StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got the Wee, I really wanted the Caribou cases and no top box at all. I got lucky and found one with Pelican cases mounted to Givi racks, but also a Givi top box (which was easy to remove). After I realized that the Pelican's on Givi racks wound up making the Wee significantly wider than my ST1100, I took them off and rode around with no luggage at all. I really liked the handling of the Wee without luggage a lot, but I missed having a place to toss a few random things. I decided that I wanted a top box, but I didn't want to use the Givi since they don't quite fit the look of the bike.

I decided that one of the 1550's would make a great top box, be narrow enough for the bike and short enough not to look too odd (in my opinion) on the back. I removed the rubber pad on the rear rack and used the center hole and the two back holes in that rack for directly bolting the Pelican to it. It seemed a little floppy, so I took a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum plate that I had and cut it approximately 5" wide and 9" long and put that on the same bolt holes, but sticking off of the back of the rack to give the Pelican some support on the underside. It works beautifully, leaves plenty of room for a passenger (that I never intend on riding with me), and is unobtrusive. I think I'll add soft luggage if I ever want to do a trip on the Wee, but for normal riding the top box is all it will see.

A couple small things left to do still. I need to perform a fenderectomy now and I need to design a tie-down rack that mounts to the top of the top box.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yup, I avoid side cases like the plague. makes the bike way too wide. Handguards and mirrors are bad enough in traffic...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any chance you could post a pic of the mounts? I've been meaning to do something like this and could use a bit of a guide.

Also, is there any way to quickly remove it, or does it have to be fully unscrewed?

·
Registered
244 Posts
with a good top box, tank bag, and a waterproof sack to strap across the passenger seat - i think you could easily pack for long distance touring. i have the happy trails tetons (7.5") - but only wear them on trips or when two up for day rides.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not make it for quick detachment, but that may be in my future.

In the near future, I don't plan on taking the Wee on any long distance touring. I still have the ST1100, which will crush the Wee as far as comfort for touring. But someday when I finally do that trip to Alaska, the Wee will be my go-to bike for that trip. Soft saddlebags and a pack on the back seat should be all I need in conjunction with this top box.

·
Registered
588 Posts
While out riding with a buddy of mine earlier this week we swapped rides for a couple hours. He's on an '08 Vevadero while I'm on my V. He has a set of Trax sides on and after riding the backroads for a while, I don't think I'll I'll ever bother mounting a set of hard bags to the V. They're like flying a Spinnaker into the wind! I couldn't believe the difference in drag and of course, the extra beam in the woods was a pain as well.

I like my Givi 46 on top but I think I'll probably pick up a set of soft sides to throw over the rear if I ever need the extra storage.

BTW, love the road sign in your garage. ;)

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
I installed a set of footmans' loops on the top box so I can strap stuff to it. Just used fender washers underneath to take the pull through the plastic.
I, too, also, tried a trip without the saddlebags using a white water bag on top of the U pack behind the seat pulled tight against the top box.
Worked well. I'm putting the Suzuki bags on this time for a 2 1/2 week trip just for the hey of it.
I may find the stacked bag scenario preferable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts