StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years, my life revolved around music. It still does, though to a lesser degree. I'm not sure I could do any long car ride without music.

I've never done a trip over 45min - 1hr. I'm planning a longer haul in a few weeks.

Does anyone ride with an ipod and earbuds? I realize several of my threads I've poo-pooed technology. I'm not talking about constantly searching for songs. I'm talking about creating a playlist, plugging in, and riding.

Or is it a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
it tends to make me "ride to the music", which depending on the soundtrack, can be a bad thing.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It depends on the person. If the rider's mind keeps music in the background on a long trip, it can be safe enough. It may be the default for cars. Music tempo affecting speed can happen if the rider tends to focus on the music. If the music becomes the main focus in city traffic, it can be very bad. I use the MP3 player function of my GPS on the Interstate with the electronic cruise control usually keeping my speed where it belongs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm taking one highway which is two lanes, not very busy at all, and rather scenic and laid back. I'm also taking a single lane state road which is about as straight as you can get and also sparsely populated. Once I get into the busy rush hour around the city, I think I would turn down/off the music. I tend to in the car anyway so I can concentrate.

I don't know if my dad was pulling my chain, but he used to tell me, driving with headphones in was illegal. it seems now with iPhones, I see people on calls all the time, which, I suppose is better than one hand holding it. Still, I didn't know if there were any legal restrictions to using headphones while riding.

Greywolf, what kind of GPS do you have? Do most come with a music mode? I haven't bought a GPS in ages since the droids started coming with Google Map Navigation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use ear plugs and my Sena bluetooth headset helmet with speakers and listen to music almost everytime I ride.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I do both , depending on the circumstances. I have a Scala Q3 , so it's always available.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I see it as a distraction. I have ridden with riders who plug in first thing before they take off and get the music set just right. I'd fall asleep pretty quickly with music in my ears. I think riders also use their ears to help be aware of other traffic, especially trucks, and for sirens. Personally, I like to hear the engine, too. Lets me know if it's happy or not. Bobby

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
A genius here or other took the make your own silicone ear plugs AND ear buds actually noise canceling ear buds at that and made custom ear buds

Said they worked great

Note the silicone ones work to get a good wad deep into the ear canal then push into lobe for security

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Lot's of people do it, but I'm in the "bad idea" camp. Sure, on long rides I would appreciate the distraction, but that would be what it was - a distraction.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. Check the specs on any GPS to see if it has an MP3 function. Some do and some don't. Different states have different laws. Check at State-by-state motorcycle laws

As you can see, I'm breaking the law.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they wrote a song about that.

I'm torn between enjoying the scenery and just being content with that vs my routine. I suppose bikes have different normals than cars anyway.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I prefer not to have music when I ride. For me the engine is music enough. I do often wear ear plugs. I also have a particular hearing condition that makes loud noise painful and quiet sounds inaudible. Freakin' frustrating it is, as I'd need the volume from the MP3 player up so loud to be heard over road noise etc that it would hurt and fatigue me.
Even with ear plugs in I can hear other traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Life long music lover but when on the scoot I strive to focus on driving conditions. Much less margin for error on two wheels than four. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Actually the margin for error is the same, it's just that in a car it's someone else that usually suffers from the driver's inattention.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Actually the margin for error is the same, it's just that in a car it's someone else that usually suffers from the driver's inattention.
I don't know about that. I figure an unnoticed 2x4, tire gator, or errant turkey would be a more serious problem for a bike.

Hmm, in re-reading the posts, I think we are arriving at the same point from opposite directions.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I have tried music a few different ways and it always sounded so horrible i had to turn it off, it just gave me a headache after a while. No tone or definition and it was nearly inaudible on the highway unless you cranked it up, which would make you deaf quickly.

I never tried custom earplugs though. Do those have any fidelity?

I did find the music to be relaxing when riding. I didn't find it to be a distraction at all, in fact i thought it helped keep me alert.

What I would love to see would be a helmet with built-in ear cups that could extend onto your ears after you put the helmet on, with an external mic so you could still hear, but the music would be crystal clear, no wind noise, and the best part, nothing stuck in your ear.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My Scala Q3 sound is surprisingly good. And I can communicate with others that use the same unit to boot.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I always listen to music when I ride, but it's generally at a fairly low volume so I can hear traffic too.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
I'll use earbuds and my iphone for tunes but only when I get out of urban areas and away from heavy traffic. It also depends on the helmet. I have a Scorpion EXO700 that is the quietest helmet I've ever worn on the Wee but it somehow cancels out all the mid-range sound (weird). The Bell Revolver is much noisier but with a good seal works fine.

·
Administrator
13,809 Posts
I have helmet speakers and usually listen to music from my iPod (and if the iPod runs out of battery I have music on the Zumo 660.

I have a few playlists that could go for a couple of days. I know the songs and am used to what is coming up. I find that when I play the music I do a much better job at focusing on riding. Since I am very familiar with the music it dissappears from my mind if I need to focus more; and when traveling on boring roads it keeps my mind from wondering too much.

Different strokes for different folks.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 68 Posts