StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch, had a cager coming at me and turn left in front of me (mere feet). Choices included a broadside crash and flying over the roof or dumping on my right side. That was my pick. Anyway, a dislocated hip, multiple contussions, abrasions and a broken thumb later here I am looking for help in straightening out the bent alloy brake pedal on my '02 DL1000. Also looking for anyone who might have crashed on the left side and may have a SW Motech Crash bar for the right side in good shape. The Crash bars kept all the plastic except the black side cowl bumber off the street. Engine fine. Parts replaced were right directional stalk, the aforementioned cowl piece and right footpedal and bracket. Hoping to straighten the brake pedal but not sure how to bend alloy. Next bike will have ABS.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was just on a trip where one of the guys dropped his 09 DL 1000 on the right side, bent the brake pedal 180 degrees. He was able to - slowly - straighten it with a pipe wrench (borrowed from a passing truck). Give it a try - you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hoping to straighten the brake pedal but not sure how to bend alloy.
I've bent the foot brake lever twice. You can bend it back to shape depending on the severity of the bend if you're careful. I kind of straightened mine and then rode with it slightly misshapen for three years until my latest off which wrecked it completely. There was the occasional heavy application of the rear brake during that time, and the lever stood up well.

But you must never heat the lever. This results in a component which looks alright and probably will perform satisfactorily for a while. However you run the unacceptable risk that in an emergency situation the lever could behave with the strength of a banana because the molecular integrity of the alloy has been compromised by heating it.

Best advice---fit a new one. My repairer was horrified that I had been riding for so long with a damaged lever.They cost $100 here in Oz, but I now realise that for such an important safety item, you don't have a choice. You must replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Heal quick, get that bike back together and get back on the road.

While you're putting you bike back together; you really ought to consider installing a headlight modulator. That'll end almost all possibilities of a car turning left in front of you. Unless they're seditious about it.....

If that cager saw you, he wouldn't have turned in front of you.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

You need this model for a Vstrom: P115W-S-D

·
Registered
323 Posts
brake lever

Another option that i have used on other bikes is to straighten your lever ,slowly and gently as best you can and then use it as a spare when out on a larger trip where getting one right away may be difficult... hope your feeling better soon ....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Heal quick, get that bike back together and get back on the road.

While you're putting you bike back together; you really ought to consider installing a headlight modulator. That'll end almost all possibilities of a car turning left in front of you. Unless they're seditious about it.....

If that cager saw you, he wouldn't have turned in front of you.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

You need this model for a Vstrom: P115W-S-D
Here is one for the books. Driver turns left in front of motorcyclist, causing motorcycle to go out of control and hit light standard. Statement from cage driver to Officer," the motorcycle flashed his lights at me so I thought he meant it was OK to turn." :headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here is one for the books. Driver turns left in front of motorcyclist, causing motorcycle to go out of control and hit light standard. Statement from cage driver to Officer," the motorcycle flashed his lights at me so I thought he meant it was OK to turn." :headbang::headbang:
Nope, not hardly. A modulator's frequency cannot be mistaken for a "voluntarily" signaling of the headlights by the rider.

...nice try in the vain attempt to manufacturer an excuse not to use them.

I've been running modulators on all three of my bikes for over two years. Not one incident of a car/truck during abruptly in front of me. Prior to running modulators, have had cars/trucks either turn, or attempt to turn in front of me.

The proof is in the pudding cupcake :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts