search as well as the "Search this forum" option. I tried looking through a couple of different forums as well but didn't really come up with anything. Maybe I'm just not using the right search terminology.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I wish I could give Greywolf's comments more than one "like", and that riders in the US would familiarize themselves with their rights as a warranty holder. It would benefit all of us if we could stop that little tidbit of misinformation (that only a dealer can service your bike or it voids the warranty) from being spread.

This thread is also illustrative of why you have to take what a service department says with a grain of salt. A 600 mile valve check is either a blatant attempt to gouge you, or else a pretty fair indicator that your service department has no idea what they're talking about. I encountered the opposite of this problem when I owned my V-Strom; when the first scheduled valve check rolled around, I could not convince the closest Suzuki service center to do it, even when I showed them the maintenance interval in the owner's manual. Their position was that there were never any valves out of adjustment at that interval, so they didn't bother with that service. It's probably fortunate that I ended up selling the bike, since the next nearest shop that worked on Suzukis was an hour away.

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Suzuki will supposedly void your warranty if the dealer doesn't do the first one. To make sure the engine is still in spec.

You are "so wrong" about that, I sincerely hope you are not listening to a dealer or other "misinformed people on this forum"?

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
That's what mine told me and I let them do the first one

I apologize for you dealer, as you were flat out lied to and swindled out of your money. I would never give that dealer any business ever again, buyer beware. Many folks here know a thing or 2 about these bikes/any bikes, and how many times dealers being both inept on service and getting busted for flat out lies.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Here's a list of torque specs. Be sure to read down for modifications to a few of them.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/54426-torque-values-dl1000.html

I would be interested in how many folks actually find loose fasteners on their bikes, especially newer ones. I've never found any loose factory-installed bolts on my bikes, especially never one that used threadlock. I wonder if Suzuki put that provision in there just to cover their collective arses. I don't make it a methodical routine, but when I'm working on the bike I will check convenient fasteners in that area. I just give them a little pressure to make sure they're not falling out, not breaking them loose and no torque wrench. As someone once pointed out, those torques are not static, so you really need to loosen and then re-torque, and if it has threadlock, remove and clean and re-apply threadlock. That would be quite a job, and unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. And then you have all the inaccessible fasteners, like inside the engine, that are pretty important but never checked. Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion and not meant for advice or recommendations for anyone doing maintenance work on motorcycles.

And changing oil on these is super-easy, no special stands needed. A skid plate slows it down a little, but still a job most anyone who has mastered riding a motorcycle can do themselves.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super helpful info. Thanks to all.

As I suspected, most of the maintenance schedule is pretty basic. Saves me a trip to the dealer - not to mention a bit of $$.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
A service manual is a big help. I bought one for both my V-Strom and my Super Tenere. They'll help you do the maintenance items that aren't covered in the owner's manual, like changing brake pads, bleeding the brakes, synchronizing the throttle bodies, replacing the air filter, etc. Up to the point of having to do the first valve check, there aren't any items on the service intervals that you can't do yourself. Lots of guys do their own valve checks, but I defer that task to the shop. One nice thing about having the service manual is that it gives you a chance to look at a task, see how complicated it will be and if it needs any special tools, and then you can decide if you want to tackle it yourself. Even if you decide you don't want to do it, you'll have a better idea of what actually needs to be done if you take it to a dealership.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kind of related question - I recall seeing something about waiting to switch to 100% synthetic oil. I can't remember the reasoning for that, or if it is personal preference/wives tale.

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Kind of related question - I recall seeing something about waiting to switch to 100% synthetic oil. I can't remember the reasoning for that, or if it is personal preference/wives tale.
Lets just say "without this turning into an oil thread", that it makes absolutely ZERO different when you decide to go synthetic. Those that believe otherwise, are delusional........

No more oil talk, or I will have to close this thread. :grin2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lets just say "without this turning into an oil thread", that it makes absolutely ZERO different when you decide to go synthetic. Those that believe otherwise, are delusional........

No more oil talk, or I will have to close this thread. :grin2:
That's what I thought.

I knew I was dancing a fine line. Definitely not wanting this to erupt into a 190 page argument. :furious:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts